Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 05:54 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,466,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Having moved to CA from OH a few years ago, and being a frequent FL and AZ visitor, I can tell you that doesn't reflect what I have seen.

Food cost here seem to be pretty much in line with other locations, but gas is generally $.10-.25 higher. Looking at our state's Von's, Ralph's or Safeway, I don't see Publix, Giant Eagle, Pathmark or Kroger with lower prices. Utilities and cable seem to be in line too, along with medicine and medical care bills. Clothing isn't higher here, just in line with the other places I mentioned.

Overall, I find housing and some taxes/fees higher here, but that is about it.
I'm in the food business. It's well known in the industry that California is the highest priced market in the country. The Bay area and LA/OC counties are the worst. IE and the central valley are not as bad off.

It's partially due to the high cost of doing business in the state that retailers simply pass on to customers in the way of higher prices. And it's also because the 2 big markets are dominated by divisions of the large national grocers - Safeway, Supervalu & Kroger. These chains charge higher prices and "harvest" profit dollars in CA to make up for the lower margins they get in other markets where they are forced to charged reduced prices to compete with Wal-Mart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 09:53 PM

257 posts, read 407,720 times
Many are dumping California now days, mainly because it's nothing like it used to be.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:34 AM
pll

1,112 posts, read 2,486,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
I'd say I'm less unhappy in California. More broke though, but I would rather be broke in CA than well off in a state where there is absolutely nothing to do and your stuck indoors 7 months out of the year.
I agree completely. Other places don't provide the outdoor activities all year long like CA. If they do...it usually stops from Oct-March. Yes, you can ski (expensive) and other outdoor winter sports. But you have to like to be cold.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:44 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,812,827 times
It looks as if the author of the original column wants to come back now. Apparently she's planning to move to Orange County. After breaking up with California, strong second thoughts - latimes.com

Old 08-11-2013, 11:51 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Dramatic farewells always amuse me. She deserted during a downturn and wants back in now that things are looking up. I'm here for the long term, good, bad or indifferent.

Where she moved (Chelan) might have something to do with her change of heart.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:57 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times
I find her optimism strange, around the same time she left I decided to stay in the state to see how things were going to evolve.....and other than the improved unemployment rate (which doesn't directly effect me) I haven't seen any positive changes. The state has just returned to the system that produced the problem, for I guess, round two.

Of course when this author loses her California jobs, I'm sure she'll dump California again.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:13 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
I find her optimism strange, around the same time she left I decided to stay in the state to see how things were going to evolve.....and other than the improved unemployment rate (which doesn't directly effect me) I haven't seen any positive changes. The state has just returned to the system that produced the problem, for I guess, round two.

Of course when this author loses her California jobs, I'm sure she'll dump California again.
She's a catchy writer, though. Cute article.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:38 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,562,808 times
I've moved on. In fact, I'm in a wonderful relationship with your best friend. And your little sister.

Take care of yourself,
California.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:42 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,278,655 times
I'm sure California is really upset over this. Too bad there are no other suitors

Old 08-11-2013, 01:29 PM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,266,083 times
I think two well written articles that channel thoughts of a lot of people. Those that had the courage to buy California while people were bailing have made out pretty well. Nonetheless, welcome home Candice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California