Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 12:49 PM

34 posts, read 164,854 times

Advertisements

Hello! I currently live in southern California with my husband & our three children, ages 12, 10 & 8. My husband is a licensed general contractor & I am a stay-at-home mom. Where we live has always been convenient for us for many reasons, some being that we have a lot of family around the area & the cost of living is low. With that being said, we have found that the people who live among us are less interested in raising their children right than they are in "having a good time" - for lack of better words, I suppose. I am very dedicated mother who has raised our children with great morals & will continue to do so. As of right now, my children are not allowed to leave our yard or socialize with almost any child in the neighborhood. Is this punishment on their behalf? By far, it is just the opposite. These children are everything I do not want my babies to become! I understand that it is not the fault of the kids, in contrast ... it is the fault of the people who raise them (I'd say parents, but come to find out ...most of them are being raised by relatives while they parents are incarcerated)! I'm not trying to sound judgemental or nasty here, please do not get the wrong impression ... I am merely a concerned mother who sees that the place that was once found fine is no longer that.

Because my husband's license is for the state of California, our original plan of leaving the state is becoming less of an option. We enjoyed our visit to Washington & I hear that Northern California is a lot like Washington. To replace the brown, dead surroundings that we currently call home home with beautiful green trees & grass would be magnificent! To bring my children up in a town with children brought up with a similar upbringing would be like a dream come true! We pay highly for water that is literally UNDRINKABLE! It will turn brown & begin to smell within a couple of hours of sitting out! How disgusting is that? It goes without saying, that we buy a lot of bottled water. I could pretty much go on & on about all the things I do not like about it where we live, but I'll spare you. I would appreciate it greatly it if someone could recommend a few cities that have good schools, low crime & decent housing prices (since I'd have to assume that with the market being as it is & the area that we chose when we wed & were young is, in my opinion, undesireable - we won't be getting much for our home).
Thank you for reading my post & again, please excuse my ranting & raving - I just can't take too much more of this. Thank you all again, in advance!
Have a beautiful day!!
*Vykki*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 01:16 PM

36,657 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vykki04 View Post
As of right now, my children are not allowed to leave our yard or socialize with almost any child in the neighborhood. Is this punishment on their behalf? By far, it is just the opposite. These children are everything I do not want my babies to become!
Well, all you can do is teach them what's right and hope that they will make the right choices.

But I totally understand where your coming from-my mom and dad were much the same way when we were your kids age.

I would recommend looking at Sonoma County. Lots of nice areas and your husband can focus his work in Sonoma, Marin and maybe even SF.

Oh well, good luck. Im sure others will offer up great suggestions.

Old 09-18-2009, 01:22 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,182,861 times
"Cali" (snicker, snicker)

Old 09-18-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Well, all you can do is teach them what's right and hope that they will make the right choices.

But I totally understand where your coming from-my mom and dad were much the same way when we were your kids age.

I would recommend looking at Sonoma County. Lots of nice areas and your husband can focus his work in Sonoma, Marin and maybe even SF.

Oh well, good luck. Im sure others will offer up great suggestions.

Thank you for your kindness! Have a great day!!

Old 09-18-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
"Cali" (snicker, snicker)

Just out of curiosity - what's wrong with saying "Cali"??

Old 09-18-2009, 04:22 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,182,861 times
Quote:
Nothing really, bit I still snicker...
http://www.city-data.com/forum/calif...call-cali.html

Old 09-18-2009, 04:33 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,289,684 times
Quote:
Don't you know? "Cali" is looked down upon by the snobs of California.

Old 09-18-2009, 05:32 PM

409 posts, read 1,830,321 times
Cali is more a So-Cal thing.

Old 09-18-2009, 05:57 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,724,950 times
I'm in Santa Cruz county which may suit you ... particularly Scotts Valley as i just read recently on another post that the school system there has a high rating ... or at least relatively high and i've read on these posts over time that other school systems in the county are not so great.
You may like Soquel ... also in S.C. county and i think i've heard the school system is better than some others in the county as well.
Soquel is definitely a family friendly town though.
I don't have kids so i don't know though.
This county is expensive but wonderful and worth it if you can afford it.
It's liberal up here and tolerant and friendly.
I guess Scotts Valley is a bit more conservative relative to the rest of the county.
Good luck.
Santa Cruz County - California

Last edited by coyoteskye; 09-18-2009 at 07:14 PM..

Old 09-18-2009, 06:44 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,012,366 times
It all comes down to budget and living expectations. Are you looking to buy a house or rent? What kind of budget for either? There are lots of nice places in NorCal, the only consideration is how much it will cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California