U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 06:10 PM

1,392 posts, read 1,858,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I don't work for any oil company. The only investment I have is a small amount in an S&P 500 index fund. It probably has some oil stock but I've never checked.

Why don't you ride a bicycle to work? Or get a 41 MPG Corolla. Or move closer to work? Or take the bus? There's lots of ways to spend less on fuel. I guess its just easier to complain about the price of gas and blame the company that supplies it.

I'm retired so I don't drive to work....We don't have buses where I live...I haven't bought gas in three weeks...And I'm not complaining for me at all about the price of gas, I can afford it.....I just feel for those that it hurts the most....the low income that work everyday...And take your money and buy rental properties , you will make more in the long run....And I still blame the oil companies by their present and past history....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2007, 12:17 AM

1,749 posts, read 5,907,950 times
You know...in my move back here from Hawaii, I'm so used to paying for expensive gas that it's no change. The rest of my cost of living has gone down so much moving to L.A. that gas doesn't bug me. I am car shopping...my next car will be a Prius or a Mercedes diesel.

Old 05-06-2007, 12:59 AM

14,701 posts, read 7,123,947 times
It's times like these (high gas prices) that I'm glad I work close by (7 miles one way) and that I drive a 4-cylinder subcompact car.

By the way, I've always wondered why gas prices are about .10 higher per gallon in San Diego than here in L.A. County/O.C? Whenever I take a trip down there, I always make it a point to fill up here first.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,730 times
Default Take the Metro

Take the Metro, but make sure you plan ahead of time. It may take 2 hour for a 1/2 hour drive, but if you compare to the AAA's proximation of how much it'll cost, I guess it's better than spending hundreds of dollars at the gas station. LA has improved in the way public transportation work, but still need to increase timetables in areas that has been ignored in the past years. I live around the LA basin and I think my area doesn't have that many buses or train runs unlike areas that has the train and buses which are most of the time poorer and underserved neighborhoods. What's up with that! If California wants to be energy efficient it should be the forefront to start making the public transportation more accessible in all areas not just in certain areas.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:56 PM

6,847 posts, read 16,800,609 times
I coped with it by moving within a block of a major road that has bus service from 5:30 am to 2 am, and gets me to work on said bus in 25 minutes. I've thanked myself for that decision every day since.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:59 PM

8,096 posts, read 10,021,262 times
Wife and I work from home and own a Honda that I fill up at Costco .

Old 04-30-2008, 12:25 AM

14,056 posts, read 25,933,917 times
I live 7 minutes from the job...

Old 04-30-2008, 07:20 AM

1,868 posts, read 3,929,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
What're ya gonna do? Ride a bike? What's the difference really... 20 bucks a month?
More like an extra 20 (or more) every time you fill up!! Not everyone drives a mini cooper. (I guess it depends though what price your comparing it to...last month or last year)

Old 04-30-2008, 02:06 PM

26,362 posts, read 55,282,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblahLA View Post
Take the Metro, but make sure you plan ahead of time. It may take 2 hour for a 1/2 hour drive, but if you compare to the AAA's proximation of how much it'll cost, I guess it's better than spending hundreds of dollars at the gas station.
I guess it depends on what your time is worth. There's 24 hours in a day. Take away 8 or so bed, 8 for work, 1 or 2 for eating and bathing, 2 for posting on City Data, and what are you left with?

To spend an extra three hours a day on a bus means losing about half of you remaining disposable time. To drive 1/2 hour at say 30 mph is 15 miles. At 15 mpg that's one gallon, or about $4 (or $8 RT). Is it worth it?

Old 05-01-2008, 09:27 PM

3,844 posts, read 8,257,852 times
My car gets 35MPG and don't drive much. Gas prices have little effects on where I drive or how much I drive. I'll probably pay 5-10$ more for gas than I did 3 months ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California