Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 02:37 PM

434 posts, read 1,106,303 times

Advertisements

haha yeah I just searched...Not great areas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 03:05 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,695,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayely1 View Post
How about Lancaster or Palmdale??
I wouldn't classify these as nice areas. I think you are going to end up with more of the same which you are trying to escape - places where you can get a lot of Big Bling house appeal but not much else. There are definately hick type places in CA espcially as you move out into these more desert regions near Mojave. And increased crime can be an issue there as well.

Do a quick search on this forum regarding those two cities and check out the various opinions, some from local residents.

You would be much better off to look into the other areas mentioned with a more modest house in a more desirable area such as Granite Bay or Chico. But here are a few more to look into for lower prices:

Redding (and surrounding towns)
Bishop (and surrounding towns) - high desert and much nicer than Palmdale/Lancaster
Sonora (and surrounding towns) - Sierra foothills
Murrieta (and surrounding towns) - don't know if you checked this yet?
Maybe surrounding towns next to Chico if thats still too pricey

Edit: I orginally thought Reno, NV but the area doesn't look that great although you'll get the Big Bling homes

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 09-10-2009 at 03:55 PM..

Old 09-10-2009, 09:31 PM

thanks for all the help!! Are any of those areas real busy?? They don't want a heavily congested area...But yet with plenty to do around the area.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:14 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't classify these as nice areas. I think you are going to end up with more of the same which you are trying to escape - places where you can get a lot of Big Bling house appeal but not much else. There are definately hick type places in CA espcially as you move out into these more desert regions near Mojave. And increased crime can be an issue there as well.

Do a quick search on this forum regarding those two cities and check out the various opinions, some from local residents.

You would be much better off to look into the other areas mentioned with a more modest house in a more desirable area such as Granite Bay or Chico. But here are a few more to look into for lower prices:

Redding (and surrounding towns)
Bishop (and surrounding towns) - high desert and much nicer than Palmdale/Lancaster
Sonora (and surrounding towns) - Sierra foothills
Murrieta (and surrounding towns) - don't know if you checked this yet?
Maybe surrounding towns next to Chico if thats still too pricey

Edit: I orginally thought Reno, NV but the area doesn't look that great although you'll get the Big Bling homes

Derek
That was a great help! Unfortunately most of those areas are over 325k...Except Murrieta which looks amazing!! Plenty of nice homes in that area...Is it a BUSY area?? Long commutes?? Thanks!!

Old 09-11-2009, 01:59 AM

How about Corona, Riverside??? No one mentioned those areas...Commute/traffic?? Thanks again everyone.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:40 AM

1,714 posts, read 6,054,166 times
For Corona, Murrieta, Riverside ... ask on the San Bernardino/Riverside forum to see what the current economic conditions are. If your parents are retired, they might like it very much (since they would not have to consider finding work and possibly facing a huge long commute). It's really pretty, hilly country, with the California golden hills all around, with some lakes and such. And you can get a big newer house for cheap.

Are you attending college? I'm not quite sure what your plans for yourself are. There are colleges in that area - I think there is a University of California in Riverside. Where there are colleges, there will be something for 20-year-olds to do.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayely1 View Post
That was a great help! Unfortunately most of those areas are over 325k...Except Murrieta which looks amazing!! Plenty of nice homes in that area...Is it a BUSY area?? Long commutes?? Thanks!!
Murrieta and the surrounding towns look like a good deal right now. We have friends with children who are moving there to buy a home. The reason they selected it is because homes are more affordable (they have dropped a lot after recent decline) and the schools are pretty good. Also crime isn't too bad.

IMO Corona and Riverside are along the 91 corridor and are not as appealing in terms of a nice area, but definately a step up from Lancaster/Palmdale. Each town is a little different out there. I would research each one in their respective sub forums.

One major problem you will deal with in Corona/Riverside and San Bernardino is Smog, which is some of the worst in the nation. All the LA smog rolls into that area and settles there. I think Murrieta is somewhat better in that regard as it is removed from the base of the Mtns and LA where things settle.

Also Riverside and San Bernardino counties were high on the list for Meth capitals of the nation. I know Reno and a few others have them beat now. But this is still something to consider.

Here is something to check with regards to good family areas - The School Performance Map (Double click to zoom in). At first glance you may think this is not as important since you are out of school and you parents retired. But 99.9% of the time the areas with higher school performance are better neighborhoods for everyone. Think lower crime, more stable home values, more involved parents, etc... The demand is greater in these areas so it also makes for a better investment in the long run.

I did my undergraduate work in the Inland Empire so I am familiar with it. There are a lot of colleges and universities out there which may be important to you if you plan on furthering your education. And of course there are a lot of young ppl which go along with it. So that is a plus.

I am not quite sure what you mean by commutes if your parents are retired? Commuting too what? The beach, shopping, college, jobs, etc..?

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 09-11-2009 at 10:08 AM..

Old 09-11-2009, 10:27 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,496,447 times
jayely1

Just move the parents to Florida: No state tax, live 10 miles from the beach in a 3000sq ft house for 325k in a gated community with a golf course, still plenty of things for young people to do nearby, especially in South Florida. Also plenty of retirees for them to hang out with.

The options for a nice, clean lifestyle within their price range, are endless in Florida. There is a reason so many "middle class" retires go to Florida over California.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
jayely1

Just move the parents to Florida: No state tax, live 10 miles from the beach in a 3000sq ft house for 325k in a gated community with a golf course, still plenty of things for young people to do nearby, especially in South Florida. Also plenty of retirees for them to hang out with.

The options for a nice, clean lifestyle within their price range, are endless in Florida. There is a reason so many "middle class" retires go to Florida over California.
Mach50,

Just curious which part of South Florida you are talking about?

We also have family in Florida. They are retired military living in Ft. Walton Beach and seem to enjoy it there.

Derek

Old 09-11-2009, 10:51 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,496,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Mach50,

Just curious which part of South Florida you are talking about?

We also have family in Florida. They are retired military living in Ft. Walton Beach and seem to enjoy it there.

Derek
I am not too familiar with the Panhandle, but on the Atlantic side, the OP could find something in their price range anywhere from Vero Beach to Hollywood.

Living close to West Palm, Ft Lauderdale and Miami will yield endless options for young people as well.

1296 Welcome Drive, Vero Beach FL - Trulia

5804 Birch Drive, Fort Pierce FL - Trulia (http://www.trulia.com/property/39655453-5804-Birch-Dr-Fort-Pierce-FL-34982 - broken link)

9208 Chianti Court, Boynton Beach FL - Trulia

Last edited by Mach50; 09-11-2009 at 10:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California