U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 11:25 AM

6 posts, read 29,377 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for some advice on where to move within California. I grew-up in the Bay Area, but live in Lake Tahoe now. We've outgrown Tahoe quickly - not enough going on professionally. We're considering Oregon, but I really want to stay in California. Looked at Santa Cruz, but it SO expensive and has some downsides.

We're in our late 20s - both educated professionals - liberal. Obviously, love the outdoor lifestyle. We'd like to live somewhere where we can continue that lifestyle, but also go out at night, walk to a cute downtown, shops, etc. The hotter, the better. We'd like to buy a house that's not outrageously priced (but we grew-up here, so we know what to expect). We'd like somewhere relatively safe, good for kids (in the future), and a solid community.

Don't want to live in a city - don't want to move to the 'burbs. Somewhere that has it's own personality / lifestyle - probably around 100,000 people.

We're open - anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 11:28 AM

8,275 posts, read 26,349,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi29 View Post
I'm looking for some advice on where to move within California. I grew-up in the Bay Area, but live in Lake Tahoe now. We've outgrown Tahoe quickly - not enough going on professionally. We're considering Oregon, but I really want to stay in California. Looked at Santa Cruz, but it SO expensive and has some downsides.

We're in our late 20s - both educated professionals - liberal. Obviously, love the outdoor lifestyle. We'd like to live somewhere where we can continue that lifestyle, but also go out at night, walk to a cute downtown, shops, etc. The hotter, the better. We'd like to buy a house that's not outrageously priced (but we grew-up here, so we know what to expect). We'd like somewhere relatively safe, good for kids (in the future), and a solid community.

Don't want to live in a city - don't want to move to the 'burbs. Somewhere that has it's own personality / lifestyle - probably around 100,000 people.

We're open - anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for your help.
Check out the central CA coast - SLO / Atascadero / Paso Robles. It's pricey though, and job opps are not plentiful. gorgeous area though.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:31 AM

6 posts, read 29,377 times
My husband went to Poly - he's an architect. That area is AMAZING, but there's not enough happening architecturally - SLO is obviously saturated with architects too.

Any other suggestions??

Thanks for replying.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:34 AM

8,275 posts, read 26,349,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi29 View Post
My husband went to Poly - he's an architect. That area is AMAZING, but there's not enough happening architecturally - SLO is obviously saturated with architects too.

Any other suggestions??

Thanks for replying.
To be honest, I don't think anything meets your criteria. CA's professional opportunities are concentrated in it's cities. Rural CA is gorgeous and safe but I can never seem to understand how anyone makes a living.

Old 05-08-2007, 02:42 PM

3,178 posts, read 13,425,605 times
Have you tried Davis? YOu might really like it - or even Auburn since it's still in the foothills but close enough to sacramento to commute for jobs.

In southern California - I'd look into Redlands

Old 05-09-2007, 04:31 AM

9,963 posts, read 22,191,709 times
Come to Vegas and live in one of the many master planned communities. It gets nice and hot here in the summer.
That way you aren't smack dab in the middle of the city,but in a nice little community of about 100,000 people.

Old 05-09-2007, 03:32 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,993,018 times
The Central Valley has so many nice towns and cities,but I highly recommend Bakersfield.

Old 05-09-2007, 04:45 PM

157 posts, read 764,506 times
What about Ojai? It's small, but it's beautiful and it's pretty close to Ventura. Ojai has a pretty strong sense of community and personality.

Old 05-09-2007, 04:47 PM

157 posts, read 764,506 times
Oh, and I forgot -- Ojai gets nice and hot in the summer

Old 05-10-2007, 12:10 PM

76 posts, read 361,251 times
What about Redlands? It is its own little town/city nice down town good uninversity close to lots of big cities for you all professionally, good hiking in the local mountiains, sking and snowboarding in Big Bear and Lake Arrowhead, they have a street fair farmers market and a lot of nice local shops/boutiques etc? No ocean though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or