Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 11:18 AM

251 posts, read 823,533 times

Advertisements

In Canada there is a strong opinion that we pay much more taxes than in States, so i decided to calculate rates using different websites.

Result i got was very strange. I took as gross income 120K.

I got in California (both Fed and State tax) = $36,176
In Ontario (both Fed and provincial) = $36,719
In Alberta (both Fed and provincial) = $33,865 (much lower than in Cali)

Maybe I did something wrong?

I used:
Tax Brackets (Federal Income Tax Rates) 2000 through 2009
Canadian Income Tax Calculator 2009
California Income Tax Rates - California & other state tax rates information. CA tax calculator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 11:40 AM

1,369 posts, read 3,299,804 times
MapleLeaf,

The reason Canadians, in general, pay higher taxes is the IRS is much more generous with the number of deductions on your return than the CRA is. You can deduct local and state taxes on the federal return, property taxes, 100% of mortgage interest, etc. The actual tax rates aren't much different, but the tax rate is only part of the component. Calculators can never in factor specific deductions because they are dependent on the individual tax payers situation. Some people probably will pay similar amounts of tax between US and Canada; others will pay much more in Canada depending what types of deduction items either person has.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:38 PM

273 posts, read 650,010 times
I think if he only got nicked for his calculations for CA/IRS total of 30.15 %, he did good. Or the fictitious wage earner did good.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:37 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,231,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeaf View Post
In Canada there is a strong opinion that we pay much more taxes than in States, so i decided to calculate rates using different websites.

I used:
California Income Tax Rates - California & other state tax rates information. CA tax calculator.
I'm betting that Alberta has maybe 25% of the infrastructure to support.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:30 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,514,454 times
We have some deductions that are expected and no receipt needed, as in travel. It can get very creative, scary but creative. I usually only pay 25% total.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:46 PM

3 posts, read 9,608 times
I have something to ask about my tax return. I'am married and i'm living wiht her in her parents house so when i want to fill my tax i did not claim her because she is claimed as dependant by her parents so i filled as a single and now i would like use my tax return for school aid financial and in my school paper i claim as married.

I would like to know what will be the impact on my school aid financial or for my future

Old 08-17-2009, 09:27 PM

30,856 posts, read 36,768,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drshang View Post
MapleLeaf,

The reason Canadians, in general, pay higher taxes is the IRS is much more generous with the number of deductions on your return than the CRA is. You can deduct local and state taxes on the federal return, property taxes, 100% of mortgage interest, etc. The actual tax rates aren't much different, but the tax rate is only part of the component. Calculators can never in factor specific deductions because they are dependent on the individual tax payers situation. Some people probably will pay similar amounts of tax between US and Canada; others will pay much more in Canada depending what types of deduction items either person has.
Good point. I would add Canada also has a goods and services tax (GST) that is somewhere in the 13% to 15% range, right? That certainly adds up. Even California's sales tax isn't that high.

I might not mind paying Canada's higher taxes. However, what MapleLeaf doesn't understand is that our government is not accountable to the people. And most of the people who disagree with that are the people not paying much in taxes and/or dependent on the gov't for some kind of aid.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Good point. I would add Canada also has a goods and services tax (GST) that is somewhere in the 13% to 15% range, right? That certainly adds up. Even California's sales tax isn't that high.

I might not mind paying Canada's higher taxes. However, what MapleLeaf doesn't understand is that our government is not accountable to the people. And most of the people who disagree with that are the people not paying much in taxes and/or dependent on the gov't for some kind of aid.
Partially it's correct . In cali "[SIZE=2]State Sales Tax: 8.25% (food and prescription drugs exempt. Tax varies according to locality. Can be as high as 10.25%)[/SIZE]".
In Canada sales tax combined from GST (5% and descreses avery year y 1%) and PST that depend on the province (ex Ontario 8%, Alberta - 0%). Many goods exempt from both PST and GST, or only from PST.
So, overall I understand that in NA the cheapest place to live is Alberta.

Could you please explain the 2nd part of your post, sorry, i did't understand

Old 08-18-2009, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
We have some deductions that are expected and no receipt needed, as in travel. It can get very creative, scary but creative. I usually only pay 25% total.
Could you please extend on this? What is meaning "in travel"?

Old 08-18-2009, 11:16 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,292,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeaf View Post

I used:
Here, if you add the entire tax burden we're worse off than people in France!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California