Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 06:08 PM

171 posts, read 879,616 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
Can you please tell me in your opinion, what is the best lake community in CA, in regards to family living? We are a family of five, love the water, boating, swimming, biking, practically every outdoor activity
We need great schools, affordable home and a 1 hour or less commute to major airport for work. Looking for a neighborhood where you can make life long friends, etc.

Any ideas for me to check into? And why is that your favorite spot, ammenties, local culture, area events etc?? Places to steer clear from?

Thanks for your time, can't wait to here all about it.
~Kali
PS We have narrowed it down to a few states. Please help us decide where to take our next visit and start our search for a new quality of life!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 07:37 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times
if you don't mind hot weather, lake havasu is fantastic. it's right no the border b/w CA and AZ but the city is on the AZ side if you don't mind that. during the summer, it is a blast to go out on the lake. the city is fun and not very expensive.

castaic lake is awesome. it's in los angeles county so it will be tons of fun. santa clarita is the closest city. the best part is that's where SIX Flags is located-GREAT FUN FOR THE KIDS!!!!

lake nacimiento is a great lake. don't know about the city though.

Big Bear Lake is definately my favorite choce. one of my favorite cities (quite a samll town but i love it even though i can't stand small towns). the lake is great for summer activities in the summer and with Bear Mountain right behind you, you have a great winter spot. the los angeles beaches are only about two to three hours away.DEFINATELY MY FAVORITE

lake perris is also fantastic because it is a beautiful lake surrounded by large cities that will be great fun for your children.

http://www.caoutdoors.com/Lakes_MainPage.htm

that website is very helpful

Old 05-20-2007, 01:32 AM

3 posts, read 48,010 times
Default Clearlake, CA

I would recommend Clearlake, CA. I went there for a week in the summer for two summers and I loved it! It's about two hours north of San Francisco, and 1 1/2 hours from Sonoma and Napa (Wine Country). The lake is really large and there is lots of opportunities for water sports like boating, swimming, jetskiing, and water skiing. It's also about 3 hours away from Lake Tahoe, so its not too far for weekend trips. I don't know about the schools or job opportunities, but its worth looking into. You can get more info at http://www.city-data.com/city/Clearlake-California.html

Good luck on finding your perfect lake community!

Old 05-21-2007, 01:50 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,084,005 times
Shasta, Trinity, and Siskiyou Counties.. all easy access to each other

Shasta Lake..largest in California.. new map shows 420 miles of shoreline, 10 marinas, 425 public/650 private houseboats... fed by three rivers.. Pit Sacramento and McCloud...

Whiskeytown.. super clear.. you can see 30 feet down.. no PWC's (yea) clean and cold.. nice

Trinity Lake.. usually empty.. more remote..

Many other small lakes ..PGE owned etc.. nice for small boats

Many high mountain lakes.. good for hiking to and skinny dipping.. right now pretty cold water.. but later will be awesome

Ill be there on most of them this summer (USCG)... so will the Sheriff.. be good.. have fun.. dont drink and operate your boat

"Its your boat.. its your responsibility"

Old 05-21-2007, 02:20 PM

193 posts, read 1,402,737 times
Don't be tempted,though you may see some less expensive real estate, by Lake Elsinore in Riverside county. I think there are enough posts throughout the various threads that give plenty of reasons as to why.

Good luck!

Old 08-08-2007, 07:11 PM

60 posts, read 365,081 times
Does anyone know anything about the town of Shasta Lake? Is it as hot as Redding? Nice or mostly rural poor in mobiles and modulars?

Old 08-08-2007, 08:03 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,434,862 times
I live by Lake Mission Viejo in southern Orange County. Don't come here if you love speed boating or water skiing (electric boats/Duffy Boats only), but it is still a great lake (even though it was man made). Some things you can do: Swim in some of Southern California's cleanest water, fish (catfish, bass, trout, and sunfish), windsurf, go sailing, pedal boats, and do the scenic lake walk around the lake. There are several bike trails in the area, especially around the mountain you see in the one photo. You are an hour from Los Angeles International Airport and twenty minutes from John Wayne Orange County Airport with service to every major airline's hubs. The beach is twenty minutes away and the school districts are top notch. Granted, it is expensive here and it is a suburban lifestyle, definitely not the country. There still are areas though with pockets of nature like Aliso Woods Canyon, Santiago Canyon, and others to escape into nature. Again, not a lake for speed boating so that may rule this out.

http://www.viphousesearch.com/xsites/Agents/viphousesearch/content/uploadedFiles/lake2.jpeg (broken link)

Old 08-09-2007, 01:19 PM

58 posts, read 287,172 times
Mt. Shasta City is a small town in a beautiful high-country setting of pines, and lakes, and staggering ancient volcanoes. I would love to live there on a couple of acres, but there is no suburb-type life. The population consists primarily of hard-working people with a modest lifestyle.

Carolyn Montgomery
Realtor

Old 09-06-2012, 08:52 AM

2 posts, read 44,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaligirl View Post
Hi Everyone,
Can you please tell me in your opinion, what is the best lake community in CA, in regards to family living? We are a family of five, love the water, boating, swimming, biking, practically every outdoor activity
We need great schools, affordable home and a 1 hour or less commute to major airport for work. Looking for a neighborhood where you can make life long friends, etc.

Any ideas for me to check into? And why is that your favorite spot, ammenties, local culture, area events etc?? Places to steer clear from?

Thanks for your time, can't wait to here all about it.
~Kali
PS We have narrowed it down to a few states. Please help us decide where to take our next visit and start our search for a new quality of life!
LAKE ISABELLA CA , and here's a lil info for ya [url=http://www.ebay.com/itm/180965063372?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p39 84.m1555.l2649]Spacious energy effecient home in resort like setting | eBay[/url] this a listing for my home but it contains great info about the entire area of lake isabell kern river valley hope u find this helpfull

Old 09-06-2012, 08:54 AM

2 posts, read 44,639 times
LAKE ISABELLA CA , and here's a lil info for ya [url=http://www.ebay.com/itm/180965063372?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p39 84.m1555.l2649]Spacious energy effecient home in resort like setting | eBay[/url] this a listing for my home but it contains great info about the entire area of lake isabell kern river valley hope u find this helpfull
great for kids family schools activities , close to three airports check it out we liked growing up here and still return often
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California