U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Ideal city to live on a budget
Orange County 0 0%
Los Angeles 2 7.41%
Sacramento 15 55.56%
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties 8 29.63%
San Diego 3 11.11%
San Francisco 0 0%
San Jose 1 3.70%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-10-2009, 03:32 AM

609 posts, read 1,114,912 times

Advertisements

First off, thanks for your responses. I will be pondering a lot about this move (whether it is to CA or one of the states I mentioned). I will of course not move on a whim because someone said something I really liked lol. My buddy I mentioned and I will most likely be visiting Cali this winter for an escape from windy, bitter Kansas weather. We will try to visit some of the big cities. Sacto as someone called it will be on our list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
First off and mainly because you are a business major, everyone lives on a budget. Many can afford to live where ever they choose and may not monitor that budget but still they live on a budget. If you want to move up within any organization you may want to take that into account.

Second point. You stated the the extent of your education would be a little more than a 2 year degree. I am assuming that you will have an Associates in Business? Is that correct? I know people with Bachelors degrees that can not find a job. In business the standard is an MBA, a BS or higher in Accounting, Finance, Marketing, or some other dicipline. Have you considered completing your education first? I would not hire you to work within an administrative cappacity, or to help within any of the other departments with less than a BS or Masters. In todays world the employer has a willing work force that has the education and background to get the jobs.
Yes, my education will be an associates. I have no desire to get a 4 year degree unless offered some sort of reduced cost education from a willing employer. School is not for me; trust me. I'm a 20 year old, 3rd year Freshman. I have no problem working retail or a blue collar job for that matter. I couldn't really imagine myself working a white collar job no matter how much more money and relaxed it may be. I was born to get my hands dirty. I work in retail right now and sure I hate it at times but I wouldn't trade it for anything right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
all things considered if you do not have your heart set on Ca, I would look at both Houston and Dallas, Texas has a much lower cost of living, less unemployment and a better economy.

Nita
Thanks once again Nita. You can find me in the Texas forums frequently now so keep an eye out. Houston is definitely one the cities I'm considering, Dallas haven't given it much thought as it's a little too country for me; however I could be wrong. San Antonio is another one. Feel free to DM me if you have any more advice on these cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Within CA Sacto is the clear choice.

Be sure to bring your skis / snowboard. If you have not learned yet, start this winter.
Y'know I lived in Colorado for a few years and real close to the mountains too but never, ever got the chance to shred some snow lol! Too bad we don't get much snow here or have mountains for that matter otherwise I'd be hitting the slopes every weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilva View Post
I have lived in California my whole life - 41 years. Sacramento would be a good choice since it has young people, especially from Sacramento State and UC Davis. Has great nightlife - you love Old Town Sac. It's not very far from the coast, especially the Bay Area. It is also not too far to go to some of the best skiing - Lake Tahoe for example. Just come and visit the city to see if you like.
I will make sure to visit Old Town Sac and hit up some good bars in December.

Also welcome to City-Date jesilva. Hope to see you post more.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 09:12 PM

2,161 posts, read 3,180,590 times
Cool budget smudget

i had to pick the sb & riverside counties.

inland empire. what a misnomer.

kate

Old 09-18-2009, 06:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,231 times
i live in Indio (the coachella valley area )and its very nice and the rent here is good...i just saw a 2 bedrooms townhouse for 790$ a month here in palm desest in a very nice area you should think about moving to the valley its 2 to 3 hrs away from the los angeles area and we have the coachella music festival every year lost of restaurants and clubs, bars and grocery stores
it does get very HOT in the summers,and i mean HOT!!! but there is lots to do here people are friendly here and having a car is a must!! because cali is so big everything is far from everything if you know what i mean...before i had a car i had to go on the bus everywhere and i really hated it because there are lots of wierdos that smell really bad, oh yes and if you guys are looking to meet girls ,the valley is a good place. lots of cute girls over here and lots of raves and parties if you know where there at.
but if you are going to move to cali make sure you move in somewhere dissent beware of the ghetto areas in cali..thats just asking to get shot or robbed
well good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California