Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2013, 07:18 PM

14,848 posts, read 21,380,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
That buyback program must be working.
Trust me no one would wanna buy back my dildos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 07:34 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,221,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Trust me no one would wanna buy back my dildos
OK since we're devolved into silliness, I'm reasonable certain there is a small, but active, market in such "merchandise".

Kudos to Curmudgeon, on the civics lesson too!

Kudos to Snort whose arcane knowledge of most things arcane is top of the heap as well.

Nsilander, I'm still processing.

Invincible, ditto

Old 08-14-2013, 07:44 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,513,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyyo View Post
Texas is last in the country in the number of adults with a high-school diploma, and number one in the number of adults without health insurance. Texas also has one of the highest firearms related crime rates in the country, and has more of its population living below the poverty line than almost any other state. Texas also had to rely on Federal stimulus money to bail them out of a $9 Billion state deficit.

So tell me, how is Texas doing better than California?
Where are the reports to back up your ridiculous and inaccurate statements? I post actual reports with factual studies. You appear to be talking out your as* Oh and about that poverty line...CA takes the prize. Also, $9 billion debt is NOTHING compared to CA's $25 billion...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2132920.html

http://www.smdailyjournal.com/articl...y/1771313.html

Last edited by dexter14; 08-14-2013 at 07:52 PM..

Old 08-14-2013, 07:53 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,526,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
OK since we're devolved into silliness, I'm reasonable certain there is a small, but active, market in such "merchandise".
Well, secondary markets can be quite lucrative. Convince Moody's to give a AAA rating, and you could get appointed Secretary of the Treasury.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:23 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,526,842 times
event:Back in Black - New York vs. Texas - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart - 07/17/13 - Video Clip | Comedy Central

Old 08-14-2013, 09:37 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,513,466 times
Funny, but New York is a cesspool. The only place that might actually be worse than southern California. Worse overcrowding, nauseating traffic, disgusting run down neighborhoods and aggressive homeless people, extremely rude locals and everything is far too expensive. Thats just off the top of my head...To top it off, their economy is in decline and they were just ranked the 35th state for business. In comparison, Texas has a booming economy second only to California and it was ranked the 2nd best state for business. NY is a joke.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:12 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,308,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
Funny, but New York is a cesspool. The only place that might actually be worse than southern California. Worse overcrowding, nauseating traffic, disgusting run down neighborhoods and aggressive homeless people, extremely rude locals and everything is far too expensive. Thats just off the top of my head...To top it off, their economy is in decline and they were just ranked the 35th state for business. In comparison, Texas has a booming economy second only to California and it was ranked the 2nd best state for business. NY is a joke.
Goodness! Besides Texas is there anyplace you like? In fact, besides CA and OR is there anyplace you've ever actually been and spent time? Such negativity! If you take it with you to your next victim....umm....destination you'll fail there too.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:02 PM

30,855 posts, read 36,746,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
It looks as if the author of the original column wants to come back now. Apparently she's planning to move to Orange County. After breaking up with California, strong second thoughts - latimes.com
It's like a few other posters said...she likes CA when things are good and dumps it when they are bad...just like a pimply boyfriend or a "hot stock" that goes sour.

Same superficial analysis in the second post as in the first.

California's underlying issues haven't changed at all. They're just being covered over by a slightly better economy than in 2009.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:03 PM

30,855 posts, read 36,746,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
I find her optimism strange, around the same time she left I decided to stay in the state to see how things were going to evolve.....and other than the improved unemployment rate (which doesn't directly affect me) I haven't seen any positive changes. The state has just returned to the system that produced the problem, for I guess, round two.

Of course when this author loses her California jobs, I'm sure she'll dump California again.
Yep.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:17 PM

6,275 posts, read 6,925,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pll View Post
This is so accurate! You were right on with your description of what it is like to live up there.
We lasted 4 miserable years in Washington state. The lack of sun, the damp air, grey skies and rain was unbearable. The people that do the best in WA (and other states with WEATHER) are the natives. They are used to it and they don't know any different.
Wow, I know that Californian's don't travel much. But even when they move??? It is under 200 road miles from Seattle to Chelan!!!

Anyway, living 40 miles from Chelan, Washington here are a few facts about the town.

It rains less in Chelan than in Los Angeles. Total precip is less even with the sometime snow that Chelan gets in the winter.

Chelan gets 300 plus days of sunshine a year. It is in EASTERN Washington.....much of which is high desert.

Chelan is a small town with a population of 4,000. It does have cheap carbon-free electricity supplied by the publically owned utility district. Cost is 2.3 cents a kilo-watt hour. They have also had fiber optic lines to homes for over a decade now and you can get 1 Gbps internet through local service providers.

Library is part of a five county system, where since 1986 you could order books on the internet(it was known as Fido-net in those days) and they are mailed to your house. Decent schools.

It is a great place to live, except during the summer when all of Seattle shows up. It is the Lake Tahoe of Washington state. There is another downside to Chelan....it is more expensive than Tahoe.

But with all the wineries around the lake....you can just drink your troubles about the high cost of real estate away.

Here is the link with some pictures: Visit Lake Chelan-The Official Site of the Lake Chelan Chamber of Commerce
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California