Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 12:35 AM

7 posts, read 30,225 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping one of you will help me locate my dream city. I currently live in the cold and the snow, and I'm sick of it. I have a unique job situation in which I can take it with me, so job availability isn't a concern. Neither are schools as my wife and I have no children. It's always been our dream to live in a warmer climate with no snow in the winters, and within an hours drive of good ocean fishing. We've avoided searching towns right on the beach as they tend to be expensive. We prefer to rent rather than buy a house, but a house indeed is what we desire- no condos or appts. We're looking for a place in California with low crime, and one that has ample amenities or a close drive to them.

Does anybody have any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 06:33 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbianco View Post
I currently live in the cold and the snow
Reno?

What is your housing budget?
What type of house?
What line of work is spouse in?

Old 08-30-2009, 11:18 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
of course as always, Charles is asking the number 1 question which is what I would ask as well? What is your budget and what will your spouse do for a living or is she not planning on working? There are many cities that might work, of course even inland things can be very pricey and decent rental homes are often very hard to find. Apt and condos are a different story.

Of course areas around San Diego come to my mind as well as inland from all So Calif beaches if you love to fish. There are towns in the northern part of the state as well, but it may not be as full of sunshine as Southern Ca cities.

Are you looking for a small town atmosphere or are you into city life?

I think in order to get some good suggestions you probably need to give a little more information.

Nita

Old 08-30-2009, 12:40 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,722,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbianco View Post
I'm hoping one of you will help me locate my dream city. I currently live in the cold and the snow, and I'm sick of it. I have a unique job situation in which I can take it with me, so job availability isn't a concern. Neither are schools as my wife and I have no children. It's always been our dream to live in a warmer climate with no snow in the winters, and within an hours drive of good ocean fishing. We've avoided searching towns right on the beach as they tend to be expensive. We prefer to rent rather than buy a house, but a house indeed is what we desire- no condos or appts. We're looking for a place in California with low crime, and one that has ample amenities or a close drive to them.

Does anybody have any suggestions?
California is a huge and diverse state regarding natural environment and culture.
If you want to be near the coast there are many towns that may suit you very well.
But it would be helpful if you gave a bit more information about the type of culture you're looking for, your social needs, your budget for monthly rent for a house, etc.
Are you drawn to So. California? Northern?
Do you wanna be near a city like L.A. or San Francisco or does it matter to you?
I'd recommend a coastal community (or a community near enough to the ocean) along the northern part of the central coast.
The county of Santa Cruz (at the "top" of Monterey Bay at the most northern part of the central coast) may provide you with what you're looking for.
It is expensive here (it varies depending where you are in the county) but since i don't know what you're rental budget looks like, i can't say if it would be out of your $$$ range or not.
There are lots of options but it would be easier for people to give you some guidance and information if you provided some more details.

Cities and towns of Santa Cruz county:

Incorporated Cities:
Unincorporated Towns:

Where's my dream California city?-ca-central-coast.gif

Last edited by coyoteskye; 08-30-2009 at 01:31 PM..

Old 08-30-2009, 12:43 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,788,855 times
It's probably in a time machine, lost to the past.

Unless you are massively rich, your California Dream Town is likely just that, a dream that disappeared decades ago.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post
It's probably in a time machine, lost to the past.

Unless you are massively rich, your California Dream Town is likely just that, a dream that disappeared decades ago.
He's looking for an affordable and safe community near to the coast but not necessarily right on it.
This is quite possible!

Old 08-30-2009, 12:54 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
He's looking for an affordable and safe community near to the coast but not necessarily right on it.
This is quite possible!
Depends on one's definition of "safe", "affordable", and "near". Without any numbers from the thread starter, we'll all just guessing.

Old 08-30-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Depends on one's definition of "safe", "affordable", and "near". Without any numbers from the thread starter, we'll all just guessing.
true ... so we'll just wait and twiddle our thumbs until the o.p. returns and provides more details.

Old 08-30-2009, 01:39 PM

214 posts, read 1,083,851 times
"It's always been our dream to live in a warmer climate with no snow in the winters, and within an hours drive of good ocean fishing."

Temecula.

Warm, no snow. Affordable, safe, clean. 27 minutes to Oceanside, 50 minutes to PB, La Jolla, 1 hr to Newport Beach, 1hr 15 to Huntington Beach.

Old 08-30-2009, 02:42 PM

7 posts, read 30,225 times
Default Dream California City

Forgive me all- I'm new to this really. I guess some of you needed more information?

Temecula seems like the perfect place! As you point out- it's within 1 hrs drive to the ocean, it's near amenities, it has the climate I'm looking for, and it's affordable. Thank you!

To be more specific, so that I might get more suggestions-
My wife is in the same line of work as me, so she can take her job with her as well.
I'd like to keep rent near 1500 for a 3bd 2bth house.

Thank you all so much for trying to help me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California