Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 03:23 PM

6 posts, read 75,978 times

Advertisements

I have been reading a lot of the different threads about the Fresno area. I have found them to be very helpful. My family will be possibly moving there within the next couple of months. After reading everyone's thoughts about Fresno, Clovis, and Visalia, I am currious as to what are the nicer neighborhoods (streets specifically) in these cities. My husband and I drove around Clovis and North Fresno a couple of weeks ago. There was one specific neighborhood tucked away in the Woodward Park area that we fell in love with. We would like to live in an area like that--tucked away, quiet, mature, etc. (sorry, I don't remeber the streets) We are looking for a family-rich environment (we have two preschool aged children) with a home that still has a true backyard. I would also appreciate any feedback on high academic preschools. My kids currently go to the Montessori in Tracy, and we love it! Are the Montessori preschools in the Fresno area strong schools? What other preschools should I look at? Thanks so much for any suggestions--and all the past postings upon this subject!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 04:16 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,152,786 times
I wish you could remember the streets because I may have lived in the neighborhood! What is your price range? I don't know a lot about Fresno housing prices now, but I moved from there about 2 years ago. If you can figure out the street names, I can try to help. We lived really close to Clovis West and the kids would have gone to Ft Washington Elementary. Great schools. How family-friendly depends on the specific neighborhood, but over all it is a great area.

Old 08-19-2009, 05:01 PM

Does Windsor Circle ring a bell? This street name sounds familar and was near by Parin. I don't know the price range of the homes because we just found it by chance. But, I think that might be the neighborhood that we liked. I know there have got to be more neighborhoods like that around Fresno or even Visalia, I just don't know where to look.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:06 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,152,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwalker17 View Post
Does Windsor Circle ring a bell? This street name sounds familar and was near by Parin. I don't know the price range of the homes because we just found it by chance. But, I think that might be the neighborhood that we liked. I know there have got to be more neighborhoods like that around Fresno or even Visalia, I just don't know where to look.
Windsor Circle is pretty pricey (for me at least). There are other neighborhoods like that in the Woodward park/Woodward Lake/Ft. Washington CC area. First make sure you can afford it, though. In my experience, more pricey neighborhoods have fewer young children. Brentwood, Cambridge and centex neighborhoods seem to have a lot of kids, but the houses aren't nearly as nice. Those builders can all be found in NE Fresno, too.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:37 AM

764 posts, read 2,035,942 times
Windsor Circle is near Champlain and Ft. Washington, which is a great area. There are a number of neighborhoods like that one in the 93720/Woodward Park area. The Woodward Lake development might be something you'd be interested in, or the homes off of Audobon, both east and west of Highway 41. Do you have a price range? That would narrow things down quite a bit.

Clovis tends to be a bit newer, but there are some mature neighborhoods. At the northwest corner of Gettysburg and Temperance there's a neighborhood with streets including Pico, Magnolia, and San Gabriel that has lovely, large homes on big lots.

Northwest Fresno has several neighborhoods that fit what you're looking for, but they can be very pricey. Or Old Fig Garden, but that houses can be quite a bit older.

I have friends using the Montessori preschool at the Newman Center (on Barstow, just west of Cedar) and they love it. There are some private academic preschools like Carden (Carden School of Fresno) and Fairmont (Fairmont) that are highly regarded.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:39 PM

Thank you so much for your suggestions. Right now, I am not so worried about price, but becoming familiar with the areas that we would like to live. I will check out all those areas as well as the schools. Do you know if there are any areas that fit that discription in Visalia as well?

Old 08-22-2009, 02:18 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,071,147 times
Around Visalia check out the Green Acres neighborhood north of the Visalia Coutry Club (similiar feel to Fresno's Fig Garden). Also the area south of Caldwell Avenue near and behind Blain Park has some very nice streets. Then there would be the streets off County Center Drive roughly south of Tulare Avenue to about Cambridge Avenue (some of those are very nice).

I'm sure there are other neighborhoods around Visalia that also fit your description but those come to mind right now.

Old 08-22-2009, 04:25 PM

296 posts, read 802,673 times
I flat out would not live in Fresno - that town is a disgrace.

Most of Visalia is lovely.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:59 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,071,147 times
Both Fresno and Visalia have good and bad areas.

North Fresno neighborhoods like the Dominion, Woodward Lake, the Bluffs, Van Ness Extension, or areas like Old Fig Garden or the Tower District are very different than what people see along highway 99 or in downtown Fresno.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:23 PM

44 posts, read 123,721 times
My daughter lived in a Woodward Park neighborhood. Nice area. But, the house was cheaply built. Beautiful area. Not sure who built it. But, it was good looking on the surface. Lots of home builders use helpers who don't give a crap about how a place is built. Be careful. The school was awesome! Century elementary. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California