U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-28-2009, 02:02 PM
 
Location: Virginia
1,591 posts, read 3,336,763 times
Reputation: 1260

Advertisements

I was just wondering if anyone who's been to Yosemite would mind posting their experience here. I'm looking into going sometime soon and I'm having a hard time finding some actual reviews of the place. I'm thinking of staying at the Yosemite Lodge at the Falls resort/camp site, so if you've been there I'd appreciate some input. My main interest is for hiking/camping and generally relaxing. You know, the whole "get away from it all" deal. Thanks everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-28-2009, 02:53 PM
 
Location: Central Coast
2,014 posts, read 3,461,896 times
Reputation: 759
Yosemite lodge is a hotel, not a campsite, Camp 6 across the way is a walk in campground, full of rock climbers and Euros.

The housekeeping tent cabins are cheaper than the hotel, if budget is not a problem the Awahnee is great, at least walk in and around it and have a drink at the bar with the raccoons.

Hiking? Don't know how fit you are, but, start with the walk to Vernal Falls, take the mist trail, if you are still game, head for the top of Nevada Falls, it is a medium easy round trip.

If you are tough enough, hike to the top of Yosemite Falls. or Glacier Point.

If you are pretty casual, the valley bottom trails are still spectacular, hike to Mirror Lake.

Drive to Glacier Point and look off into the hills. Plan a back pack trip or a tour of the High Sierra Camps.

If the road is open, visit Tenaya Lake and Tuolumne Meadows. and of course the Redwoods.

Need more info, just ask.

For me, Yosemite is the center of the Universe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2009, 03:18 PM
 
Location: Virginia
1,591 posts, read 3,336,763 times
Reputation: 1260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post
Yosemite lodge is a hotel, not a campsite, Camp 6 across the way is a walk in campground, full of rock climbers and Euros.

The housekeeping tent cabins are cheaper than the hotel, if budget is not a problem the Awahnee is great, at least walk in and around it and have a drink at the bar with the raccoons.

Hiking? Don't know how fit you are, but, start with the walk to Vernal Falls, take the mist trail, if you are still game, head for the top of Nevada Falls, it is a medium easy round trip.

If you are tough enough, hike to the top of Yosemite Falls. or Glacier Point.

If you are pretty casual, the valley bottom trails are still spectacular, hike to Mirror Lake.

Drive to Glacier Point and look off into the hills. Plan a back pack trip or a tour of the High Sierra Camps.

If the road is open, visit Tenaya Lake and Tuolumne Meadows. and of course the Redwoods.

Need more info, just ask.

For me, Yosemite is the center of the Universe
Thanks! All of that sounds awesome. As far as hiking, I'm not looking to climb the face of Half Dome or anything, but really I'd like to be able to find some trails leading to some of the many beautiful places Yosemite has to offer. Nothing to do difficult (I'm not an expert or anything), but a little challenge is always fun. Easy to Moderate Day-Hikes are what I'm looking for, and if the journey includes stopping off at some picturesque lake or waterall, even better.

I've been looking at pictures all day, and Mirror Lake is definitely on the list of things to see. I'll have to check out the other places you mentioned. All of it seems so gorgeous though, truly breathtaking even in pictures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2009, 03:29 PM
 
Location: Monterey County, CA
3,717 posts, read 7,087,753 times
Reputation: 3221
Yosemite is a beautiful destination year round. That said I prefer Fall, Winter and Spring over Summer. Because of its beauty it gets incredibly crouded during the summer months. So most ppl who visit a lot avoid the summer crouds and go these other times. I am actually going in two days to enjoy Fall Colors. Fall is beautiful in the valley. Here is just one recent example: Yosemite in the Fall

Winter is gorgeous and uncrouded in the park. Here is one from last Winter I took:





Then during the late Spring before school lets out the waterfalls are in full force and its really fun for hiking (Neveda Falls from the John Muir trail):




I have stayed in the park and just outside the park in El Portal. It really depends on your budget, if you mind a 'little' driving or if you will be camping instead. We like Yosemite View Lodge in El Portal and it is only ~ 6 miles to the Valley floor which is an easy drive.

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2009, 04:01 PM
 
Location: Oregon
1,229 posts, read 3,437,184 times
Reputation: 1092
Enjoy yourself.

Autumn is my favorite season. I should be in the coast redwoods next week. Am thinking about Eagle Creek within a month too, in the Columbia River Gorge.

When you get back, post another thread for us with your latest images.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Yosemite is a beautiful destination year round. That said I prefer Fall, Winter and Spring over Summer. Because of its beauty it gets incredibly crouded during the summer months. So most ppl who visit a lot avoid the summer crouds and go these other times. I am actually going in two days to enjoy Fall Colors. Fall is beautiful in the valley. Here is just one recent example: Yosemite in the Fall

Winter is gorgeous and uncrouded in the park. Here is one from last Winter I took:





Then during the late Spring before school lets out the waterfalls are in full force and its really fun for hiking (Neveda Falls from the John Muir trail):




I have stayed in the park and just outside the park in El Portal. It really depends on your budget, if you mind a 'little' driving or if you will be camping instead. We like Yosemite View Lodge in El Portal and it is only ~ 6 miles to the Valley floor which is an easy drive.

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2009, 04:46 PM
 
Location: Escondido, CA
1,504 posts, read 3,714,545 times
Reputation: 816
Bring warm clothes and a cold weather rated camping tent. Snowstorms are increasingly likely, starting late October ... early November.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2009, 06:28 PM
 
Location: Columbia, California
6,541 posts, read 15,139,988 times
Reputation: 4629
Smile Bring a great camera!

Bring a lot of film or memory cards, you will be pleased later with the pics you can take. I learned a great trick years ago. Look at the pics at a gift center, you can get a idea of where to visit in the park. I was lucky to live in the Yosemite valley for a few years, every single day has the best sunrises and sunsets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2009, 08:58 PM
 
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
2,903 posts, read 8,073,688 times
Reputation: 1687
Quote:
Originally Posted by xGrendelx View Post
I was just wondering if anyone who's been to Yosemite would mind posting their experience here. I'm looking into going sometime soon and I'm having a hard time finding some actual reviews of the place. I'm thinking of staying at the Yosemite Lodge at the Falls resort/camp site, so if you've been there I'd appreciate some input. My main interest is for hiking/camping and generally relaxing. You know, the whole "get away from it all" deal. Thanks everyone.
If you've got the $$$, stay at the Ahwahnnee Hotel !!! Truly.
If not, i like Curry Village.
There are a variety of options for your stay, it's relatively inexpensive and the location is great.
I wouldn't stay there when it's high, high season as it gets a bit crazy but if you're going soon, it won't be overrun with numbskulls.

Yosemite National Park Hotels | Yosemite National Park Lodging - National Park Reservations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2009, 09:31 PM
 
Location: Virginia
1,591 posts, read 3,336,763 times
Reputation: 1260
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
If you've got the $$$, stay at the Ahwahnnee Hotel !!! Truly.
If not, i like Curry Village.
There are a variety of options for your stay, it's relatively inexpensive and the location is great.
I wouldn't stay there when it's high, high season as it gets a bit crazy but if you're going soon, it won't be overrun with numbskulls.

Yosemite National Park Hotels | Yosemite National Park Lodging - National Park Reservations
Yeah, I think the Ahwahnee Hotel is a little expensive for us, haha. The Yosemite Lodge at the Falls is more in our price range, but we're still gonna look into some other options. Thanks everyone for the tips and info. Has anyone had experience with Yosemite in the late Winter/early Spring? I think we're gonna end up being there in March sometime. It won't be too packed or anything, will it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2009, 09:41 PM
 
Location: Central Coast
2,014 posts, read 3,461,896 times
Reputation: 759
March, if the melt comes early can be earth shatteringly spectacular, when the streams rise and the water falls shake the ground, but March is usually early for that. I used to spend Spring Break climbing in the valley, March can be beautiful, or rainy snowy, but, remember, it is Yosemite, rain, snow, sleet sun, it is one of the most beautiful places on the planet. Yosemite is miserable in the summer, packed with yahoos and hot. The rest of the year is much more peaceful, and more beautiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top