U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 09:39 AM

26,362 posts, read 55,916,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
for the most part trader joe's only sells one brand for each item they carry (usually their own), maybe that has something to do with it.
But why would that allow them to sell their mild, bread, etc cheaper than a "plain wrap" brand at a supermarket? (Of course, this question is based on the assumption that TJ's prices are lower as reported by the original poster.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 10:08 AM

19,126 posts, read 15,149,719 times
I usually shop between a local grocery chain (Spencers or Cookie Crock) and Trader Joe's. Every once in a while I'll go to the 'big stores' to grab a few things, but it's always far more expensive and of lesser quality ingredients. Between the locals and TJs, plus my farmes market for veggies and fruits I have zero need to go to big brand grocery store and consider myself very lucky.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:30 AM

894 posts, read 1,353,878 times
I know someone on the east coast who got all excited maybe 10 years ago when Trader Joe's finally opened a store in or near NYC. The joke was on him, though: he made the trek and discovered that they weren't allowed to sell wine and liquor because of some obscure New York state law. With such restrictions still in place, I can understand why TJ's is reluctant to expand into some states. Who wants to shop at an emasculated version of Trader Joe's?

Old 11-16-2009, 11:44 AM

7,406 posts, read 11,996,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbclown View Post
All I have to say is that every Trader Joe's I went into in the Boston area (when I went to school there) was dirty and run-down. Sure, the stuff (including wine) was cheap, but I felt like I needed a shower once I left the door. Maybe there were some nicer ones in different areas but the way those stores were kept turning me off for good.
I shop at several TJ's in So Calif, and they couldn't be cleaner or neater. It's hard to imagine the management would allow a dirty store, expecially one that sells food, but having never been near Boston, I have no idea what you put up with.

Old 11-16-2009, 01:20 PM

3,161 posts, read 4,631,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbclown View Post
All I have to say is that every Trader Joe's I went into in the Boston area (when I went to school there) was dirty and run-down. Sure, the stuff (including wine) was cheap, but I felt like I needed a shower once I left the door. Maybe there were some nicer ones in different areas but the way those stores were kept turning me off for good.
Wow, A friend of mine that lives outside of Boston said the exact same thing-- produce was old, store was dirty, run down etc.

Really strange since it's a complete opposite at the stores here on the West Coast. I prefer to do most of my shopping at TJ's because of the prices, friendly staff, cleanliness etc. I've also noticed that they've started selling more "unwrapped" fruits/veg which used to drive me crazy.

Old 11-16-2009, 01:30 PM

4,805 posts, read 5,478,852 times
Oh how I miss Trader Joe's....you don't know what you've got until you're in Wyoming and the closest TJ's is in Santa Fe, New Mexico.....

(I miss IKEA too....)

Old 11-16-2009, 01:57 PM

8,127 posts, read 10,147,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post
I have been doing some price comparisons between Trader Joe's and Albertsons and Vons, Trader Joes's is less money for staples such as milk and eggs and beer and bread, and especially cheap wine, two buck chuck. On most items they are cheaper.

One would think that the big chain supermarkets with their buying volume would be cheaper, but they aren't.

Why is this?
Surprisingly Whole Foods (or 'Whole Paycheck' as I call it) is also less than "The Supermarkets" in the staples arena.

For example 1 gallon of "Clover" Whole Organic Milk is $3.50 here in Redwood City. While right across the street at Safeway's it is $6.00 for the "Horizons" gallon, $5.00 for the Safeway brand.

Where Whole Foods is expensive (by far), is in Produce and Poultry...but their stuff is near perfect.

Old 11-16-2009, 02:03 PM

3,402 posts, read 3,810,878 times
Fresh & Easy is also very good. I sure do hope they expand beyond CA, NV, and AZ.

Old 11-16-2009, 02:08 PM

19,236 posts, read 16,600,198 times
Here in the boonies of SW MO the closest TJs is in St. Louis which is about a four hour drive. There are four of them there but none elsewhere.

Needless to say, that doesn't make for weekly shopping!

Old 11-16-2009, 05:08 PM

50,058 posts, read 42,427,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Here in the boonies of SW MO the closest TJs is in St. Louis which is about a four hour drive. There are four of them there but none elsewhere.

Needless to say, that doesn't make for weekly shopping!
there is one in St Louis you don't want to visit...If you do, you will miss the ones in California so much. We went while in St Louis a year or so ago...

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California