Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 05:26 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,374,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Can't come back if there are only McJobs available.
Can be very hard to come back once you leave...

Several friends lost homes in the Oakland Firestorm and took their settlements to Idaho and Montana... only one made a real go of it and said they would never come back...

Several of the others had marriages that ended in divorce... something about those long winters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 10:47 PM

15,083 posts, read 20,391,397 times
Nothing you can do about it.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:57 PM

16,581 posts, read 27,248,742 times
I feel the anti-California vibe from Oregonians the most. These are people who often move here!

I love my state but living here has become next to impossible. You can have a degree and still work at the same jobs getting the same pay as those without.

I tend to put some of the blame on some other reasons why we're screwed but I don't feel like getting into any arguments.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:23 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,982,744 times
This notion that folks will Californicate another state is nonsense given that the wealthy leave to pay less taxes, and the poor leave because they can't afford to live here. Both groups simply wish to move on, and I'm sure they try and fit in rather than convince their new neighbors that they should be more Californian. I think certain states are just paranoid.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:53 AM

1,664 posts, read 3,938,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Can be very hard to come back once you leave...

Several friends lost homes in the Oakland Firestorm and took their settlements to Idaho and Montana... only one made a real go of it and said they would never come back...

Several of the others had marriages that ended in divorce... something about those long winters?
Seems like the cold, long winters would have got them in the snuggle mode???
Nothing better than a warm women on a cold night!

Old 10-14-2009, 01:13 AM

28,107 posts, read 63,374,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
Seems like the cold, long winters would have got them in the snuggle mode???
Nothing better than a warm women on a cold night!
Only if both wanted to be there

Old 10-14-2009, 10:07 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,357,988 times
I've raised the ire of many ex-Californians in other forums, so I might as well answer this one and get everybody twisted off here. The term "Californicate" has been around--as others have posted--for about 30 years. It was (and is) especially commonly used in the Rocky Mountain states, which have been the target of "invasion" by a lot of ex-Californians for many years.

The simple fact is that many of us in those states do not like the massive influx of population--especially when those transplants seem determined to remake the place into what they say they wish to escape, which is exactly what is happening in much of the Rocky Mountain West. Many Californians seem to have a real "hubris" about themselves--thinking that they are the trendsetters for the rest of the country and that they are more "enlightened" than everyone else. The first statement is likely true, but the second is one with which many non-Californians--me included--would vehemently disagree. Misguided is probably a much better description for many California-associated "ideas."

In the end, though, it is sheer numbers that make residents of other states often resent the influx of ex-Californians and the value structure and ideals that they carry to other states. California is the 900-pound gorilla. Consider, for example, that if only 3% of the California population moved to a state like Montana, the ex-Californians would be the majority population in the state. That brings no comfort to natives and long-time residents to those places--especially when ex-Californians make statements to long-times residents, as one did to me, like this one: "One of these days, we Californians will be the majority here, and we'll run all of you 'good ol' boy' sons-of-b****es out." I find it especially humorous, in a sad way, that many long-time Californians rail about the influx of immigrants, domestic and foreign, entering their state, but can't figure out why people in other states get upset when hordes of Californians transplant to their state--and threaten to change the very character of the place. No difference.

Now, I will say this: I think California has one of the most magnificent physical geographies on the planet. Fortunately, too, it had some early visionaries--people like John Muir--who did much to protect some of its most magnificent landscapes. Being a former agriculturalist, I also admire California's historical status as a leader in the agriculture in the US. But, beyond that, I think much of what has been wrought by man in California in the last half-century or so--auto-dependent suburbia, the California hedonistic "lifestyle," moral laxity, "nanny-state" mentality, and the like--have been extremely harmful to California--and the whole country. I think that we are going to pay dearly for those widely embraced, but misguided ideas.

A friend, a Colorado native whose work took him to California for several years, made this statement about the place that I thought was quite insightful: "California is a geographically magnificent place, but its population has become unworthy of that geography."

Old 10-14-2009, 10:24 AM

222 posts, read 858,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanAaron View Post
I saw this on a bumper sticker in Boise in Idaho, my fiance said it has to do with Californians moving to Idaho, anyone else know any information on this?

Why are they leaving California I can't wait to go there?
We relocated to Boise, ID from San Jose, CA in August 2002. Didn't bother
changing our CA plates to ID plates until 3-months later, and didn't
experience any hostility. In fact, the neighbors across the street
helped us unload our belongings from the rental truck.

It should be more about WHO you are rather than WHERE you're from.

Wouldn't be the least bit concerned about an isolated bumper sticker. If
there were armed militias at the state border forcing vehicles with CA
plates to turn around and return to CA then we'd have a problem.

Keep in mind that California is the most populous state (11th by land density)
in the USA while Idaho ranks 39th (44th by land density). It's only logical to
assume that more Californians relocate elsewhere than any those in any
other state.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:38 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,752,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
I find it especially humorous, in a sad way, that many long-time Californians rail about the influx of immigrants, domestic and foreign, entering their state, but can't figure out why people in other states get upset when hordes of Californians transplant to their state--and threaten to change the very character of the place.
Can't figure out, or don't care? The latter would cover me. I've been here all my life, save for my service years, and have no intention of leaving. So if hordes of ex-Californians are upsetting the status quo in your state, I respectfully say "that's your problem."

Old 10-14-2009, 10:49 AM

16,581 posts, read 27,248,742 times
Quote:
he California hedonistic "lifestyle," moral laxity, "nanny-state" mentality, and the like--have been extremely harmful to California--and the whole country. I think that we are going to pay dearly for those widely embraced, but misguided ideas.
Expand on this please?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California