Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 11:42 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Coast Mom View Post
We've been living in Humboldt county, raising 3 children (ages 10, 7, 5) for the last 5 years. We are very conservative but we love Humboldt. Yes, there are many uber-liberals and hippies. The drug usage is rampant, but the natural beauty is breath-taking. The weather is awesome-always moderate. If you do miss hot/cold weather, you can drive in-land for 45 minutes to get to 100 degree weather in the summer and snow in the winter. Crime rate is not as bad as it seems. There are safer part of town and not so good part. Definitely recommend moving here first and rent a house before committing to buying a house. Also, contacting the local police department and/or checking crimereports.com will give you a better idea of a better neighborhood.

as for employment situation, as a nurse, there's no shortage of employment any where in the country! There are hospitals (St. Joseph, Redwood Memorial and Mad River) and 5 skilled nursing facilities in the area.

If you are planning on raising a family, there are many options for schooling. We homeschool our children and there are MANY homeschoolers in the area with different homeschool groups that get together for classes/fieldtrips/outings. There are also many great charter schools and affordable private schools in the area.

Sounds like you have found the best of all worlds.

NIta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 05:00 PM

4 posts, read 22,872 times
The economy here is less than stellar, but really it is an incredible place if you fit in to it. A lot of us are trying to make the economy something else, and in the next ten years I think there is potential. Realistically I expect our bloated government processes to squash any hope of that. But the economy and small size are it for negatives; the crime and drugs that people complain about are no worse than the rest of the country or most of the world, at least if you don't live in a gated community and never leave it. Same goes for the many other problems. I do complain about the place a lot, but if the potential were realized it would be incredible. Cost of living is low compared to most anywhere else, and if you can find a decent job (good luck) the area will take care of you. If you think you like it, go for it. The worst that can happen is you later move somewhere else with a little less cash, not a big deal. Arcata is a college town, very nice for what it is. The demographics tend to be young and somewhat active, which a huge number of hippies, including the smelly variety. I like Eureka more, it's also the economic and administrative center of Humboldt. Depends what you're looking for, but between the two it's a fifteen minute drive anyway. I say take a longer trip to visit and really consider living here, even look at places and apply for jobs.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:06 PM

10 posts, read 62,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahkate_m View Post
Hey, maybe you should Schmoove over & give her some room! She has a right to her opinion. This is... a forum, correct?

She's just calling it like she sees it & she doesn't seem to be the only one...

Myself, I'd be very tempted to live in Arcata if I had a job, etc. I have a friend whom I'm very fond of there, an elderly writer. I think it would be great.

But then, I'm all ears for what others have to say. A little friendly respect goes a long way.

Kate
Hey Kate, when did I ever say someone didn't have a right to their opinion? How am I limiting what others are saying? I'm simply stating the obvious: Nita throws the Humboldt area under the bus anytime ANYONE posts about it.

Don't lecture me on giving others respect Kate...who made you the moral authority?

Old 11-12-2009, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schm000ve1 View Post
Hey Kate, when did I ever say someone didn't have a right to their opinion? How am I limiting what others are saying? I'm simply stating the obvious: Nita throws the Humboldt area under the bus anytime ANYONE posts about it.

Don't lecture me on giving others respect Kate...who made you the moral authority?
sure I do, read my post dated 11/10 or a few others: my feeling about Humbolt Co are my experiences and I stand behind them. How many times have I said the county is beautiful, and has a lot to offer? Most of the time: you can't hide the fact it is economically depressed and always has been, the weather isn't for everyone, anymore than the weather anyplace is for everyone and yes, there are more drugs than in many areas. Gee, am I the only one with these observations??? if I am, you have nothing to be concerned about cause no one will pay any attention to what I have to say, if I am not the only one, that is good (which I am not) people should hear both sides before making a decision to re-locate..

Kate has a point, giving respect is what we do in our country, or we should do: critiziing the message is one thing, criticizing the person is quite another.

Nita

Old 11-14-2009, 10:50 AM

5,012 posts, read 7,219,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schm000ve1 View Post
If there's one thing Nita will do in a posting about Eureka/Humboldt County, it's emphasize the negative.
Ad nauseam.

Old 11-18-2009, 12:19 PM

36 posts, read 157,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwill1 View Post
We have been looking in this area. It sounds perfect. The ocean i'm looking for doesn't necessarily need to be swimable, more to look at, listen to, collect energy from. I understand the weather isn't what one would expect when thinking "california" but like I said i'm from Illinois. Where temperatures go below zero several months of the year, we have been snowed in, it floods horribly, then is followed by a terrible tornado season that lasts months and gets over 100 degrees many days during our ridiulously humid summers. If 80 is hot there, you won't hear me complaining, and fog and rain is nothing compared to snow. I guess the beauty of northern california is what i'm most attracted to, the problem is finding work and being able to afford the costs of living. We were also considering Maine (totally opposite I know), but not sure where is a good place to look.
The world is a looking glass, and gives back to every man the reflection of his own face. - William Makepeace Thackeray
You believe what you want to believe. - Tom Petty

Old 01-15-2010, 10:35 AM

13 posts, read 70,991 times
Default humboldt/eureka area

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernCalifornia View Post
I would very much recommend Eureka/Arcata over Crescent City.

Nursing jobs pay very well in California as there is a general shortage. There are three big hospitals in the area, Mad River in Arcata, St Josephs in Eureka (largest) and Redwood Memorial in Fortuna (probably has best reputation). In addition there are a number of retirement and care facilities and a plethora of other medical businesses, particularly in Eureka. There is a large older population and one can live very well on a nursing salary. There are also always lower-paying jobs in in-home health, nursing facilities and the like. You can definitely make a living in this field in Humboldt County.

As for housing prices they are only expensive in Arcata in large part because of the University. Eureka is much more reasonable, check Trulia.com for example. This year there is a glut of housing as a result of speculation the past few years in California real estate. Nothing-special 2br houses can be bought for 200k in Eureka, which trust me, is very cheap for anywhere on the coast of California. 300k does you very well in this area.

I'd recommend renting at first. I realize you're from a part of the country where owning your house is "normal" at a much earlier age but in California this is really not the case. It will not be unusual for you to not own a home and I recommend getting to know the area for a few months to a year before deciding where to buy. There are dozens of little pockets of the region that are all accessible, nice and offer different amenities. For example Blue Lake, being inland from the coast, will be warmer. As you get comfortable and learn the lay of the land you will be glad you didn't buy before you got to know the area.

humboldt.craigslist.org is a good resource for rentals and to get an idea of cost. The prices there tend to be slightly higher than what you might find locally as it by nature caters to younger people from out of the area, particularly Humboldt State students. In general it is not difficult to support yourself even on low wages in the area.

As for crime it's not an issue at all.

A start for job listings would be home - Times-Standard Online which isn't much of a newspaper most days but don't judge the region by it, please! You might also check out caljobs.ca.gov which is the state job listing service.

Certain other "employment" opportunities abound although the ins-and-outs of those things won't be clear until you're actually living in the area.

To sum, it sounds to me like you want to be in the area for all the right reasons. I think you'll find the hardest part is getting there because after that it's really not too hard to find some kind of job that pays enough to cover your pretty reasonable rent while you look for something better. Minimum wage in California is $8/hr and two people can find a good place to live in Eureka for $500/month. It a'int San Francisco!
I'd have to disagree that two people can find a "good place" to live in eureka for $500/month. First, depends on what "good place" means. There is almost nothing for $500 these days - maybe a little meth shack down by winco. I have a friend who rents a two bedroom apartment in a really, really bad neighborhood (near the main post office/clark street) and they pay $750 a month. She has constant problems with tweakers/homeless people and won't go out after dark because that's when the "zombies" come out.

There is a lot of crime, especially in Eureka. It used to be just mainly property crime, but the trend is turning more to violent crime (two murders in one weekend in Eureka a couple of weeks ago). Don't get me wrong, Humboldt County is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen, but there is very little opportunity here and lots of crime. I've lived here my whole life (as have my parents), but am seriously considering moving due to the lack of jobs, high cost of living and terrible crime rate. Just like everywhere, there are pros and cons and, to me personally, the cons are starting to outweigh the pros here, which is really unfortunate because it is such a gorgeous place.

PS - If you truly are considering this area, Fortuna is a nice little town with far less crime than Eureka. Housing prices tend to be a little cheaper, too. It would be a 25-30 minute commute to Eureka.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by star182 View Post
I'd have to disagree that two people can find a "good place" to live in eureka for $500/month. First, depends on what "good place" means. There is almost nothing for $500 these days - maybe a little meth shack down by winco. I have a friend who rents a two bedroom apartment in a really, really bad neighborhood (near the main post office/clark street) and they pay $750 a month. She has constant problems with tweakers/homeless people and won't go out after dark because that's when the "zombies" come out.

There is a lot of crime, especially in Eureka. It used to be just mainly property crime, but the trend is turning more to violent crime (two murders in one weekend in Eureka a couple of weeks ago). Don't get me wrong, Humboldt County is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen, but there is very little opportunity here and lots of crime. I've lived here my whole life (as have my parents), but am seriously considering moving due to the lack of jobs, high cost of living and terrible crime rate. Just like everywhere, there are pros and cons and, to me personally, the cons are starting to outweigh the pros here, which is really unfortunate because it is such a gorgeous place.

PS - If you truly are considering this area, Fortuna is a nice little town with far less crime than Eureka. Housing prices tend to be a little cheaper, too. It would be a 25-30 minute commute to Eureka.
To me Fortuna is the best thing going for Humboldt County and I think you are pretty close when you say $500 a month won't get anyone much. Even here in NWA $500 won't get you anything decent in a decent neighborhood. Of course again, what one thinks as being acceptable others wouldn't be caught dead near. It is all perception.

Nita

Old 01-15-2010, 11:40 AM

36 posts, read 157,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
To me Fortuna is the best thing going for Humboldt County and I think you are pretty close when you say $500 a month won't get anyone much. Even here in NWA $500 won't get you anything decent in a decent neighborhood. Of course again, what one thinks as being acceptable others wouldn't be caught dead near. It is all perception.
NWA? What is that?

Old 01-15-2010, 06:15 PM

222 posts, read 862,464 times
Have always liked Fortuna during my visits to Humboldt County. We stopped
for fuel in Rio Dell, which is just south of Fortuna, and thought it was a cool
place. Never have enjoyed driving through Eureka due to congestion and the
stoplights, but it's nowhere near as bad as many other places. Might get old
commuting between Fortuna and Arcata especially during the tourist season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California