Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 08:30 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,522,060 times

Advertisements

It is important to remember that the murder rate for whites is very low. The statistics are driven by minority based crime.

A couple of years ago Boston had 110 murders in a year, 100 were black on black.

Sad commentary on the state of minority society, I know, but, if you are white, you have very little likelihood of being a victim of violent crime anywhere, providing you avoid certain areas.
Leading cause of death among white males 15 to 25, dumb accidents
Leading cause of death among black males 15 to 25, murder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 04:50 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,484,772 times
Default Montana and Wyoming dangerous for Californians?

I had no problem the last time I was in Montana and Wyoming (last year). Some of my family live in different locales in Montana. And I drove with California plates. Actually I've never had trouble any time I've been in these places, driving with CA plates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
I live in Boise. The "Don't Californicate My State" stickers are hardly peculiar to Idaho. One can see them in many states west of the Mississippi, especially in Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, and Idaho.
The problem we have with Californians moving here in droves is that they often drive up our poperty taxes and home prices, or buy up our land, or contribute to sprawl. See, their state has seen such a dramatic rise is home prices over the past 30 years that they often come to another state with fistfulls of real estate money. Then our local realtors will increase our home prices accordingly, thus making them more expensive for a local buyer.
Bottom line is that they don't contribute anything positive, only sprawl, smog, higher prices, more developed land, higher property taxes, etc. Also they are often times arrogant and pushy, kinda like how Europeans and much of the world views American tourists.
Now, we're pretty mellow in Idaho and usually let them be, but in Wyoming and Montana driving around with a California license plate can be downright dangerous; it's like a bullseye!

Old 10-29-2009, 06:13 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,522,060 times
Quote:
I had no problem the last time I was in Montana and Wyoming (last year). Some of my family live in different locales in Montana. And I drove with California plates. Actually I've never had trouble any time I've been in these places, driving with CA plates.
Not to sound too darned sexist, but are you somewhat cute? That helps break the ice with the locals..

Old 10-30-2009, 02:58 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,106,218 times
Not trying to beat a dead horse, but whenever I'm able to get back into OTR trucking, I'll go ahead and claim either Danville, IL, or Victorville, CA as my main domiciles when picking up or delivering in other states.

They probably won't say too much about Danville(where I was born), but I could calm their nerves and get on their level about how Victorville used to be as small as the town we are in now.......Until those evil, scary people rumbled through the Pass and set up their fortresses!!!!

Or, simply lie and say you came from some place else if it bothers you that much.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:26 AM

155 posts, read 328,413 times
Well after reading the replies, maybe Californians should start saying......

Stop Californicating California!!!!!

Old 10-30-2009, 12:02 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,484,772 times
I wouldn't think they would think so. I'm a nearly six-foot, 230-pound "white" male with dark hair, dark eyes and a weird last name. Not a "typical Californian" even though I was born and raised (and still live) in the state.

If I went there now they would probably pull me over. I am growing a beard! But anyway.....

Maybe they didn't want to mess with me????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post
Not to sound too darned sexist, but are you somewhat cute? That helps break the ice with the locals..

Old 10-30-2009, 04:59 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,544,666 times
Maybe Californians should just not care so much what people in other states think about them. People in other areas don't care much what Californians think about them... problem solved.

To be honest, I don't care what people in Colorado think about this Californian moving to their state or their fears about how my moving here will affect them. If they're too consumed with it that's their problem. If they want to pay for a bumper sticker that illustrates their problem with my moving here, good for them. In the end, I don't really give a damn. Neither should anyone else. I don't see how it harms them, and they should really just get over it and focus on things they have control over. Californians moving to their state should be the least of their worries right now. Scapegoats and blame are pointless.

Old 11-01-2009, 03:10 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludachris View Post
So what is the definition of "Californication" anyway? Being a native Californian, I can only guess how other states define it...

I'd bet the term describes an influx of California residents who want to: implement more regulations that limit people's freedoms, raise taxes to pay for unaffordable social programs which reduce the incentive to work hard, make the word "dude" a popular local term, bring along all their illegal immigrant friends to take away all the jobs and change the spoken language to Spanish, make interracial relationships more commonplace, push for more separation of church and state to ruin morals, and implement laws that would force the locals to accept gays and lesbians as true equals in the community - thus shoving their immoral alternative lifestyle down the throats of decent folks (really just another result of separation of church and state)... oh yeah, and get everyone to dress like surfers

Does that about cover all the potential fears of how Californians could possibly "Californicate" another state? What did I miss?
Some of the things you listed are legitimate complaints. Oh, and the thing you missed????....the smug vibe Californians give off and which comes through in your post.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 11-01-2009 at 03:23 PM..

Old 11-01-2009, 03:13 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post
Freedom? Funny thing, I moved into California a couple of years ago, I really don't see my freedoms reduced, aside from dog leash laws, the place seems like the rest of the country.
Clarks, why the h*ll do you think it costs so much to rent an apartment or buy a house here????? It's largely because of the enviro-Nazi's and NIMBYs who scream about any and all new development.

The problem with legalism and regulations is that the effects are not directly apparent. They show up in the prices of things, but a lot of people don't make the connection.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:11 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,544,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Some of the things you listed are legitimate complaints. Oh, and the thing you missed????....the smug vibe Californians give off and which comes through in your post.
Which is no different than the smug vibes that come off in others' posts - who happen not to be Californian. Try to pigeonhole all you want. Californians don't own the patent on being smug - I've learned that first hand. If you look around, you'll see people being just as smug when talking about Californians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California