Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 09:03 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I don't think you are over reacting and I'm frankly amazed at most of the other responses thus far. They seem to be saying that companies should be allowed to break the law because times are tough. That is baloney and that kind of thinking is one of the main reasons employer abuse is on the rise and why we are heading back to the sweat shop days we thought were behind us for good.

Now, I'm not saying that there is no potential risk or hardship involved in fighting this. But unless people stand up to abuse, our quality of life will continue to slide. Bad people prevail when good people do nothing. What they did, as you describe it, is clearly illegal.

Sorry, I can't help you as far as where to report, but a little bit of web searching should yield an answer to that. Good luck.
What about if the employee is exempt from labor laws? (i.e. salaried exempt?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 09:06 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
What about if the employee is exempt from labor laws? (i.e. salaried exempt?)
Call center jobs that I know of are not normally exempt positions and I'm going on the assumption that this one is not.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:10 AM

273 posts, read 655,466 times
As I pointed out, the law may not have been broken, just stretched. Tell the wife to take really small bites (it's better for you anyway) and keep taking calls. If management complains about the food at her desk, I would politely remind them they provided the food and directed when to eat and when not to.

Keep a log of times, names and dates of all irregularities, It could be useful some day. Don't keep the log on a disk or leave any information at work. Jot it down on a slip of paper and record it at home.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehcsrop View Post
As I pointed out, the law may not have been broken, just stretched.
Stretched? Nonsense.

If she was required to clock out for lunch but not free to take lunch - to relax, do as she pleased, and enjoy her lunch, the law was broken. Where on earth is this kind of thinking coming from?

Old 08-19-2009, 09:23 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,393,687 times
From my understanding if one works 9-5 in California, the employer is supposed to give the employee a 30 minute lunch break.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
From my understanding if one works 9-5 in California, the employer is supposed to give the employee a 30 minute lunch break.
And during that time off the clock (that is the assumption I'm going on) the employer cannot tell them they can't eat lunch or even require them to attend a meeting.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:29 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
It has never been my experience (or rarely but it was implied that we were working through lunch) to have a company paid lunch. In the case above, they could only charge 7.5 hours of labor OR work 9-530 (or equivalent). The law quote on the above post is consistent with this though the point of the quote is that the employer shall make the time available even though lunch is on the employee's own time.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:02 AM

273 posts, read 655,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Stretched? Nonsense.

If she was required to clock out for lunch but not free to take lunch - to relax, do as she pleased, and enjoy her lunch, the law was broken. Where on earth is this kind of thinking coming from?
I didn't say I agreed. I just quoted the law. Looks to me as if there is a loophole. Not a morale one, but one nevertheless.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehcsrop View Post
I didn't say I agreed. I just quoted the law. Looks to me as if there is a loophole. Not a morale one, but one nevertheless.
Well, if by "loophole" you mean except that when a work period of not more than six (6) hours will complete the day’s work the meal period may be waived by mutual consent of the employer and the employee, it still does not apply here. First, there was no mutual consent. And, more importantly, that exception means that the employee is paid for that entire work period.

Perhaps the OP can confirm this, but his message conveys that she was not on the clock for this meeting and not paid for the time. If that is the case, the law was clearly broken.

And some seem to be confused by the employer's furnishing pizza. An employer may certainly do that if they wish, but that has nothing whatsoever to do with the labor law and does not allow them to control an employee off the clock and not being paid for the time.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:59 AM

138 posts, read 510,924 times
When you waive any break period it must be in writing (a form you typically sign) and it is documented by the organization. I have worked in a call center before and thank god it was union so none of this stuff could happen.We did waive meal breaks for less than 6 hrs if we chose but for 8 hrs or more you I do not believe you can waive a full hr. You can instead chose a 1/2 hr.Salaried employees are indeed different but I am not familiar with those rules at all. Have you checked with the labor relations board in California?And it is ridiculous to say since these are tough economic times that you should just take it and be thankful you have a job. Employers like these do not think that .They are just trying to maximize profit at anyones expense no matter what.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California