Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 06:50 AM

10 posts, read 64,678 times

Advertisements

Does anybody know what's in Oceanside? What kind of the living in Oceanside?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2006, 08:18 PM

35 posts, read 167,931 times
I don't know what you mean by what kind of living. House prices are very high. All of southern CA is like that. The older parts of Oceanside are not as nice as some of the newer houseing developments . I myself think if you are looking at the area and want to live here Carlsbad is nicer. I myself have lived here all of my 29 years and can't wait to leave.

Old 07-18-2006, 09:40 PM

10 posts, read 64,678 times
Hi KimS, Is it countryside like, or city like. What will the local people do: stay at home all the time, or outing, shopping a lot, go to the beach a lot. What do the most people wear- causual or a little dressy. My husband may have a chance to work at the marine base for 6 months. We will just rent an apartment first and check out the Oceanside, along other cities, including San Diego, LA. I am looking for a place to raise my 2 very young children. I like to have a pretty good house with 2nd floor. Good school system is very important too. Now I am living in Dallas, TX. Life is quite and peace, but there are not many things for the children to do, or to see. We go shopping a lot, go to the Zoo, and the park, if the temperature is below 100.

So you have lived in there for all you 29 years, Oceanside or Carlsbad. How do you feel about people's attitude in general.

Old 07-18-2006, 10:03 PM

Carlsbad is where I live and I would say that raising your kids in this area can be pricey. I would say a like Carlsbad more than Oceanside. I have a 4 and 8 year old. The schools for younger children are good. For the most part people kind a dess in a little of everything.Lots of jeans and tank tops with flip flops in the summer. Then you have the times when you need to dress up a little also. My kids love to walk on the beach and go to the local parks. We do have a zoo, wild animal park, and sea world but these things can be expensive. I am talking to you at a time when I have had to much of the traffic and all the hustle and bustle so I might not have as many good things to say as I used to. My husband and I both make a decent living but we can no longer afford to buy a house here. I am going to have to say good bye to my home town in order to have a house with a yard. So I don't know what your housing situation is but it may be hard to find somthing affordable. If you have any other questions let me know. Kim

Old 07-21-2006, 05:13 AM

3 posts, read 38,887 times
Smile Please advise

Hello. I am planning on bringing my parents and my husband to California this September. We will be staying in Oceanside for a week and I would like to know what places of interest we should visit? what shopping area is best? Where else should be travel if our other week will be spent in Palm Springs? As we are coming from Europe, what would you suggest- should we use taxi or try renting a car (what is best for 4 adults not having experience in driving in States) you may reply on e-mail if it is easier I will be very grateful for any information you can give... Maybe you knwo where it is possible to download some tourist guides for Oceanside and Palm Springs?

Old 07-21-2006, 10:08 PM

I would say if you will be here for a week you should rent a car. You may even be able to rent one in oceanside and keep it the entire time you are here even in Palm Springs. I would try enterprise or budget car rentals. They will usually charge about $250 to $300 a week. As for Oceanside you should go visit the pier and the beaches. There is a nice outlet mall in Carlsbad as well as many more beaches. It is also nice to just take a drive down highway 101to see the neat little beach shops. If you don't mind traveling south a little we have Sea World, The San Diego Zoo, Balboa Park, baseball at Peco park. Most of the car rental places have local maps. If you have any other questions let me know. Kim

Old 07-22-2006, 11:58 PM

151 posts, read 700,148 times
I live in Oceanside and let me tell you there is nothing special about this city expect the beach but nearly every San Diego county beach is better and nicer. There is not a single mall or attration here the nearest place with a mall is in Carlsbad. There is just nothing to do here, you have to drive 35 miles to do anything. I hate this place but at the same time IM 19 years old and you are probably older than me. I grew up here also.

Old 07-24-2006, 01:43 AM

Smile some questions

KimS. Thanks for a reply. Well, afterall I understand that shopping is in Carlsbad and San Diego. Could you please five an addres of where I can check the address and the names of the biggest shopping places in those cities??? i am definitely interested in visiting the zoo and the sea world and balboa park I will search for driving directions there.
Thank you kindly for your reply it will definitely help us. Could you maybe give me some links to the best rent a car places so i could start looking through for what is best for us? By the way I wanted to ask if we are foreign visitors, we will be getting an insurance for travellers, what else will we be asked besides a valid drivers license in order to rent a car???
Thanks
mario 826
Well I am 26 and I still like to party and have fun, hopefully we will find interesting things to do there

Old 07-24-2006, 06:17 PM

I know that there is a car rental place in the Sn Diego airport called avis and there web address is avis.com. Also try enterprise.com. They will usually need a major credit card also. If you go to westfield.com it will give you some info on our local malls. The Carlsbad company stores will be south on the 5 freeway from Oceanside and then you will get off the freeway at the Palomar Airport exit and make a left. You will then make a left on Paseo del Norte and the mall will be on the right side of the street. Let me know if I can help anymore.

Old 07-24-2006, 11:35 PM

Default abour renting a car

KimS. Thank you for a reply and help. I guess at this point we have to think about renting a car, but after I have calculated all the expenses it ends up to 50 % of the total amount is all kinds of insurance, do you have any idea which we should be using and which not, because out of a 1000 bucks we would have to pay 50 % for taxes and insurance, does this make sense?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California