Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 02:10 PM

97 posts, read 266,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post
When you move out here, be careful of dementia, apparently it is not uncommon.
Wow, that comment was totally out of line. This must be some of the legendary sensitivity and compassion I've heard all about. Making fun of someone using a serious illness is not only insensitive, it is repugnant in this day and age. It's really no different than someone someone using other bigoted comments based on disability, race, weight, etc, but perhaps you feel making fun of the mentally ill is ok because they can't really fight back?

Pray that you never fall victim to such a debillitating illness, certainly using it to make cheap shots at someone you disagree with based on your previous posts is really the height of hypocracy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 02:24 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,288,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calix View Post
My opinion, if you desire grounded communities, stay away from far left leaning enclaves, as they tend to be the MOST exclusionary, and snobbish. I could write a tome about the clever tactics used by leftists with lucre who cloak their bigotry and snobbery in all sorts of seemingly noble ways, with the "green movement" being the most recent. (hint: the goal is simply economic apartheid through land exclusion to keep out "undesirables" or ensuring that you have the "right kind of diversity" (read, San Francisco, white, Asian, and gay) all in the precious name of "saving the Earth".

So if you want real people, just watch out for over the top political activism.

Good luck to you.
Where are you talking about exactly? Because the snobbish well to do area's of the San Francisco Bay Area tend to be right leaning and full of republican snobs in their huge houses and big Range Rovers for their 1 kid. I'm talking about Dublin, Pleasanton, Danville, etc. Being a prick has no political bounds.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:11 PM

40 posts, read 114,487 times
Marin! Its expensive, but full of hardworking people and very "nice things", and lots of great shops, unique and hip restaurants, etc. The guy next door will probably be the CEO of some huge company who rocks flip flops and and a grunge t-shirt on the week ends, and patagonia shirts when he's going out for dinner, or the author who wrote the novel they just made into a movie last month, or George Lucas. Its close to a number of beaches, and 15 minutes from the Golden Gate bridge. There is hiking and mountain biking right out of your front door in most places, as Mt. Tam towers over the southern towns. You could certainly find a one or two bedroom apartment for $2000 or under of decent quality. Its quiet and somewhat sleepy, but there isn't good public transit into SF unless you're a work commuter. It has a substantial artist community, and the general population is friendly and personable (I work for a government agency and deal with professionals as well as the general public on a daily basis). Weather is lovely, warm days and cool nights, rain from Dec-Feb (ish).

The only thing? traffic. Good luck! P.S. - Good for you for being honest about what you want. I totally get it. Quality of life is contagious, and successful people are not always Republican pricks.

Last edited by sfchick; 11-02-2009 at 08:29 PM..

Old 11-02-2009, 08:25 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,722,788 times
I guess it depends on how one defines "quality of life" and "successful".
And yes, there are other kinds of pricks ... they're not all republicans and not all republicans are pricks, needless to say.

Old 11-07-2009, 12:23 AM

11 posts, read 35,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzo View Post
Del Mar
Del Mar are you serious talk about snobbish YUCK!

Old 11-07-2009, 10:13 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,985,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonepra View Post
Make a very long story a short one..

I'm originally from the mid west and lived in different places in the states, I recently moved from living in HI for 3 years and it was a great time in my life.. but now I'm ready for something different, a bit faster yet still not fast lane, know what I mean?

I am currently in limbo on the mainland, simply trying to figure out where I want to live for awhile in CA. Why? well I like the west coast and Arizona is nice but just not my thing, I need to be by the coast/ocean. Everyone is running from CA but I'm ready to give it a shot.

I work from home, I can live anywhere I want.. at least in the states for now. Monthly rent isn't a huge concern, generally $1500-$2000 a month is what I like to budget.

The reason for this post to try to get some good ideas of a spot to start off. The type of life I'm looking for? not too stressful, lower traffic, yet still some things to do. I'm more interested in non-mainstream arts/music, a nice cultural center would be nice to enjoy.

I really want nothing to do with the LA or surrounding areas, unless they are on the edge. I'm really up to any part of CA, I'd prefer a nicer climate of San Diego(I would not want to live IN the city, but surrounding area), but I still think the climate in areas like Santa Barbara & up alittle would be nice.

I do have a bad habit, and that I like nice things. While I like a slower pace of life, I like to be surrounded around expensive things..and generally want to be surrounded by people who want be VERY successful in life financially but yet still grounded/down to earth. I guess that would be my paradise on paper.. maybe it yours too?

so think for a moment that you have no clutter, un-needed processions, or mortgage. Where would would you pick, and maybe a short reason why

Many Thanks
It sounds like North Berkeley/Albany/nicer parts of Oakland might be your thing. Plenty of money.., but you wouldn't really know it..lots of financially successful types but not in the snobby, gated community kind of way. Also, more family oriented, slower paced, more remote in feel would be Orinda and Lafayette. Seems like all the successful UCBerkeley alumni move here.

The weather is fantastic and there's plenty of cultural, shopping and definitely a good non- mainstream music scene in these parts. High end shops galore in San Francisco or even nearby Walnut Creek.

The only downside would be the traffic..which I'm not sure can be avoided in most cities around here, but if you're working from home it might not impact you so much outside of commute hours.

I'm already lucky to be living in my dream place..one of the places I mentioned.

Someone also mentioned Marin ..that would be a great choice too!

Old 11-07-2009, 10:33 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,069,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBrianO View Post
Del Mar are you serious talk about snobbish YUCK!
So your saying it's not a good place for a Buddhist?

Old 11-07-2009, 10:50 AM

2,901 posts, read 12,722,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzo View Post
So your saying it's not a good place for a Buddhist?
A "good" Buddhist can live anywhere.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:52 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,519,970 times
Quote:
Wow, that comment was totally out of line. This must be some of the legendary sensitivity and compassion I've heard all about. Making fun of someone using a serious illness is not only insensitive, it is repugnant in this day and age. It's really no different than someone someone using other bigoted comments based on disability, race, weight, etc, but perhaps you feel making fun of the mentally ill is ok because they can't really fight back?

Pray that you never fall victim to such a debillitating illness, certainly using it to make cheap shots at someone you disagree with based on your previous posts is really the height of hypocracy.
What, you think the following was posted by a normal rational person? I merely suggested a cause.

Quote:
My opinion, if you desire grounded communities, stay away from far left leaning enclaves, as they tend to be the MOST exclusionary, and snobbish. I could write a tome about the clever tactics used by leftists with lucre who cloak their bigotry and snobbery in all sorts of seemingly noble ways, with the "green movement" being the most recent. (hint: the goal is simply economic apartheid through land exclusion to keep out "undesirables" or ensuring that you have the "right kind of diversity" (read, San Francisco, white, Asian, and gay) all in the precious name of "saving the Earth".

Last edited by Clarks; 11-07-2009 at 11:03 AM..

Old 11-07-2009, 10:57 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
IF we could afford it and IF we were disposed to return to California it would be Monterey and environs. But we can't, we're not and most of all, we're perfectly happy where we are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California