U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 04:22 PM

7,962 posts, read 9,833,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
You know Californians may complain about the immigration issue, but what border state doesn't? Arizona and Texas know about this as well.

One thing we don't complain about is having most of our large cities populated by other fellow Americans who are non Ca. natives. Go to San Francisco and San Diego in particular and you'll see that perhaps a small majority are non natives. Yet you don't hear us complaining about Ca. becoming too midwestern or northeastern of "Colorado-ized".

For every Californian who's moved to some other state, there's probably 8 to 10 who moved into Ca. from other states.
I complain about Eastern carpetbaggers, and, people from even further, who have come here and, instead of assimilating in any way (perfection is not required) to the native culture, have essentially created a bunch of Westchester clones.

As a result, in most urbanized coastal areas, the old Californio culture is all but extinct. In the rest of the state, it is under assault.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
"One of these days, we Californians will be the majority here, and we'll run all of you 'good ol' boy' sons-of-b****es out."
Supreme irony: Perhaps not uttered directly, but implied through long term action, the many carpetbaggers and other arrivals who've come to California with no intention of assimilating, exhibited this exact mentality. One need look no further to understand why California, once a great Western US state, has fallen so far. Those who truly opened up and built California from its frontier days, and their descendants, were deemed hicks, rubes, rednecks, Cowboys and hayseeds.

No use for such bumpkins, bring in the slickie boys and foreign PhDs, to run the show correctly, etc. /sarc

Quote:
"California is a geographically magnificent place, but its population has become unworthy of that geography."
And mark my words, there will come a day when those lacking the old Californio renaissance man frontier skills, will be in a bad way. This geography and its flora and fauna are already pushing back. Into the void created by the unworthy shall step the fury of a rugged land.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:52 PM

18,985 posts, read 16,194,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
It's almost a return to the Gold Rush Days... people come to CA to seek their fortune... many fail miserably and some do OK.

So many of those I know left made all their money here so in leaving the State is also loosing Income and Sales Taxes too.
Guilty! I didn't come to seek my fortune, I was planted there, as was my wife, but yes, we made our little bit of money and secured our retirement there and are grateful we had that opportunity. We're also grateful we are old enopugh to have truly experienced the real California Dream as children and young-to-middle-aged adults. Those were precious times and will remain so forever in our memories

I think that those experiences and recollections are what makes seeing what's transpired during the last decade or two so painful to us. We know first-hand that the Great State of California can do better if it just resurrects and uses the will and strength of character to do so.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:03 PM

969 posts, read 1,066,959 times
This thread makes me laugh because it's just like all the Southerners complaining about the Northerners moving down South, etc etc. It sure does seem like Californians and Northerners are the most despised groups of people in the country.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
This thread makes me laugh because it's just like all the Southerners complaining about the Northerners moving down South, etc etc. It sure does seem like Californians and Northerners are the most despised groups of people in the country.
We're more akin to Northern Virginians.

The area used to be part of the real US West, but then got turned into something else by carpetbaggers. Just like the way NoVA used to be part of Dixie and was transformed into a more "Northeastern" place. Now, Northern Virginians are considered to be Yankees.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:29 PM

11,727 posts, read 24,425,096 times
Maybe the solution is to wall off the Northeast to keep them in.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:54 PM

983 posts, read 1,107,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Maybe the solution is to wall off the Northeast to keep them in.
You got to build that wall to the south first.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:11 PM

983 posts, read 1,107,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
We're more akin to Northern Virginians.

The area used to be part of the real US West, but then got turned into something else by carpetbaggers. Just like the way NoVA used to be part of Dixie and was transformed into a more "Northeastern" place. Now, Northern Virginians are considered to be Yankees.
What area is still "real"? No state is untainted by either natural born americans who moved or recent immigrants, legal or illegal. I gave up on the whole billy yank/johnny reb thing a long time ago and I lived up and down the east coast in several states as well in the real south (which is not where I am now in South Florida). Northern VA is full of recent immigrants and foreign nationals.

No area is good enough to support people's needs anymore. The days of Ward Clever are over.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:40 PM

18,985 posts, read 16,194,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blauskies View Post
The days of Ward Clever are over.
And more's the pity. But Wally and The Beave still live through some of us old farts so there's always hope! In many ways it was a kinder, gentler and better time.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:10 PM
Status: "Do I feel winter on it's way? #SkiSeason" (set 26 days ago)

290 posts, read 589,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Can't come back if there are only McJobs available.
There aren't McJobs available. I checked and the local fast food stopped taking applications.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California