U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 12:43 PM

17 posts, read 53,631 times
From the EDD website as of yesterday:

The Employment Development Department (EDD) has completed most of the complex programming required to file and pay the new extension of Unemployment Insurance (UI) benefits enacted by the federal government on November 8, 2009. Testing is underway to ensure the new changes adopted into the 25-30 year old programs will not negatively affect our ability to process and pay benefits on other claims.
To date, that testing is on track and we expect to start processing the new federal extension claims and sending out notices and claim forms to potentially eligible unemployed workers the week of December 14. We anticipate issuing the first two-week checks soon after. We will send and receive claim forms in sequential order to avoid interruptions in payments. Checks will arrive in two-week increments for all eligible weeks of unemployment dating back to November 8, 2009, as long as claimants quickly and accurately complete and return all pertinent claim forms sent to them and the responses on those forms verify eligibility.
All potentially eligible unemployed workers whose claims ran out after November 8, 2009, will be sent notices along with their first two-week continued claim form as soon as the new programming is up and running.
Approximately 94,000 claimants exhausted their available benefits between September 1, 2009 and November 1, 2009. Because of the time that elapsed since these claimants ran out of benefits and when the federal government enacted the new extensions, EDD needs to collect updated claimant and employment-related information to file these claims. These claimants should immediately submit a new application for the extension benefits online. The application for extensions is the same application used to file for regular unemployment insurance benefits.
Those potentially eligible to receive the new extensions with up to 14 more weeks of UI benefits available include those who have exhausted all available unemployment benefits. As of December 9, 2009, EDD estimates 121,000 people in California will have run out of benefits. Those potentially eligible for the new benefits also include those who will run out of their second extension benefits by mid-December, and those who run out of their current FED ED benefits between now and early 2010.
The first eligible week for the new benefits is the week starting Sunday, November 8, 2009. Because the new extensions are not retroactive, they do not apply to any weeks of unemployment prior to the enactment date of November 8, 2009. The Department will file the new extended benefit claims effective November 8, 2009, for those who are eligible.
EDD has received many inquiries from anxious claimants. We are updating our online information on a continual basis so you have the very latest information available. We encourage you to stay informed on developments by monitoring our Web site and following EDD on Twitter. You will also find helpful revised information about the federal extension program in our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) section of our Web site.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:04 PM

1,634 posts, read 4,195,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by machoenergy View Post
Your welcome Jakks. I did get my letter from Ca EDD stating I am potentially eligible. I ran out of my last extension in September. Been living off of savings and retirement at this point. No job prospects in site and I'm a CPA. You would think I could at least find tax work for the upcoming season. I do get some of work via word of mouth from my network of friends, but this job market is ridiculous. Almost impossible to get a face to face interview. I wish everyone on this board the best of luck.
The Top 5 Hardest Jobs to Fill in America (http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/career-articles-the_top_5_hardest_jobs_to_fill_in_america-1057 - broken link)
3rd hardest job to fill? I wonder where the jobs are, sure wish you luck.

Old 12-14-2009, 04:32 PM

December 14, 2009 EDD Update:

New Federal Unemployment Insurance Extensions
(Updated December 14, 2009)

en Español
Good news for those who have exhausted all available extended unemployment benefits as of December 5, 2009.
EDD was able to complete necessary testing and automatically file the new federal extension claims on Sunday night for potentially eligible claimants who have already run out of benefits. Notifications alerting approximately 115,000 people of their filing status and claim forms to verify eligibility are being sent in the mail today, Monday, December 14, 2009. With this automatic filing of extension claims, claimants who previously had been advised to file for the extension, will no longer need to submit a new application online.
In addition, EDD has been able to expedite the payment process in the extraordinary case of this new extension. That should enable the department to issue and mail the first two-week checks for those eligible claimants by the end of the day on Tuesday, December 15. This is being done as a one-time event due to the severe nature of the recession, the extenuating circumstances surrounding the complex programming of the Department’s outdated computer systems, and the difficulties faced by many long-term unemployed workers who went without benefits for several weeks until Congress approved the new extension program. The work-around process developed in our system is for the first two-week checks only.
Once eligible claimants receive their first check, the next two-week claim form will be attached. Claimants are encouraged to quickly and accurately complete the form and mail it back right away to EDD for additional weeks of eligibility that have already passed. Eligible claimants who immediately return claim forms for past weeks will receive claim forms and checks until they are caught up with all eligible weeks under the new federal extension. The first payable week under the new federal extension program is the week beginning November 8, 2009.
It’s important to remember that someone has to fully exhaust all benefits currently available to them before they can qualify for the new third tier of benefits approved by the federal government in November. It’s estimated that approximately 164,000 Californians will become eligible for the new extension upon running out of their current benefits between now and December 27, which is the current federal deadline for filing for any new extension of unemployment benefits.
Congress is currently considering legislation to extend the filing deadline of the existing emergency extended benefit programs. Please watch this Web site for further developments on the filing deadline and other UI-related issues. You can also sign up for our Twitter messages so you are alerted as soon as any new posting occurs.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:36 AM

8 posts, read 16,507 times
Talking claimants who previously had been advised to file for the extension, will no longer need to submit a new application

"claimants who previously had been advised to file for the extension, will no longer need to submit a new application online."

New Federal Unemployment Insurance Extensions

P.S. Now's a good time to help each other hungry or homeless.

Last edited by johnwwwatson; 12-15-2009 at 02:00 AM.. Reason: kindness

Old 12-15-2009, 01:12 PM

111 posts, read 330,904 times
Thanks for that update tbsmom !

Good news (perhaps) only know when we have a check in hand, but it looks like EDD is trying to get us some funds. Bypassing the "computer" and paperwork problems. There was some info recently in press about how the "pressure" from lawmakers got EDD to step up the process, they were intending to "maybe" get checks out in JANUARY before the heat got turned up a bit. Hope to see my first check since AUG this week! gasp!

Article here about the pressure that has been on EDD to get the checks out
California speeds jobless checks despite glitch (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2009/12/12/state/n152859S48.DTL - broken link)
Sounds like the House is looking at the issues of jobless benefits before years end

Congress rushes to finish work for year (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2009/12/15/national/w101244S15.DTL - broken link)

Has anybody heard anything about them fixing the law so that the full 20 weeks will be available for those who ran out instead of only 14 weeks avail? sure hope they fix this.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:10 PM

4 posts, read 13,696 times
You're not going to see anything until you see a continuing claims form and mail it back to EDD.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:16 PM

41 posts, read 113,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maurice 11 View Post
You're not going to see anything until you see a continuing claims form and mail it back to EDD.
Got mine today, already mailed it back.

Old 12-15-2009, 05:43 PM

I received my claim form today. I also received a letter saying "Notice of Third Federal Extension Filed" (this is actually the 3rd extension because the last one was called the Fed-Ed Extension). The numbers that are in my letter show that I will be receiving benefits for only 13 weeks. I thought it was going to be 14 with the possibility of 6 more making it a total of 20 weeks?

Last edited by tbsmom; 12-15-2009 at 05:54 PM..

Old 12-16-2009, 03:39 PM

736 posts, read 1,301,439 times
I have been collecting unemployment checks since later July. My balance looks to run out by January next year. I have not received any letter regarding extensions of any sort. So it looks like I don't get the extension?

Old 12-16-2009, 06:20 PM

41 posts, read 185,342 times
Hey TBSMom I received the same letter. I still think that we are qualified for the additional week on the 2nd tier. I think they are still a bit screwed up. Also, I presume if the Senate passes the 2 month extension through the end of February that the House did today, we would qualify for the additional 4th tier of 6 weeks for high unemployment states. Anyone else have any additional information?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California