Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2009, 09:36 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,674,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Someone obviously pushed for this for it to become a bill.
Most bills are "pushed"

Old 10-14-2009, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

And in celebrating Harvey Milk, we are praising the life of someone whose claim to fame is indeed their sexuality. I'm sorry, what?
10, 20, 30years from now the fight for homosexual rights will be a part of history and taught in schools just like we learn in school about what happened 10, 20, 30 years ago.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
Thank God I live in the Northwest.
Lucky you! I can't wait to get out of the South besides the few urban pockets it's so backwards here.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:40 AM

282 posts, read 525,043 times
I don't think being gay is a lifestyle its a life that someones lives.~~That would be a lifestyle?? A life that someone lives IS a lifestyle..
History is History....when you go to school to be a teacher you will learn about History because you have to teach it in classes...History is what has made America. Liking men or women is a sexual preference..something that is not important in education!

Old 10-14-2009, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2redheads View Post
I don't think being gay is a lifestyle its a life that someones lives.~~That would be a lifestyle?? A life that someone lives IS a lifestyle..
History is History....when you go to school to be a teacher you will learn about History because you have to teach it in classes...History is what has made America. Liking men or women is a sexual preference..something that is not important in education!
50 years from now, the fight for homosexual rights will be a part of "American History" taught all over the country. It's your choice to progress and live with an open mind or choose to be left behind.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:45 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,575,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
How can you respectfully disagree and then tell me that I cannot see beyond my own situation and I have dropped out once I got mine?

LOL

See, this is where the waters get muddied and church and state inevitably mix.

What you call Equality, I call Sin.

So what do we do then?

Why not remove Marriage from Civil Law and give it back to churches. And then make all couples, gay or straight enter into civil unions that give all the rights and protections currently given only to married couples.

That satisfies the demands of equality and faith. And separates church and state.
And what you call 'Sin' I call BS. Not everyone subscribes to your religion.

Marriage is not owned by the church, and it has evolved over the centuries to suit society at large. Elimination of dowrys, childhood marriage, bethrothals etc etc. and marriage will continue to evolve as time goes on.

I'm an Atheist and I will get married one day to my militantly Atheist boyfriend. Bummer, eh?

Regarding Harvey Milk day... I'm happy California passed this, but it will probably just be another passing day for some people to celebrate and others to forget. Just like the plethora of other 'days' that go by uncelebrated.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat02 View Post
It's not so much the issue, but the way it's being paraded around and promoted like half of the intent is to p1ss certain groups off. That's the only thing that bugs me about it. As for the rights themselves, I'm in favor but why make a drama play out of it? How about subtlety and tact. You'll p1ss a lot less people off that way, but that's not the method people are going for. A lot of people are making as much noise and clamor as they can.

"Too much, too soon" does apply. Some people roll their eyes, but society isn't always ready to move at the speed of light. Why not work on rights in baby steps and then implement these observation/holi-days down the line sometime? Subtlety and tact. It goes a long way.
Because there are gay people alive today who might never have the chance so the fight is and will always be there until achieved.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:52 AM

282 posts, read 525,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
50 years from now, the fight for homosexual rights will be a part of "American History" taught all over the country. It's your choice to progress and live with an open mind or choose to be left behind.

ok big woop , it STILL doesn't need to be a holiday for public schools! I really don't see how I will be "left behind" because that is what I think, that doesn't make sense at all...

Old 10-14-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2redheads View Post
ok big woop , it STILL doesn't need to be a holiday for public schools! I really don't see how I will be "left behind" because that is what I think, that doesn't make sense at all...
It's your choice. It's not a holiday its a day where children can learn about a single person and his events.

Hopefully if one of you children or grandchildren turn out to be gay you will have a more open mind.

Mothers and Grandmothers like you usually change 180degrees when it's at your doorstep.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:00 AM

420 posts, read 475,188 times
I just dont know what to say. I try to remain bias but wow. This is a perfect example of why ignorance and being naive is not so bad. This is what happens when people overthink themselves to the point of overwhelmdon, the intelligence is so extreme that it becomes ignorant. You begin to lose balance on life. You go so hard on a certain something like being black, being gay, being fat, being white. etc, you go so hard on worrying about things to that nature to the point you say, (blank) everything esle, and dont consider others and the way they live. A Gay Day? Only in California. What the gay needs special attention or something? Wheres Stop the Gang violence day or No Hollywood Politicians Day? I once responded on a thread that said, "Why is the country talking so badly about Louisiana", well California get ready, its payback time, thanks for the ammo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California