U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 08-09-2010, 06:08 PM

16,090 posts, read 11,390,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highnlite View Post
we were discussing ski mountaineering, that was my statement, you claimed to have received mountaineering training, you didn't no one in the service does. At least not at the level of good liberal mountaineers.

What you have done here is point out your ignorance of Mexican life. There is a reason why they don't, and it is not based on your ideas of what is nasty or not. Now, you have said to let an illegal Mexican family live in your home with you. Is there a way to know which are illegal Mexicans and which are not? I would like to know.

You do understand that the border is enforced, and the number of illegals crossing it has dropped over the past ten years, ,, don't you?

Ok, so now the border is enforced, which leaves us with 12 million or so illegals in this country, now what?
That's fairly easy. You fine and jail the people hiring them. You deport enough that they return by self-deporation. It's not rocket science.
Despite your "claim" that the US economy, no, the World economy is running on the Illegal Alien engine, our economy won't collapse without slave like labor. Do you have a sweatshop or a farm paying 1.50 an hour? Otherwise, why do you want the flow of near slave labor to keep coming? Why should I subsidize your illegal business? Please tell.

Please explain what we used for labor 25 years ago? Oh, that's right. It was people like me. Farm jobs weren't pennies on the dollar. The farm owners had to actually pay us or their crops rotted.

I am more than ready to pay more for produce if it prevents our schools and ERs from being flooded with them.
Quick reply to this message

Unread 08-09-2010, 07:30 PM

794 posts, read 778,560 times
What happened to California? Two words,

Illegals - Unions

Unread 08-09-2010, 08:13 PM

17,566 posts, read 13,206,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highnlite View Post
we were discussing ski mountaineering, that was my statement, you claimed to have received mountaineering training, you didn't no one in the service does. At least not at the level of good liberal mountaineers.
Actually not. You were. There's more to mountaineering than just skiing. You appear to think you know all about military training. Something makes me doubt you were ever in the military. Of course, I could be wrong. But regardless, I never realized that there was mountaineering for liberals and separate mountaineering for conservatives. Learn something new every day.

Guess you never came across any skiers from the 10th "Mountain" Infantry Division or any members of the Alaska Scouts.

You'll have to pardom me if I find you amusing.

Unread 08-09-2010, 08:30 PM

16,090 posts, read 11,390,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwy phantom View Post

Illegals - Unions
No words have been more true!

Unread 08-09-2010, 10:01 PM

8,266 posts, read 8,726,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwy phantom View Post

Illegals - Unions
So true & they will continue to dominate ca for a long time to come.

Unread 08-10-2010, 12:27 AM

385 posts, read 770,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
A higher sales tax, and a reduction of state income tax, would effectively bypass the ability to not pay taxes. At the state level, at least.
But C,mon man..How much higher can they hike up the sales tax? I mean were taxed to death as is in CA(Sales tax, DMV, bridge tolls).. I guess taking from every state resource is their answer? Portland has no sales tax..Were getting shafted out here, and we enjoy it, Plain and simple.

Unread 08-10-2010, 02:08 AM

1,920 posts, read 2,317,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjRey View Post
But C,mon man..How much higher can they hike up the sales tax? I mean were taxed to death as is in CA(Sales tax, DMV, bridge tolls).. I guess taking from every state resource is their answer? Portland has no sales tax..Were getting shafted out here, and we enjoy it, Plain and simple.
Did you miss the part wherein I mentioned reducing the income tax?

Oregon doesn't have a sales tax and the result is property owners get stuck paying a disproportionate amount of the taxes.

The reality of the situation is taxes are necessary. In addition to irresponsible government, we have a problem with not enough people paying taxes. There is a tax deduction for having kids. I haven't sat down to calculate what a couple earning $XX a year is paying in taxes, but the probability is half of them aren't paying anything between the deduction for kids, the mortgage deduction, and the property tax deduction. I did calculate it for a single parent earning $35K a year, and they pay nothing more than the taxes added to their utility bills and sales tax.

I'm not advocating higher taxes. I'm really quite a fiscal conservative I just think everyone is obligated to pay some level of taxes, not just the people earning over an income in excess of some magic number. As it is now, a significant number of people pay nothing more than utility and sales taxes, and most of them use more in resources than they pay in taxes.

Unread 08-10-2010, 01:50 PM

11,519 posts, read 11,559,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
Did you miss the part wherein I mentioned reducing the income tax?

Oregon doesn't have a sales tax and the result is property owners get stuck paying a disproportionate amount of the taxes.
Which makes more economic sense than California's insane tax structure, with ultra-low property taxes combined with high corporate taxes, the highest sales taxes in the US, and, now, high income taxes.

I sense when real recovery on a national level starts, Oregon will recover long before California does. OR's suffering now but has IMO a bright future.

If CA jacked up its property taxes to the skies but eliminated its sales tax and reduced its income taxes, the state would be better off in the long run.

BTW I consider myself to be fiscally moderate.

Unread 08-10-2010, 01:57 PM

912 posts, read 1,417,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Drugs, welfare, unemployment, illegals and bad government not fixing the problems, sad for such a great state to be going down the tubes so fast and no hope in site.
Add government corruption to the mix and you could be talking about Illinois (well except for the great state part). I am in Chicago right now and I can't wait to get back to California. Even if it goes down the tube and brings me along with it, at least it will be with sunshine on my face and majestic views of some of the best natural beauty this country has to offer.

Unread 08-10-2010, 02:05 PM

912 posts, read 1,417,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
the highest sales taxes in the US
Chicago just went from 10.25% to 9.75%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California