Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2007, 01:42 PM

6 posts, read 26,823 times

Advertisements

Hi All! I'm considering the Mariposa area. Just LOVE the space up there with the varied vegetation and that tall pines mixed with oaks. Heavenly!

Previously, I was considering Colorado Springs, Colorado, but was spooked by the water supply issues. I know California has drought concerns, and have heard about the Oakhurst uranium/water issue, but do you know if the Mariposa area has water rights/supply issues that might make water so scarce in the next few generations or sooner, like what's happening in CS?

Any other general information you could supply about living in that area would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 06:23 PM

1 posts, read 5,418 times
Most of the residential water in Mariposa County is well water, and if you live in Mariposa town or developments like Lake Don Pedro, you have water districts. There are some properties with natural springs. Water quality varies, depending on your individual site. If you are living on a large ranch water easements may be an issue.

We lived in Mariposa county from 2000 to 2004. Our first drink of well water on our property is one of my fondest memories. My husband is a free-lance writer and only needed a decent internet connection, but his market dried up in 2002. I had a great job with the county, but it was'nt made permanent. so we had to sell our home in 2004 and move. I wish we could afford to move back.

Since then, housing costs have increased, mainly due to the growth of the new UC Merced campus, but the economy still relies on tourism. Decent local jobs are scarce. Mariposa hasn't had explosive growth like Oakhurst or Auburn, for example. Local shop owners try to earn all their income in the spring/summer so they won't starve in the winter. Plus there are folks who do weekly commutes to the Bay Area, or at least long daily commutes to Fresno.

Good Luck. It's a great place if your family can afford the rural lifestyle.

Old 06-24-2007, 09:48 PM

3 posts, read 15,381 times
Hi,
We are thinking of retiring to Mariposa in a few years and are planning an investigational trip there in a month or so. We will be traveling with our two dogs in our motorhome. The fairgrounds has an RV area so that is where we will stay, but I need info on dog friendly restaurants, off-leash parks and other entertainment possibilities that allow dogs.

Thanks

Old 05-28-2009, 03:34 PM

194 posts, read 565,458 times
What are the winters like in Mariposa? how deep to hit a well in that area?

Old 05-28-2009, 04:40 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,302,067 times
I think you will find that most Sierra Foothill communities wells average about 400 feet as the geology is about the same. You'll have to go deeper below 1000' elevation and less as you reach 4000'.

My well is 380' deep, but the pump is about 150' down and the water level is at about 75'. I know of one guy who had a 500' well that only produced 1 GPM so he drilled another well 100 feet away and went 250' down and got 80 GPM.

Current cost to drill a well around here is about $17/foot

Old 08-21-2010, 07:20 PM

2 posts, read 8,391 times
My husband and I were driving thru the other day, and we were thinking about coming back for a weekend stay. Any suggestions on Hotels?
Also any suggestions on what kind of services are needed in Mariposa? We are considering moving in that direction and possibly opening a business.

Old 08-21-2010, 11:38 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,236,138 times
I always wonder, where do people that live in Mariposa work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California