Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 09:06 AM

41 posts, read 212,783 times

Advertisements

The latest from the OC Register:
The first unemployment extension checks should begin going out the second week of December, reports the California Employment Development Department.
Congress approved on Nov.8 at least 14 weeks of additional unemployment for those in California who have exhausted their 79 weeks of benefits, but EDD's antiquated computers weren't up to immediately sending out the checks.
EDD spokeswoman Loree Levy says the computer reprogramming is now almost completed. The department began sending out letters on Monday, Nov. 23, to an estimated 100,000 who have run out of benefits, advising them they may be eligible for the extension and to "stay tuned" for further information.
Because some of these people have been off the unemployment rolls for nearly two months and may have worked in between, they may be required to fill out a new claim, Levy said. The EDD will let everyone know what, if any, additional paperwork is needed. Because of the additional verification, extension checks for those who already have exhausted benefits may be delayed beyond the second week of December, she said.
Those who have fallen off the unemployment rolls in the last couple of weeks may only have to resubmit a new claim. EDD will advise them of what is required to get the extension, Levy said.
In both cases, Levy said the EDD will contact people directly about what they need to do to get the extension.
Unemployment claims will be dated back to Nov. 8, when the new extension was approved. There will be no retroactive payments before that. Levy didn't know if the unemployed would get one check covering the weeks back to Nov. 8 or if there would be a series of checks.
Those who have exhausted their benefits face one additional hurdle. Although the unemployment extension theoretically provided 20 weeks of extended benefits to California and other high-unemployment states, a sunset provision in the February economic stimulus bills limits that to a maximum of 14 weeks.
Unless the sunset provision, which ends in December, is extended by Congress, the unemployed in California will lose out on that additional six weeks of benefits.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:35 AM

1,634 posts, read 6,718,027 times
I have one more check coming for my 3rd extension. I haven't heard from the state yet. I'm getting a little nervous. San Luis Obispo Co., CA is absolutely HORRIBLE is your looking for work.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:44 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screw Sacramento View Post
Honestly? When enough people leave because they're fed up enough and the "pool" of candidates to tax becomes slim, then they might notice. Then again, maybe not.
That's actually been happening for a while already. I guess it's not bad enough yet. Maybe CA will have to become Michigan before it wakes up.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:50 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Yes it does - when is everyone going to work out that this is not sustainable? You are looking at temporary band-aids for a wound that is hemorrhaging.
Unfortunately, the answer appears to be when there is a complete economic collapse, and not before then.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:53 PM

41 posts, read 139,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by machoenergy View Post
The latest from the OC Register:
The first unemployment extension checks should begin going out the second week of December, reports the California Employment Development Department.
Congress approved on Nov.8 at least 14 weeks of additional unemployment for those in California who have exhausted their 79 weeks of benefits, but EDD's antiquated computers weren't up to immediately sending out the checks.
EDD spokeswoman Loree Levy says the computer reprogramming is now almost completed. The department began sending out letters on Monday, Nov. 23, to an estimated 100,000 who have run out of benefits, advising them they may be eligible for the extension and to "stay tuned" for further information.
Because some of these people have been off the unemployment rolls for nearly two months and may have worked in between, they may be required to fill out a new claim, Levy said. The EDD will let everyone know what, if any, additional paperwork is needed. Because of the additional verification, extension checks for those who already have exhausted benefits may be delayed beyond the second week of December, she said.
Those who have fallen off the unemployment rolls in the last couple of weeks may only have to resubmit a new claim. EDD will advise them of what is required to get the extension, Levy said.
In both cases, Levy said the EDD will contact people directly about what they need to do to get the extension.
Unemployment claims will be dated back to Nov. 8, when the new extension was approved. There will be no retroactive payments before that. Levy didn't know if the unemployed would get one check covering the weeks back to Nov. 8 or if there would be a series of checks.
Those who have exhausted their benefits face one additional hurdle. Although the unemployment extension theoretically provided 20 weeks of extended benefits to California and other high-unemployment states, a sunset provision in the February economic stimulus bills limits that to a maximum of 14 weeks.
Unless the sunset provision, which ends in December, is extended by Congress, the unemployed in California will lose out on that additional six weeks of benefits.
Thanks for the update machoenergy.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:42 AM

41 posts, read 212,783 times
Your welcome Jakks. I did get my letter from Ca EDD stating I am potentially eligible. I ran out of my last extension in September. Been living off of savings and retirement at this point. No job prospects in site and I'm a CPA. You would think I could at least find tax work for the upcoming season. I do get some of work via word of mouth from my network of friends, but this job market is ridiculous. Almost impossible to get a face to face interview. I wish everyone on this board the best of luck.

Old 12-03-2009, 06:32 PM

17 posts, read 64,765 times
CA claim forms were suppose to be mailed out this week (for the 4th extension), has anyone received theirs?

Old 12-03-2009, 08:32 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,718,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbsmom View Post
CA claim forms were suppose to be mailed out this week (for the 4th extension), has anyone received theirs?
no, I'm waiting. Well, I'm due to receive my last check soon. I'm just anticipating some information to put me at ease.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:52 AM

all I have received was the "your potentially eligible" which made me feel a little better but am still very worried about if I will receive it or not. What would make me feel SO much better is a claim form in my hand!

Old 12-04-2009, 08:05 AM

Looks like it is going to take even LONGER....this just updated from the EDD website:

New Federal Unemployment Insurance Extensions
(Updated December 3, 2009)The Employment Development Department (EDD) has completed most of the complex programming required to be able to file and pay the new extension of Unemployment Insurance (UI) benefits enacted by the federal government on November 8, 2009. Testing is now required to ensure the new changes adopted into the 25-30 year old programs will not negatively affect our ability to process and pay benefits on other claims.

If that testing goes well, our goal is to be able to start processing the new federal extension claims and sending out notices and claim forms to potentially eligible unemployed workers in the next one to two weeks. The following week we plan to have the programming completed on necessary changes in our payment system so that checks can be issued, assuming again that all goes well in testing.

Those potentially eligible to receive the new extensions with up to 14 more weeks of UI benefits available for now include those who have exhausted all available unemployment benefits. As of November 28, EDD estimates 111,000 people in California have run out of benefits and that number is growing every day. Those potentially eligible for the new benefits also include those who will run out of their second extension benefits by mid-December, and those who run out of their current FED ED benefits between now and early 2010.

The first eligible week for the new benefits is the week starting Sunday, November 8, 2009. Because the new extensions are not retroactive, they do not apply to any weeks of unemployment prior to the enactment date of November 8. But the Department will file the new extended benefit claims effective November 8, 2009, for those who are eligible.

All potentially eligible unemployed workers will be sent notices as soon as the new programming is up and running. Those who exhausted all of their available benefits before November 8 will most likely be advised to submit a new application for the extension benefits. Because so much time elapsed between when these claimants ran out of their benefits and when the federal government enacted the new extensions, EDD has to collect updated claimant and employment-related information to file these claims. For those unemployed workers who ran out of their benefits after November 8, EDD should be able to automatically file their new extension claims and send them claim forms to be completed and returned.

Benefit checks covering all eligible weeks since November 8 should be sent around the same time as long as claimants quickly and accurately complete and return all pertinent claim forms sent to them, and those forms verify eligibility.

EDD has received many inquiries from anxious claimants. We are updating our online information on a continual basis so you have the very latest information available. There is no need to contact EDD at this time. We encourage you to stay informed on developments by monitoring our Web site and following EDD on Twitter. You will also find helpful revised information about the federal extension program in our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) section of our Web site
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California