U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2007, 07:16 PM

6 posts, read 17,946 times

Advertisements

Saint George, Utah. These are a few cities that my husband is considering retiring to. We are looking to get a couple of acres of land and build a house on it in 2 years. Right now we live in Riverside and I would like to go somewhere cooler but husband is mainly looking for a smaller town with less traffic. I have one daughter who lives in Tehachapi but the rest of my family lives in Riverside. We will be coming back to Riverside about once a month for horse shows. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2007, 09:18 PM

3,040 posts, read 10,445,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caroljshaw View Post
Saint George, Utah. These are a few cities that my husband is considering retiring to. We are looking to get a couple of acres of land and build a house on it in 2 years. Right now we live in Riverside and I would like to go somewhere cooler but husband is mainly looking for a smaller town with less traffic. I have one daughter who lives in Tehachapi but the rest of my family lives in Riverside. We will be coming back to Riverside about once a month for horse shows. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
Well, with your desire for somewhere cooler, I would suggest that you stay away from St. George. It is a beautiful city, and has a lot to offer, but it gets very hot in the summer. Daytime highs well over 100 degrees (F) are quite common. The weather is comparable to the Palmdale/Lancaster area or the Victorville area.

As for finding acreage on which to build your home, I think Tehachapi is possibly your best bet. It is a nice mountain community with most of the basic necessities. For what you can't find in Tehachapi, both the Palmdale/Lancaster and Bakersfield areas are within about an hour's drive. The weather in Tehachapi is generally pleasant year round, with four seasons. It will generally be cooler than what you currently have in Riverside, so it will meet that criteria. It is still pretty close to Riverside for those horse show weekends.

Arroyo Grande is nice, too, but I can't really say anything about finding acreage to build on. I don't have any experience with that sort of thing in that area. My in-laws live a little south of there, near Santa Maria. The weather there is the mildest of the places you mentioned. In general you can expect the temperature to stay between about 30 and 90 degrees (F). There may be the rare occasion where it exceeds these limits, but it's not that frequently. The drive to Riverside would be at least twice as long as from Tehachapi, but the traffic isn't too bad until you get into the L.A. metro area, as long as you avoid the 101 into L.A. This is because the traffic would start backing up around Santa Barbara, and would stay crowded all the way out to Riverside.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:31 AM

5 posts, read 22,139 times
we're in the same boat! we ruled out st george; too isolated for me. you might also consider prescott, arizona. wonderful small town. i just can't leave the coast, but my husband wanted to move there... so now we are also looking in ag and want some land too. we're currently in orange county.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:40 AM

11 posts, read 32,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocbird View Post
we're in the same boat! we ruled out st george; too isolated for me. you might also consider prescott, arizona. wonderful small town. i just can't leave the coast, but my husband wanted to move there... so now we are also looking in ag and want some land too. we're currently in orange county.
If you want horse land on the central coast, look for land in Nipomo. AG is pretty $$

Old 11-10-2009, 09:47 AM

2,903 posts, read 11,442,945 times
the thread is from 2 years ago.
i hope she's found her new locale by now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California