Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 06:49 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,388,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by exitus acta probat View Post
have you tried speaking castilian spanish to your customers?
lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 07:15 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,491,299 times
I'm White/Mexican as well, my wife is all Mexican...

I would say relations are good in most of California. The only place I have ever witnessed real discrimination towards myself or my family was in South Orange County. Where I live now in Redwood City, and the Bay Area in general, is fully integrated with no problems.

However, if you're looking for the best place to be in a White/Hispanic relationship, I think Florida is by far more accepting. I grew up near Miami ( L.A. born) and there are so many Sanchez-White, Hansen-Rodriguez hyphenated last names there, the classes are more in the middle in Florida.

Last edited by Mach50; 09-03-2009 at 07:53 PM..

Old 09-04-2009, 06:52 AM

268 posts, read 817,160 times
My observations is that overall it's really good. Lots of intermarriages. I was once on a work crew of Hispanic people and the only "white dude". We all got along just fine. They do a lot of teasing and ribbing amongst each other, just about no boundaries, even racist. I've been called just about every racist euphemism that I can think of but it was always in context of the working banter. They called each other "wet back" or "Mayata". But even with this going on they were very giving of themselves. They would share their lunch with you, offer to help if you needed it. I did notice that they really didn't like black people. They didn't want their daughters to marry a black person, white was ok. So overall very good folk, just be prepared of some ribbing.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:05 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Just thought I would throw this in for the heck of it, for what it is worth, the OP is posting the same question all over the boards saying it is for research purposes. I am wondering what kind of research, as this certainly is not a scientific way to get results. At least I don't think it is.

He has posted on the Mexican board wanting to know if Mexican women have the most beautiful legs and feet? huh?

Nita

Old 09-04-2009, 10:40 AM

239 posts, read 723,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Have you tried speaking Castilian Spanish to your customers?
Well, I am not exactly sure what you are implying here.

I speak Castilian Spanish because I happen to be from the region of Castille in Spain and so far I have not had a bad/negative reaction from any other Hispanic in the US.

I used to live in the Mid Atlantic area where the predominant Hispanic groups are from Central America, i.e. El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua but where you can also find people from other countries too like Cuba, Puerto Rico, Argentina, Venezuela, Colombia, Chile etc. I now live in So Ca where all I seem to find are people from Mexico.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:37 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,491,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soymabelen View Post
Well, I am not exactly sure what you are implying here.

I speak Castilian Spanish because I happen to be from the region of Castille in Spain and so far I have not had a bad/negative reaction from any other Hispanic in the US.

I used to live in the Mid Atlantic area where the predominant Hispanic groups are from Central America, i.e. El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua but where you can also find people from other countries too like Cuba, Puerto Rico, Argentina, Venezuela, Colombia, Chile etc. I now live in So Ca where all I seem to find are people from Mexico.
If you want to see some Cubans in SoCal goto Felix Cafe in Orange, there is like 5 of them there ...I also know 2 Puerto Ricans in Long Beach. But besides that we are all Mexican...

Old 09-04-2009, 06:17 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,926,478 times
It's fairly easy to spot the Nicaraguans, El Salvos, Chileans, Cubans etc in So Cal. They're the ones who get pissed at you when you assume they're from Mexico.

Old 09-05-2009, 03:21 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,062 times
There are NO Hispanic / White relations in California...good OR bad. No such groups exist....and if they did, 'relations' would be on a personal level, case-by-case....not "group". It's a stupid thread, with a nonsense question, with no possible answer. Makes all the sense of a bumper-sticker..or a T-shirt slogan.

It's like asking "In Utah, how do the Mormons get along with the deer hunters?.....and do they generally agree on the War in Iraq...or not?".

As my dear departed Mother-in-Law (gone these 15 years), once asked my wife. "what time do white people eat dinner"?....not a very succinct question...but then again, she was old, had only a 7th-grade education, a less than perfect command of the English language......and at LEAST she didn't post it on a computer forum.

Last edited by macmeal; 09-05-2009 at 03:34 PM..

Old 09-06-2009, 12:43 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,328,356 times
Can we generalize this anymore than it is? Are we speaking for all Hispanics? Are we speaking for all white people? In my case things are very well. I am white and my wife is Mexican. I can walk into a group of Mexicans and if they don't know me they may not accept me or open up to me. If this same group finds out that my wife is Mexican, that we have a large family, that I can talk to them they seem to open up and include me. It is like, "your white but you understand us." Seems that way anyway. My wife on the other hand has been asked how much she charges to watch kids as our kids are light skinned and she is not. Perception is everything I guess.

Old 09-06-2009, 02:18 AM

299 posts, read 1,152,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
My wife on the other hand has been asked how much she charges to watch kids as our kids are light skinned and she is not. Perception is everything I guess.
Great Post! I'm white, live in Angeles City Philippines and have experienced exactly the same with my wife being Filipina and our children being fair skinned, in fact they look pure Caucasian. You hit it right on the head with you said "Perception is everything I guess". Sad but true.

When I was living in Camarillo, 1980 - 1983, we never had one problem, maybe because we weren't looking for one or anticipating one. Hmmm!

jOE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California