U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2009, 05:13 AM

56 posts, read 169,307 times

Advertisements

Hey all. I am a half black 30 year old raised in a small New England town. I have been out of America for the last 10 years and am considering moving back to the States. While I was visiting some friends in SoCal (LA/Riverside) I was totally shocked at the black folks in Cali. No attitude and mostly no "yo-yo" accents. I say I am shocked, because once I moved around on the east coast, I found that I was the "weird" one because I had more of a "white" accent. EVERYONE would always ask where I was from. It seems in Cali, no one cared where I was from and my accent didn't surprise anyone. I found everyone to be friendly and talkative, much more then the east coast. I was so pleasantly surprised that I am very much now considering moving to California.

Is this wonderful attitude like this everywhere in Cali, or just the LA area? Also, while I was there it seems that biracial relationships were very common. Is that also the true?

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 05:17 AM

71,926 posts, read 83,566,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanis View Post
Hey all. I am a half black 30 year old raised in a small New England town. I have been out of America for the last 10 years and am considering moving back to the States. While I was visiting some friends in SoCal (LA/Riverside) I was totally shocked at the black folks in Cali. No attitude and mostly no "yo-yo" accents. I say I am shocked, because once I moved around on the east coast, I found that I was the "weird" one because I had more of a "white" accent. EVERYONE would always ask where I was from. It seems in Cali, no one cared where I was from and my accent didn't surprise anyone. I found everyone to be friendly and talkative, much more then the east coast. I was so pleasantly surprised that I am very much now considering moving to California.

Is this wonderful attitude like this everywhere in Cali, or just the LA area? Also, while I was there it seems that biracial relationships were very common. Is that also the true?

Thanks!
In all counts pretty much true. Of course you would see a different picture if you were to wander through areas like Watts, Compton and So.Los Angeles or any inner city area, like San Francisco, but when you get to the burbs people are people, So Ca, in fact most of Ca is very culturally diverse.

Nita

Old 10-15-2009, 09:51 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,347,387 times
I would agree with nmnita for the most part. While blacks in the...let's just say, less than desirable areas can have that "yo-yo" attitude and accent you're speaking of, for the most part we tend to not be afraid to show that we have a good grasp on the English language when speaking. I'm black too and cali native. When you're a native you may notice the small differences from place to place but these would be imperceptible to a non native, hell it's not even evident to many natives.

I've worked with a lot of blacks from out of state (particularly not from the west coast) and they would comment that we were "different" out here. I think this "difference" is true for the west coast in general.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:34 AM

305 posts, read 685,200 times
Quote:

Thanks!
Yes it is, for the most part it's true.

Like nmnita was saying, it's different once you step into areas that are considered the "inner-city". But for the most part, you get blacks from all backgrounds and attitudes all over L.A. and SoCal. Nobody cares what you do here in California, and that's the beauty of being here.

I remember when I was a kid I went to go visit relatives on my mother's side of the family in Philly, and a lot of black people out there said that we sounded like the Brady Bunch. The thing is that nearly every black person in California talks like this, I can definitely attest to that due to me, my immediate family and my pool of friends.

And yes, interracial relationships are all over this state, moreso than any other state in this nation. And the best part is that most people simply do not care for the most part, especially in comparison to other regions in the country.

As I stated, I'm black, born and raised in California so I decided to throw my 2 cents in here.

Old 10-15-2009, 01:38 PM

1,554 posts, read 4,827,114 times
Quote:

Thanks!
LOL oh god.

Old 10-15-2009, 02:57 PM

1,618 posts, read 3,369,737 times
Quote:

Thanks!
You have probably hit upon a very redeeming quality for California. Most folks here are from somewhere else and we tend to be accepting and friendly to each other.

So, welcome to California and bring your tax money!

Old 10-16-2009, 10:16 AM

7,688 posts, read 25,670,951 times
Quote:

Thanks!
It is the true. "Gangstas" from all areas have the attitude, of course, and they do live all over the place, but everyday black folk here in the Bay Area are just as you describe. As a white person who grew up here, it's natural to notice the skin color, especially in an area like mine which doesn't have a large black presence, but it's just like running into a green apple instead of a red apple - it's still an apple.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:49 AM

1,554 posts, read 4,827,114 times
Ok this post is stupid, why? Because we as Blacks are not some homogeneous group that behaves one way, you'll find as you call it, "yo yo" blacks here just like anywhere. You'll find educated, uneducated, ignorant, genius etc , what ever. You seem to have some self hate issues and a serious image problem being that you're worried how others perceive your "blackness". Are you serious?

Old 10-16-2009, 02:41 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,555,922 times
Hrrmmm from my experience blacks in California, are different culturally and have different attitudes on life than blacks I knew in the south (Florida) or even Chicago for instance. There seems to be more of a commonality there, due to migration periods. In my experience it is more accepting and less tension out here. That being said, I am not black so, I could be wrong...but that is the perception I get. People across the board tend to be more open and accepting though and not as worried about your race/creed/religion than in other parts of the country.

Last edited by grapico; 10-16-2009 at 02:52 PM..

Old 10-16-2009, 03:08 PM

1,366 posts, read 2,928,151 times
IMO I think African Americans in Southern California behave quite a bit differently than in the east or (especially) southeast (note I am comparing AA behavior in "nicer" neighborhoods in both regions). To me what race you are is less significant/important in California compared to other areas. People are much less likely to care if you are Black (or Asian or Hispanic) or treat you differently because you are African American. It is, in my view, a culture that generally defines ones race as a secondary, as opposed to primary, way of differentiating people. There are also so many minorities and different types of minorities that African Americans don't really stand out. A lot of places in the NE are 80% white and 15% black and 5% "other." In SoCal you have Hispanics (from Mexico and other countries), Asians (from China, Taiwan, Korea, Vietnam, Hong Kong, Thailand, India) and then you have Armenians and other immigrant groups. If you discriminate against non-whites in Southern California it would practically be a full time job.

Disclaimer: I am White and grew up in the east coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California