Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 01:24 PM

961 posts, read 2,559,999 times

Advertisements

I would love to hear personal stories from people who have tried to move away from California more than once and have come back each time.

We seem to be attached to a boomerang between California and the Midwest where we grew up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 01:30 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,556,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynetarzana View Post
I would love to hear personal stories from people who have tried to move away from California more than once and have come back each time.

We seem to be attached to a boomerang between California and the Midwest where we grew up.
I can see that happening once, maybe twice, but several times? I doubt there are too many people who have done that.

One of our best photographers here in City Data Mtnsurfer would be one person who left CA for CO and returned to CA.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:46 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,047,065 times
I left and came back. Moved at the wrong time. I'm not bound to any place and would move and will probably move again. It costs a lot to live here and more when you have kids.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:54 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,356,591 times
Quote:

We didn't move from the state and then back, but 3 times from the southern part (l.A. area) to the northern part and back. When we left Ca we decided we would probably never go back. Several us left at once to go to D.C. Some returned and left again, some remained in Ca and others, like us, simply didn't have any desire to go back. Our younger daughter spend about 5 years running back and forth. Finally she left for good about 20 years ago.

Nita

Old 09-30-2009, 03:31 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,256,192 times
I've moved away from my county 3 times. Once to WA state and a couple of times to the Bay Area. I keep coming back and the only place I can see myself moving is possibly to the East Cape of Baja in retirement mode.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:10 PM

28 posts, read 69,408 times
I moved from Los Angeles (after living there 10 years, 3 in San Diego) to Orlando in '04...lasted only one year before returning to L.A. Moved again in '07, this time to the DC area...am about to move back in the next 6 to 8 months. I can't seem to stay away from CA - after you've lived with the dramatic beauty and enjoyed the lifestyle, you are kind of spoiled. Everything else seems anticlimactic. As someone recently told me, I lived there for too long.

Old 09-30-2009, 05:08 PM

I can completely relate to that Neptuneaus. I say the same thing all of the time. I wish the gorgeous natural beauty and great year round weather could make up for California's shortcomings, especially with regards to raising kids here.

Old 09-30-2009, 05:46 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,374,306 times
Thanks to both my father's military career of over 20 years and my own of 12 I moved in and out of CA many times but always came back. The last return was 31 years ago and there I stayed, moving from SoCal to NorCal in stages where I spent the last 19 years.

Several weeks ago my wife and I moved to Missouri and this is where we'll stay in retirement for affordability, the midwestern/southern culture, four seasons, peace and quiet, low crime, slower pace, etc. We have children and grandchildren in CA but this is now our home. We'll visit CA from tinme-to-time but this is where we'll remain. There's no going back!

Old 09-30-2009, 05:49 PM

I know that one day our location will depend on where our children decide to settle. I never want to live far away from my kids.

Last edited by jaynetarzana; 09-30-2009 at 06:18 PM..

Old 09-30-2009, 06:43 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,556,413 times
Quote:
I know that one day our location will depend on where our children decide to settle. I never want to live far away from my kids.

I've always assumed I'd would feel the same way.

What's interesting is the image a lot of people have of "retiring in Florida" or Arizona or wherever, and playing golf or going fishing - at the expense of their family, kids, and grand kids. I couldn't imagine just packing up and leaving my kids (the oldest of which is only 10) and grand kids. Especially assuming by my retirement years, I would either own my home free and clear or owe very little on it and be taking advantage of Prop 13 if in California.

I'd bet people packing up and moving at retirement is probably the exception rather than the rule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California