U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-26-2009, 06:35 PM

2,072 posts, read 8,377,897 times

Advertisements

If you want to call it Cali or San Fran, go right ahead. I don't have a problem with that. I was born and raised in Chicago and I love calling it ChiTown

Old 08-26-2009, 06:40 PM

199 posts, read 48,970 times
yea nobody calls it cali... right

"we still live in CALI, got a style, cutural"

YouTube - Zion I - The Bay

nobody calls it cali

YouTube - Yukmouth & C-Bo as Thug Lordz - Killa Cali (Feat Spice 1)

nobody calls it cali.

nobody calls it cali

YouTube - The Game - Cali Sunshine - LAX [dirty version]

Old 08-27-2009, 10:14 PM

350 posts, read 734,289 times
Even more reason not to call my state "cali".

Old 08-27-2009, 11:23 PM

2,655 posts, read 7,343,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momojojo View Post
Even more reason not to call my state "cali".
Hehe, I was thinking the same thing. What a bunch of GARBAGE!

Old 08-27-2009, 11:48 PM

301 posts, read 1,013,992 times
Well if someone named "Yukmouth" calls it Cali, shouldn't we all?

Old 08-28-2009, 12:10 AM

228 posts, read 329,527 times
Umm... sorry to break it to you, but we Californians call it "Cali", we always have. I'm stunned that someone would actually believe that it's not called that. Now, if someone says "Frisco" or "Lom-Poke" Or "San Louise Obeespo", then there is an issue. But we all call it Cali. I was born in Cali, right across from the first In n Out burger in Baldwin Park. Cali is fine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calix View Post
A fun bit of advice to some that would visit or even live in this Golden State -
Please do NOT use the term Cali when referring to California. You will instantly be identified as someone who knows nothing about CA and will peg yourself as a desperate East Coast or Midwestern native that only knows CA through the eyes of reality television, MTV, or various faux representations of what CA is and life here is like.

Example, a conversation from someone from Akron OH,

Ohio girl: OMG!! I'm going to Cali this weekend.
Californian: I think you mean, California, we call it California here.
Ohio girl: well that place is da bomb.
Californian: We stopped using that slang quite a while ago.
Ohio girl: ohhh, my bad
Californian: (slight groan)

People from CA know that CA is not monolithic and homogeneous, it is varied and diverse. We refer to specific locations in CA, like SF, the Bay Area, Santa Barbara, Yosemite, Newport Beach, Venice, etc.

Using the term Cali, is like calling Hors d'œuvres , "horse doovers", which will elicit the same sort of snickering and occasional contempt from Californians. Please expunge the term "Cali" from your lexicon. The only time Cali is appropriate is if you are an international adventurer off to Cali Colombia, in which case the lowbrow use of "Cali" would have never entered your mind.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:17 AM

228 posts, read 329,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterDuke View Post
No, Frisco is a perfectly legitimate term. If you are a gold miner from the 1800s. Or a scriptwriter for Walter Brennan movies.

Yes, the term 'Cali' is low class. Do you know how I know? The person who coined the term walked around in public with his pants down around his knees so everyone would see his underwear hanging out.
Okay, that's the funniest thing I've read all day. You think it's "Low class", my gawd, has American really dissolved into a class war over this ridiculousness? I'm pretty sure that it didn't take a rapper to abbreviate the state with the looong name into Cali, all by himself. My friends and family, all lifelong Californians, refer to it as Cali all the time... it's a nickname.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:47 AM

2,655 posts, read 7,343,326 times
Default Lompoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixie09 View Post
Now, if someone says ... "Lom-Poke" ... then there is an issue.
Wait a minute -- Lom-poke is correct! I hear people from outside of the area saying "Laampaak", which I know is wrong.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:50 AM
JS1

1,899 posts, read 4,049,968 times
Cali is in Colombia.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:57 AM

143 posts, read 227,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trixie09 View Post
Umm... sorry to break it to you, but we Californians call it "Cali", we always have. I'm stunned that someone would actually believe that it's not called that.
Clearly you did not read the preceding 160+ posts, which makes it clear that many of us do not refer to it as Cali. And only fairly recently did that nickname come into use at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California