Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2007, 07:58 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,681,724 times

Advertisements

http://www.pbs.org/now/shows/317/index.html

I feel really bad for these people....but what were they thinking??????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2007, 08:19 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,078,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon94 View Post

Need a reality check? Watch the video.

Old 04-28-2007, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
Need a reality check? Watch the video.
What are you talking about???? I posted the video!! lol

Old 04-28-2007, 08:40 PM

Quote:
What are you talking about???? I posted the video!! lol
Not sure what you mean. Thanks for posting the link; I meant for you to get some cudos for doing it. The vid is definitely a worthwhile view. Solid dose of reality on today's housing market for anyone who dares have a dose.

Old 04-28-2007, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
Not sure what you mean. Thanks for posting the link; I meant for you to get some cudos for doing it. The vid is definitely a worthwhile view. Solid dose of reality on today's housing market for anyone who dares have a dose.
Oh...lol...ok!! Yes a good reality check!! I knew there were people out there like that...I'm afraid there's ALOT!!! Glad I didn't get sucked in!!

Old 04-28-2007, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Oh...lol...ok!! Yes a good reality check!! I knew there were people out there like that...I'm afraid there's ALOT!!! Glad I didn't get sucked in!!
Yes, glad indeed. It's going to hurt for more than a few. I wonder when and how bad the housing temblor will rock the broader economy.

Old 04-29-2007, 06:24 AM

153 posts, read 1,247,384 times
Smile Truth, Not Fiction Re Housing in CA

The video is the real story of the housing zoo in CA.

Sadly, there are way too many home buyers (notice I did not call them home-owners) who are paying interest-only loans.

Even more pathetic is how the housing market in CA is beyond insane. Greed started the ludicrous increase in pricing, and now CA is stuck with the problem. Will it ever become an affordable place to live? No, not unless a person is earning 6 figures and up. Where does that leave the average resident who would love to buy a home? It leaves them working 2+ jobs, paying interest-only loans, having no life at all...and eventually ending up filing backruptcy.

The answer? There are many answers, one being to move to another state that offers affordable housing. However, many residents do not want to give up the mild climate (if living in So Cal), or don't want to move away from family, have difficulty securing employment in another state, or worse of all, don't have the funds to relocate.

The poster asked what the people were thinking....you'd have to ask them that question, but obviously they were desperate to start buying a home and had no other means than to get caught up in the interest-only loan. They truly were not thinking logically or responsibly.

I do miss the ocean and the mountains....but I do not miss the high cost of living, smog, crowded conditions, traffic, crime. For me, I prefer to live in an area that offers clean skies, beautiful rolling hills, no graffiti, affordable living (where one can still purchase homes from $70k and not live in a dump in an unsafe area). I love being able to buy a home and still be able to save money every month, have wonderful vacations every year, take weekend trips, be able to buy clothes...in other words, not being house-poor and living on the edge.

Jobs? Oh yes, we have plenty of jobs in the Kansas City Metro area. Pay rates? Even clerical workers can find employment here starting at $15/hr...not too shabby!

Where will it all end in CA? I don't have the answer.

Oh....weather in this area? Sure it gets cold in winter, and we get some ice/snow...but it is not that bad, roads are kept in good condition and we just dress appropriately.

Last edited by kansaslady; 04-29-2007 at 06:29 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 04-29-2007, 09:12 AM

1,658 posts, read 2,694,721 times
Quote:

They wanted to realize the American Dream of home ownership, and the realtors and brokers and lenders were there to make it happen. Many buyers either didn't understand or didn't care about the risk involved in those creative financing packages.

I could not understand how the family facing perhaps a 1/3 increase in their mortgage payment could borrow against the equity, the very same equity necessary for the refi that would save their home.

I sold my home in California to a family that has now offered it for sale at 8% less than their purchase price. The expert in the video states that the reductions will bottom out at around 15%. What are these young families to do?

Old 04-29-2007, 04:42 PM

Yeah...I'm from San Diego.....we left before it got crazy. My husband and I laughed when they told us what we qualified for...at the time we had bills....there was no way we could afford what they wanted us to sign for...it was hard to leave home.....but it would be harder on us now if we would have stayed. Just because it works out on paper...doesn't mean it works out in life!! After moving to Texas 8 years ago and buying a home we will be young retirees. Trust me...missing out on the weather is worth it...and I got to raise my daughter...not a daycare.

The people I feel sad for are the ones who are not really "edjucated" on finance issues and were taken advantage of. YES they were taken advantage of...I know the lender across the desk can see it in their eyes!! Can you say "CHA_CHING"!!!

Old 04-29-2007, 11:59 PM

193 posts, read 1,403,033 times
We knew to be cautious of the couple lenders who told us a few years back that we qualified for so much more than our credit union would lend us. We asked ourselves why and how these other brokers could get us a loan almost 80k more than what our credit union said we could afford. I am glad we stuck to not biting off more than we could chew.

I see now how these Joe Schmo 's who we guessed were not making near the money we pulled in could "afford" the bigger houses years after they went up in price. The bad thing for us is now they are leaving these homes in forclosure and our neighboorhood is getting trashy looking. Oh well, I am thankful we at least have a home. Good luck to those families though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California