Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 07:16 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,406,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
C'mon guys. Get serious. The State is doing this....because they can.

If up and leaving was as simple as typing a message on a forum, you'd have already done it. But the fact is you all have ties to your homes, jobs, families, friends, sense of familiarity, and so forth. You aren't going anywhere and you know it. You're going to do what you/me/us have always done: complain, moan, and whine about it. Then once it's off your chest, you're going to shut up, pay up, and go right back to business as usual and saturate yourself with "American Idol" and do your little shopping trips to Trader Joes and Wal-Mart. Yet at the same time point the finger at the next person and continue to re-elect your favorite incumbent simply because "it's the other districts. NEVER mine or the one *I* voted for".

And for every one of the very small handful of you that actually DO leave, there's ten more ready to take your place. Heads the State wins, tails the People lose. Either way, they win. And they know it. Likewise they also know that the population as a whole places much greater stock on 'life' issues such as weather, scenery, diversity for the sake of diversity, folks who think that having DMV forms available in 63 different languages is the coolest thing since electricity, variety of fish tacos, and the knowledge that the Trump card in an election will ALWAYS be the candidate that meets the preferred race/gender/party affiliations. And not who better represents our needs.

You think they don't know any of this?

You guys want to see some real change? Point the finger at yourself and vote for the opposing candidate. And realize that sometimes there ARE things more important in life than 42 fish taco stands and a Mongolian Art and Culture center within a 3 minute walking radius.

Welcome to California. Pay up. If you wish to live here, you're going to have to pay your dues. At least if you are happy with Status Quo anyway.
Great rant!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 07:24 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,331,765 times
Rant or not, I am adamant in my belief that there's a whole lot more truth in there than anyone has the humbleness to ever admit.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:51 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,406,723 times
Quote:
Rant or not, I am adamant in my belief that there's a whole lot more truth in there than anyone has the humbleness to ever admit.
I concur with all you had to say!

Old 11-06-2009, 08:10 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times
I got my paycheck direct deposited today.. my withholding increased by a whopping 73 cents. I don't think I'll be able to pay my rent anymore, time to call Extended Stay America..

Old 11-07-2009, 02:36 AM

2,536 posts, read 2,734,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy View Post
Your opinion has no impact on my life.

Well I would hope not.......but the truth does hurt

Old 11-07-2009, 03:54 PM

739 posts, read 1,847,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
If Prop 13 is overturned you will see an Exodus of homeowners that will rival the Biblical one!
Not if it's done right. Retirees within a certain income level should keep their Prop 13 benefits.

I love and miss SoCal but feel Californians shoot themselves in the foot at times. Like, when the initiative to raise taxes was on the ballot for highway infrastructure. The work needed to be done and the question was how to raise the funds. The tax increase was, predictably, voted against. So the state went ahead and doubled registration fees.

State and local taxes can be deducted against federal income tax. Fees cannot. Instead of having an extra deduction and maybe saving a few bucks, now Californians have a plain, old, non-deductible fee increase.

Old 11-07-2009, 05:31 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk View Post
Not if it's done right. Retirees within a certain income level should keep their Prop 13 benefits.

I love and miss SoCal but feel Californians shoot themselves in the foot at times. Like, when the initiative to raise taxes was on the ballot for highway infrastructure. The work needed to be done and the question was how to raise the funds. The tax increase was, predictably, voted against. So the state went ahead and doubled registration fees.

State and local taxes can be deducted against federal income tax. Fees cannot. Instead of having an extra deduction and maybe saving a few bucks, now Californians have a plain, old, non-deductible fee increase.
I think for many it was a question of money intended and raised via fuel taxes not being spent on Highways...

Doesn't the California Constitution prohibit "Split" tax rolls?

I've said it many times... Prop 13 only came about because the Legislature failed to index the Home Owner exemption for inflation and was more than happy to turn the problem over to voters...

Old 11-08-2009, 08:23 AM

2,638 posts, read 6,018,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
I got my paycheck direct deposited today.. my withholding increased by a whopping 73 cents. I don't think I'll be able to pay my rent anymore, time to call Extended Stay America..
Your increase is likely not typical.

I've heard some say "just bump up the exemptions!!" There are issues with that approach.

1: If you're not legally eligible to take those exemptions and you take them, you open up the doors for an audit which would end up more costly for you in the long run.

2: If you're single, no dependents, you're not taking exemptions besides yourself. Period.

3: It's a stopgap measure at best.

IT's a compulsory interest-free loan, is basically what it amounts to. The bigger issue is, what if the budget is not reconciled properly by tax time? There's nothing to prevent the government from extending this out. They're still issuing IOUs instead of tax payments. They're still in the gutter, so why should they be allowed to take the money when they can't pay it back?

More reason for tax reform on a state AND federal level.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:07 AM

1,549 posts, read 4,255,853 times
Quote:
C'mon guys. Get serious. The State is doing this....because they can.

If up and leaving was as simple as typing a message on a forum, you'd have already done it. But the fact is you all have ties to your homes, jobs, families, friends, sense of familiarity, and so forth. You aren't going anywhere and you know it. You're going to do what you/me/us have always done: complain, moan, and whine about it. Then once it's off your chest, you're going to shut up, pay up, and go right back to business as usual and saturate yourself with "American Idol" and do your little shopping trips to Trader Joes and Wal-Mart. Yet at the same time point the finger at the next person and continue to re-elect your favorite incumbent simply because "it's the other districts. NEVER mine or the one *I* voted for".

And for every one of the very small handful of you that actually DO leave, there's ten more ready to take your place. Heads the State wins, tails the People lose. Either way, they win. And they know it. Likewise they also know that the population as a whole places much greater stock on 'life' issues such as weather, scenery, diversity for the sake of diversity, folks who think that having DMV forms available in 63 different languages is the coolest thing since electricity, variety of fish tacos, and the knowledge that the Trump card in an election will ALWAYS be the candidate that meets the preferred race/gender/party affiliations. And not who better represents our needs.

You think they don't know any of this?

You guys want to see some real change? Point the finger at yourself and vote for the opposing candidate. And realize that sometimes there ARE things more important in life than 42 fish taco stands and a Mongolian Art and Culture center within a 3 minute walking radius.

Welcome to California. Pay up. If you wish to live here, you're going to have to pay your dues. At least if you are happy with Status Quo anyway.

I agree! We'll suck it up just like we did the 1% tax increase in April and now this one! We'll all stay here and keep surviving like we have been! Personally, I can't imagine living anywhere else and I'm not a native!!!

Old 11-08-2009, 12:01 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKLO View Post
I agree! We'll suck it up just like we did the 1% tax increase in April and now this one! We'll all stay here and keep surviving like we have been! Personally, I can't imagine living anywhere else and I'm not a native!!!
No doubt true for many... but not all.

Lost a number of friends and co-workers... I can't remember so many people pulling up stakes at retirement and leaving the State...

Twenty Years ago... many left the Bay Area for Grass Valley and other places in the Gold Rush area... now they are leaving the State
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California