Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 11:37 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
Lostleaf, what crime data are you reading? What sources can you reference. Do you live in a gang invested neighborhood or work there?

Illegals are a mix of many backgrounds, in the bay I'll bet there are more Asian illegals than Mexican. Illegals are not just Mexican they are Asian, African, even European. The states primary problem is spending and we don't spend half of our budget funding illegals of course it would be less of a headache if we didn't have to worry about them. If you are so worried about illegals, tell your friends and family to stop hiring them, stop them from serving you all in restaurants, they should stop cleaning your houses, picking your fruits and veggies, stop buying drugs from them, and while you are at it stop renting to them and selling to them.
Since you're one of the more balanced members on this forum, I'll provide this link for you:

LA Times Column Lays Out Cost of Illegal Immigration | Red County

These excerpts sum it up well:

.....That said, let's be honest: Illegal immigration does cost California taxpayers a substantial wad, undeniably into the billions.

Of course, illegal immigrants do pay state taxes. But no way do they pay enough to replenish what they're drawing in services. Their main revenue contribution would be the sales tax, but they can't afford to be big consumers, and food and prescription drugs are exempt.

......California should be honest about the costs. Illegal immigrants are not the sole cause of the state's deficit. But they are a drain.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:46 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Lostleaf, what crime data are you reading? What sources can you reference. Do you live in a gang invested neighborhood or work there?

Illegals are a mix of many backgrounds, in the bay I'll bet there are more Asian illegals than Mexican. Illegals are not just Mexican they are Asian, African, even European. The states primary problem is spending and we don't spend half of our budget funding illegals of course it would be less of a headache if we didn't have to worry about them. If you are so worried about illegals, tell your friends and family to stop hiring them, stop them from serving you all in restaurants, they should stop cleaning your houses, picking your fruits and veggies, stop buying drugs from them, and while you are at it stop renting to them and selling to them.
Oh, and by the way, the op ed piece I linked previously also cited a study that noted this:

About 90% of California's illegal immigrants were from Latin America; 65% from Mexico.

So yeah, technically you're probably right....illegal immigrants come from a number of different countries. But when you look at the big picture, the overwhelming majority come from Latin America. There's no denying it.

Old 10-10-2009, 12:06 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Oh, and by the way, the op ed piece I linked previously also cited a study that noted this:

About 90% of California's illegal immigrants were from Latin America; 65% from Mexico.

So yeah, technically you're probably right....illegal immigrants come from a number of different countries. But when you look at the big picture, the overwhelming majority come from Latin America. There's no denying it.
Not to mention that they're the majority of the highly visible illegals.

Old 10-10-2009, 12:30 AM

438 posts, read 1,531,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy View Post
Not to mention the worst gang members are from El Salvador, not even Mexican, but All Latinos are the same so who cares.

Oh yeah...Mexicans and El Salvadorians or so much different right. Let's see, the speak the same language, they have the same culture, the eat the same foods, they practice the same religion and they consist of the same ethnic back ground. Not to mention El Salvador is about as far away from Mexico as LA is from Phoenix. Yeah there like apples and oranges right??

Old 10-10-2009, 12:53 AM

65 posts, read 129,809 times
Please clean up your gangs because the perception of crime levels arising from poverty adversely impacts on overseas tourism.

I read recently tourism brings $100b into the US annually (and your Feds want to raise an arrival tax to fund ads to tell the world to visit the US. Who elected Homer Simpson??), and LA was #2 in the places tourists will stay when landing in the US. Do the maths, and shut down the gangs, confiscate their assets and declare them illegal organisations.

Old 10-10-2009, 01:00 AM

Quote:

I am no stranger to the Bay Area, I lived there for several years and for you to say that the majority of illegals are likely Asian is laughable. The only place this may be the case is in SF and even that is a stretch. Did you see the stats in the article???? 90% of illegals in California are from Latin American countries. Oh and by the way for your information Me and my friends don't hire illegals, I clean my own house, I don't buy drugs from them, I don't rent anything to them and I don't sell anything to them.

I'm so sick of the big BS lie that we need all these people for low end jobs, that's a big fat lie. Who the hell think did the jobs before them. There are plenty of high school and college kids not to mention others that are currently out of work that can fill most low end jobs. The only job that some American's may not do is pick the fruit and come to think of it we have millions of inmates sitting in prison that could do that. And what about all the high paying construction jobs that the illegals have. Have you visited a construction site recently they have hijacked the entire industry. Some of these illegals are getting paid $20 + per hour to do jobs. I see some of these guys leaving the construction in brand new trucks they bought from the dealership. Paid under the table and then they collect welfare and food stamps on top of that.

Oh yeah and one other thing I would like to mention. Nest time you get hit buy a car that ran a red light guess who's gonna pay for the damage to your car and possible medical bills? Wanna take a guess who's gonna pay? YOU IDIOT!!!!! Even if it's their fault your gonna pay because they don't have insurance. This happened to me so I know, there is no way they will offer to pay and there is no way to collect from them. So please take that into consideration before you let you heart bleed your to death.

Old 10-10-2009, 06:28 AM

3,735 posts, read 8,067,624 times
mysticaltyger, thanks for that article. But I still disagree that they are the cause or primary reason of our states downfall.

Illegal immigrants make up 8% of our population in CA
not 50%. California QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau We caused this problem to happen and add fuel to the fire daily. All around we make money off of the illegal situation. We have attorneys that work for them, we have a whole governmental department to work with them, we hire them, they marry to get their papers, we give them drivers licenses, we give them social security cards, we allow people to fly in here and stay beyond their legal time frame and do nothing to reinforce them to leave, drugs are shipped in here, and we don't really have a strong boarder control presence, also we keep them in our jails (why not deport them). We add to this dysfunction. We could stop it but we don't. To me if they want to stay I'd give them work visas and when they work and I'd have them pay a fee to be a citizen. Those that don't get deported.

No one knows how much illegals cost us, the article didn't site where some of the information is coming from. But I don't doubt that they don't cost us anything but I think we make more money off the situation then what it costs and is the reason why we haven't stopped all this.

Lost Leaf, there are less illegal Hispanics and gang related activity in the bay area than there is in Southern CA. No matter how long you have lived here in the Bay area it is a fact. Illegal Koreans and Indians I believe out number illegal Hispanics in the bay. In Southern CA it is the opposite, probably because the border is in Southern CA.

Here is a table of the illegal group breakdown:
Illegal Aliens - Where Do Illegal Aliens Come From?

You are basing a lot of your unfounded data on what you think. Illegal immigrants can not get welfare. They might benefit from welfare if they have children that are legal citizens and welfare is not forever.
Immigration Chronicles: Illegal immigrants on welfare: fact or fiction?
The Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR): Immigration and Welfare
WikiAnswers - Can an illegal immigrant recieve welfare and not be deported

3% of illegal immigrants work in agriculture Study Details Lives of Illegal Immigrants in U.S. : NPR. But we as a society continue to hire them and we continue the drug trade. We can stop it but we don't because of $$$$/greed.

Who were doing the jobs before the Hispanics you ask, blacks and other foreign Europeans, and before them slaves. High school students in this country do work but they also won't do certain jobs, when is the last time you saw a High School student from CA apply for a housekeeping job in a hotel? They rather stay in them and not clean them. Factory jobs and technical jobs that were once done here in the US are now abroad. A lot of US factory jobs have gone to Mexico. That means we let go hard working Americans. It is because it costs too much here to do business and if companies can't hire the illegals then they take business to their country. The illegals here are starting to cost more here than the cost to do business in their country. Listen since illegals make up 3% of our population in CA how in the world can they be taking away so many jobs and money away from US citizens when they are out numbered? It just doesn't make sense.

You might not hire illegals so you say but every person in this states benefits one way or another from illegal immigrants.

Also, Spanish speaking people don't all talk the same have you heard of different dialects? They don't all eat the same food, don't all have the same culture, and don't all practice the same faith.

Gang related crime is not only hispanic, but asian, white, and black, etc. Crime in our state has steadily been decreasing. In this article it says the following:
• People born outside the United States make up about 35 percent of California’s adult population but represent only about 17 percent of the state prison population.
• U.S.-born adult men are incarcerated in state prisons at rates up to 3.3 times higher than foreign-born men
Immigrants, Including “Illegal Aliens” in California, Have Much Lower Crime Rate than the Rest of Us - California Progress Report (http://www.californiaprogressreport.com/2008/02/immigrants_incl.html - broken link)
The most people that commite crimes and that are in jail today are Americans
Prison Population
Center for Immigration Studies
Homicides in Los Angeles County, Gang Related Crime
Gang-Related Crime in Los Angeles County

There are plenty of people that are involved in car accident where they deal with uninsured motorist. That is why it is illegal in our state not to have insurance. But accidents still happen. So whether they are legal or not you can be hit by a college student and they not have insurance and you can't get anything from them. But your insurance will pay you something. I've actually had an illegal person hit me, he was middle eastern (he had a legal drivers license from our state though) and I've had a younger person hit me and both had no insurance. Anyways, how do you know the person that hit you was illegal? Did you check their documentation or just make an assumption because they were from a Spanish speaking country?

Old 10-10-2009, 12:58 PM

Bay area girl, your all over the map, first you say that illegals make up 8% of CA's pop then you say they only make up 3%, either way the info is not factual because there is no way to confirm an actual accurate estimate on illegals. Do you think illegals will be honest when asked by a census worker if they are here illegally? Of course not, besides you have to factor in all anchor babies, that are technically not illegal because of are birth right citizenship law. You have to factor in the cost that hits are public schools with all these children.

Then you say because there are more illegal Hispanics in So Cal then the bay area that means somehow there aren't a lot of illegal Hispanics up here?? Then go on to speculate that you think that there are more illegal Koreans and Indians than Hispanics in the bay area even though the link you provide shows that those two groups comprise of a whopping total of 1.8% of illegals.

Then you wrote this-
• U.S.-born adult men are incarcerated in state prisons at rates up to 3.3 times higher than foreign-born men-

Ok that is the most rediculos stat I have ever seen! According to the Census link you provided in the year 2000 foreign born people make up 11 percent of the us population, half being men, which totals about 5.5% of are population is foreign born men. IF 89% of the U.S. pop is born here that would mean apporx 44% are U.S. born men. SO you’re comparing American born men 44% to foreign born men 5.5% OF the population living in America. SO OF COURSE THERE IS GOING TO BE MORE AMERICAN MEN THAN FOREINGERS IN PRISON!!!!!!!!!! Besides were talking about California not the US and if you want to look into those stats there not gonna go in your favor, trust me.

Then you start to talk about the car accidents and say that it's no different if an uninsured college student hits you. Let me explain this to you, there is a big difference between getting hit by an illegal and a US citizen. You see the illegals have learned a thing or two about how to work the system. When an uninsured college student hits me, they carry Identification, when the CHP comes they get there ID and write down their name and address on the police report. The officer can write a ticket for driving with out an accident and the driver suffers consequences. They have to go to court, pay fines, and there insurance will go up when they finally decide to get insurance because the accident is on their record. The will also suffer damage to their credit if they do not pay these things so it is in the persons best interest to due so. NOW, lets compare that to an a illegal immigrant and the very scenario that I went through. The guy hits me and the police come, they ask for ID, and he doesn't have it, they ask for insurance, he doesn’t have it, they ask for registration, he doesn’t have it. Ok so cop writes him a ticket and he most likely makes up a name since he has no id, then the cop asks for an address and he says he doesn’t have one. I'm not kidding either, I have the police report, and his address is blank. So basically the cop is writing a ticket to a ghost. The guy is not traceable, he will not go to court, he will not pay a fee, and he will not have to worry about credit or insurance premiums. He suffers no consequences at all. Do you get it now!

Old 10-10-2009, 01:35 PM

530 posts, read 1,130,840 times
Quote:
Exactly, I'm one of the few born in San Francisco raised here until 13. Most people out here now are NOT from here. The people complaining all the time are from other places that came here escaping their hated state, failed and have to go back dissapointed because they don't make enough money or can't buy a house. But the excuses will come out about immigrants and high taxes or bad schools blah blah blah. People act like there are no Private schools in CA or good public schools. There are plenty but it's another good excuse to use to escape.
Look my family is worth millions and we have millions invested in Los Angeles, we are not disappointed because we don't make enough money or can't buy a house. This state has MAJOR problems. We are not making excuses up this state is bankrupt for a reason, get it?!?!

Old 10-10-2009, 01:58 PM

530 posts, read 1,130,840 times
Quote:
It's hard not to be when half this forum insists on trashing the state I'm from. It's not about being Naive to the problems, you act like residents don't know what's going on. We are living through it, but it's not the end of the world and it is NOT as bad as you are all making it out to be.

If you have the money you can send your kids to just about any Private school. As for the public schools the suburbs are cheaper than the city, so it depends on where you want to live. The better public schools are usually in the suburbs where houses are cheap.

Forget? How can I forget I'm from Oakland, what do you mean forget? As for the job thing that's not native to California. People can't find jobs from the biggest cities to the smallest cities in EVERY state.
Yes and we have to take in consideration that we may have one of the highest unemployment rates but we have the second largest population in America. We have 35 million people who live in California plus alone the population of just Los Angeles itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California