U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 09:30 AM

434 posts, read 717,150 times

Advertisements

California math scores among nation's worst | state, tests, students, scores, california - News - OCRegister.com

No matter. What's important is their environmental awareness, non-judgemental values, self esteem and other PC rot. Besides even if they are too stupid to earn a decent job they can always live off the labor of someone else. It's the new California way. Keep voting for the same Sacramento leaders and you will get more of the same outcome. Thats logic 101, but it's not taught in shcools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 09:43 AM

16,584 posts, read 33,810,715 times
"In Orange County, fewer than 100 students take the test each year. The names of participating schools are not released."

Well that narrows it down.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:07 AM

32,397 posts, read 55,240,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
"In Orange County, fewer than 100 students take the test each year. The names of participating schools are not released."

Well that narrows it down.
+1 for you.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:43 PM

301 posts, read 1,347,869 times
Frankly, I could care less how California performs. What matters to me is how the schools in my city perform. That has a direct correlation on my quality of life.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:49 PM

26,346 posts, read 83,075,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterDuke View Post
Frankly, I could care less how California performs. What matters to me is how the schools in my city perform. That has a direct correlation on my quality of life.
I'd rather go to the best school in California than an average school in the state with the best schools.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:02 PM

302 posts, read 774,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by native56 View Post
No matter. What's important is their environmental awareness, non-judgemental values, self esteem and other PC rot. Besides even if they are too stupid to earn a decent job they can always live off the labor of someone else. It's the new California way. Keep voting for the same Sacramento leaders and you will get more of the same outcome. Thats logic 101, but it's not taught in shcools.
By the way, don't believe that everyone in California is non-judgemental. There are plenty of illegals and legal persons of foreign persuasion in California that pass judgement on conservatives and American values. This "celebrate diversity" crap is really just a smokescreen for a new way of thinking.

I agree with everything else in your post.

Old 10-23-2009, 12:00 PM

1,313 posts, read 5,809,780 times
Lies, damn lies and statistics. What these data don't show is the real problem in education: the performance gap. It isn't at all an issue of sub-par performance on the part of every student. Different students at the same school are scoring at the very top and the very bottom of the scoring rubrics. So what does that tell us about the quality of the schools? It tells us that the home education culture and expectations for academic success vary greatly among the different families whose kids attend that school. Students who are motivated to do well, do do well and the school itself is not a barrier to their success. Those who aren't motivated will likewise get out of it what they put into it. It's a poor craftsman who blames his tools.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:12 PM

98 posts, read 556,505 times
California's public school curriculum is standards-based, standards driven. Here's a little sample for you:

Mathematical Reasoning
1.0 Students make decisions about how to set up a problem:
1.1 Determine the approach, materials, and strategies to be used.
1.2 Use tools, such as manipulatives or sketches, to model problems.
2.0 Students solve problems and justify their reasoning:
2.1 Defend the reasoning used and justify the procedures selected.
2.2 Make precise calculations and check the validity of the results in the context of the problem.

And those are standards are for SECOND GRADE.

"...non-judgemental values, self esteem and other PC rot" does not happen to be among the zillions of standards listed. You can go to the CDE website and check it out for yourselves.
Curriculum & Instruction (CA Dept of Education)

Old 10-23-2009, 10:31 PM

4,152 posts, read 9,847,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by native56 View Post
California math scores among nation's worst | state, tests, students, scores, california - News - OCRegister.com

And from the end of the article:

"This dichotomy is confusing, which is one reason states have said it's time for core content standards common for all states and an assessment aligned to those standards," he said.
Other standardized tests administered nationally, like the SAT and ACT consistently show students in Orange County outscoring their peers in the state and nationally. State averages on those tests are also generally higher than they were for Wednesday's national report card scores.

Old 10-24-2009, 10:04 AM

2,575 posts, read 4,697,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterDuke View Post
Amen. My son went to Davis schools and the API and SAT score averages are very high here. He and most of his friends got into excellent colleges, most with some scholarship help. The music program is killer; his high school orchestra won a silver medal at a high school competition at Carnegie Hall, and the school is listed as one of 24 Grammy Signature Schools in the U.S. My son placed into Multivariate Calculus his first semester of freshman year in college - so much for poor math training in CA schools. So the schools here are fantastic. And the reason is the parents support their kids' education and get involved in the schools, and the kids, even the foreign-born ones, speak English, so the teachers aren't struggling with a class of non-English speaking students from multiple backgrounds. The teachers can only do so much - good education depends on families valuing it and expecting their children to perform.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California