U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 03:23 PM

3,177 posts, read 10,144,053 times

Advertisements

MOving is a touchy subject now - I have no idea where I'll be

I moved from Sacramento to Seattle for my husband - I hate it here

He has agreed to move - but he's furious with the circumstances

I'd like to go back to Sacramento, but I do not know if it's best for the kids

My family lives in the Inland Empire - but I never liked it there. Redlands seems okay compared to the whole area

I grew up in LA, in a subburb called Westchester

SO I've looked at Ventura County too but I'm not impressed with the housing they all seem quite dated with no character
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2007, 04:15 PM

192 posts, read 421,070 times
Citygirl,
It seems as though people are divided on Seattle. They either love it or hate it. The reason people give for hating it is the cloud cover for 9 months out of the year. The people that like it state things like the greenery, and the laid back attitude. I think it was at the top of the list for cities who's residence had masters degrees. I was there for one weekend about 8 years ago. I was visiting a friend in Bend, OR and we drove up to Seattle. It was beautiful...but raining.
Good luck on your relocation decision.

Old 05-01-2007, 09:25 AM

10 posts, read 24,575 times
Hello, I just found this thread. The title question really caught my eye, but the content went elsewhere. 'Do we really want to move or is it all in our heads?' is a good question . . . and, philosophically, I think it depends on what you value, where you are in your life, what age you are. I live in Eugene, Oregon . . . a PNW university city, great restaurants, artist community, one of the top environmentally friendly places to live in the states, was a wonderful place to raise my kids. . . quite beautiful and affordable. BUT, half the year I suffer from depression (dark days, a very dampdampdamp world!). After 18 years, it is grating on me and is contributing to a poorer quality of life (I'm 50). I will be moving back to a community I once lived in (SLO), even though it will be a challenge on several fronts. . . but it has meaning for me. I suppose at 50, I am in a different state of mind than in my 30's.

Your question was a good one. From your content, it sounds like you could very easily stay and enjoy your great life . . . until the time comes where it's more difficult to stay than it is to go elsewhere.

Old 05-01-2007, 01:20 PM

193 posts, read 1,070,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewatergirl888 View Post
Thank you for the advise puffle...I will pass this along to my gf. I think the reality is that we will stay here and just travel for a few weeks in the winter. I really do love where I live (sans winter) and I know it would be hard to replicate this life elsewhere. I have a friend in LA who loves it there and one in Oceanside who often thinks about moving elsewhere. Sometimes it's just fun to get other people's opinions and see what else is out there. Good luck on your move.

About your fried who is thinking of moving elsewhere....that sounds like half of the people in California. Most of us who started reading this forum are people who want out! But if you do move here the coast is the way to go.

Old 05-04-2007, 08:26 AM

Default where do you want to go?

Hey Can't wait,
Where do you think you want to go?
I have checked out several other states on this board, and it seems as thought the California forum has the greatest amount of people stating that they want to leave. It may also have the greatest amount of posters saying they want to move there also, so I guess it all balances out. I wonder how many people actually end up staying there and how many find out that it was not the life/ place they thought it was going to be.

Old 05-04-2007, 09:46 AM

3,490 posts, read 327,766 times
Unless you enjoy living in a sauna throughout the summer, I would recommend Cali over Florida anyday.
Just my humble opinion!

Old 05-05-2007, 06:10 AM

Default should we stay or should we go?

Wise Woman,

You are correct, we could stay and very easily enjoy our lives where we are. I think my objective for posting was 2 fold, one was to find out what other people think about living in the 2 states that we would consider moving to, and also to reinforce (to ourselves) that we do have a great life here. I wanted to show my SO what others have to say about moving. When we were in Cali in December, I talked about moving there and my SO said she wanted to stay in MA. Then we got home and I decided to be happy where I was and just deal with winter. Then she started talking about moving!

The PNW is beautiful, but I could not handle cloud cover for half of the year. Even though I hate the winters here, at least there are still some sunny days, even when its 0 degrees outside.

Good luck on your move, and have fun!

Old 05-05-2007, 08:47 AM

272 posts, read 1,218,208 times
The truth is if you are seriously considering moving to a brand new locale, then a extended trip to that area is a must. Take as many weeks as you can, rent an apartment/hotel and just hang around that area as a local. I guess the best time would be to go is during that city/town's worst weather. Cali coast in winter, Florida in summer..etc. Then, this will give you a better idea. I live in South Florida (boca raton) While I like a lot of things about it here, I think I have that itch to relocate. I am in my mid 30's, same sex relationship. My partner and I travel and typically return home with the inclination to move. Florida is one of those states that can be very pretty to the eye. Sometimes I pinch myself about the beauty (gorgeous sunrises, sunsets, flowers all year, palm trees, great restaurants, nightlife, winter is amazing...80 degrees, BBQ all year, trip to the Keys, West Coast FL, Orlando, party in Miami..etc) However, then I wake up some days to the endless sunshine, and summer heat kind of stinks and think ok, what can I do differently today. I don't want to go the beach, I don't have a boat, I have hung out in South Beach too many times, Ft Lauderdale bores me (although it is nice for a visitor) I have taken too many trips over to Naples area (btw it is a very nice town, kind of ritzy, pretty beaches) This is when I start to think hmmm maybe I should relocate. I have pondered Seattle (I am surprised that citygirl does not like it) I thought is was beautiful all around, everywhere we went it just seemed so nice, the city had a nice buzz to it. I also like So Cali (Laguna area, San Diego) I also liked SLO area. Maybe the grass is always greener, or is it?

Signed,
Confused in the sunny state.

Old 05-05-2007, 11:18 AM

Default perfect place

Hi Urban,
Yes I think for some the grass always seems greener on the other side. I think the reality is, that there is no "Perfect Place". Like I stated previously, I love where I live, with the exception of winter. I have been to Oregon and Seattle, I loved it, but I could not stand the cloud cover for so many months, plus the water is too cold to go swimming in. I love California, but the things for me to consider is that it is far from my family, very high cost of living, and very crowded. Florida has beautiful beaches and year round sunshine, but I fear constant summer humidity and hurricanes. Maui, I am just in love with, but I have to be realistic about that one...
Sometimes it's just fun to "window shop" new locations. Sometimes you find the place that you are looking for, and sometimes you realize that you already have it

Old 05-05-2007, 12:40 PM

272 posts, read 1,218,208 times
Default hi bluewater

I agree with what most of you said. I also think Seattle/Oregon is beautiful and the clud-cover does scare me too. Especially coming from the sunshine state. Believe it or not, you do sort of get used to the humidity in Florida's summer. Plus, during winter you are confident that you live in the right place. California also amazes me when I am there. It does have the perfect mix of everyhthing. Of course, at a cost. I must say the last time I was in Mass, it amazed me too! It was in summer but from the Cape, to the clean streets of Boston, the history of the small towns, to the clam chowder really competes strongly with Palm trees, and aqua blue seas of Florida...hmmm....New England.......don't know if I could handle the winter....oh here i go again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California