U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 06:08 AM

192 posts, read 423,956 times

Advertisements

Do most people actually swim in the beaches of SoCal? Or is it usually just surfers in wet suits? How warm does the water get? Do people go to the beach in the winter?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 07:10 AM

26,362 posts, read 55,867,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewatergirl888 View Post
Do most people actually swim in the beaches of SoCal? Or is it usually just surfers in wet suits? How warm does the water get? Do people go to the beach in the winter?

Thanks
Water temperatures in usually in the mid to high 60s F in summer and high 50s F in winter. I think the water temperature is a little warmer closer to San Diego versus central California.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:44 AM

50,021 posts, read 42,368,204 times
Quote:

Thanks
As kids and teens (we were kids then I guess) we swam in the ocean all the time. The biggest problems are things like undertows etc. As for the how warm, compared to the Atlantic ocean it is freezing cold, but still swimable, The further south you go, the warmer, making San Diego water the best. Do people swim in the winter or go to the beach, some will go to the beach, only idiots will swim.

Nita

Old 08-15-2009, 08:50 AM

1,546 posts, read 3,961,492 times
In San Diego, Coronado Beach (where we used to go when we lived there) gets heavy crowds of tourists and family beach-goers. The water might be a little cool at times, but it never seemed to deter people from playing in the surf in the warm summer months.

Old 08-15-2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
compared to the Atlantic ocean it is freezing cold,
When you say Atlantic, are you including the northern states?

Old 08-15-2009, 03:59 PM

3,717 posts, read 7,084,168 times
Quote:

Thanks
It really depends what you mean by swim in the ocean. What's your point of reference? Have you swam in the ocean before and if so where?

I grew up in SoCal at the beach. From a very young age I played, swam, and surfed in the ocean. My father was a beach lifeguard and made sure to get me in swim lessons at an early age. The thing you have to realize is that most ppl don't swim in the ocean unless of course they are into to open ocean swimming. They do other sports like bodysurfing (which invloves swimming), bodyboarding, and surfing. There are waves on the west coast most of the year. So you have to swim past the surf then once out in deeper water ppl sometimes swim. Personally if I want to swim I hit the pool as I don't like swallowing salt water from the waves. Otherwise I hit the waves for fun.

Temeraptures do vary as much as 15 degrees (55-70). In the Winter open ocean swimmers wear special triathlete type wetsuits which are more flexible than surfing wetsuits. Once the water dips below 60 you don't want to swim without a wetsuit. It is too cold and you will start to turn different shades of blue/purple/red. Of course there are always those exceptions to the general rule (polar bear types). But 99% will require some kind of wetsuit.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 08-15-2009 at 04:16 PM..

Old 08-15-2009, 05:05 PM

14,023 posts, read 9,933,482 times
Oh, for gosh sakes! It's the OCEAN! What do you think? That people just sit on the beach and watch the surf, unlike the rest of the world?

Jeez O' Pete!

Old 08-15-2009, 06:13 PM

668 posts, read 2,000,221 times
The water is decent from San Diego to about Pismo, then it becomes really cold. I grew up in Santa Barbara/Ventura and always swam (boogie board/body surf) in the ocean until about October. I think it is decent from May to Oct, but sissy types won't agree and would probably say Jun-Aug! I was kind of tough for a girl and stayed in the ocean for hours. You always see tons of kids in the ocean, but the moms mostly just sticking their feet in. My mom is in her 60's and she still goes out there with the best of them, but it really depends on your personality. Now that I am in NC, I realize the Pacific is freaking cold!!! I would take it back in a heartbeat though.....you can't beat the waves! The original part of your question about actual swimming, in the summer you would see a lone person here or there past the waves swimming. Most of us average folk hang out in the waves body surfing.

Old 08-15-2009, 06:16 PM

668 posts, read 2,000,221 times
Quote:
When you say Atlantic, are you including the northern states?
The most north I ever got was CT and in the summer their ocean was very warm compared to CA. I also remember tons of red jelly fish in August. I am not sure about how warm the water is say in Cape Cod or north like that. In NC is it is amazingly warm like almost 80 degrees in the summer.

Old 08-16-2009, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
It really depends what you mean by swim in the ocean. What's your point of reference? Have you swam in the ocean before and if so where?
I grew up swimming on Cape Cod in MA. I used to be in the water for hours. Now that I am older, I find that I am so much more sensitive to the cold water.

There are some beaches on Cape Cod that are really warm (South Side of the Cape) as well as some beaches in RI. Beaches on the North Side of the Cape, and up the coast of MA are freezing! Most people seem to just stick their feet in.

I was just wondering about how warm the water got in SoCal the summer (as compared to MA - anyone have a comparison?).

A friend of mine grew up in Pismo Beach. She said the ocean was great for surfing, but not swimming, and prefers the beaches of Florida now.

Thanks for your replies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California