Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 10:18 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,009,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
SF is one of the most expensive cities to live in the nation. I dont see how he will find any decent housing for under 1k month unless he lives in nasty oakland.
...claims the 'expert' from inland and south of San Bernardino....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 12:03 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,483,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9times View Post
I've searched and I've searched. I've been eliminating states and I'm down to AZ and CA. Off the top CA appeals much more, and I know that this isn't the best time to move without a job but I'd be moving with enough savings to live for nearly a year. Also I'm very much a freelancer. That being said:

1. I want warm weather. I'm looking forward to NOT owning a big coat.
2. I have nearly eliminated San Diego due to high costs, though I'm single and would be renting so it might be manageable. I'd prefer a city where I could afford to rent alone, and for under 800$ a month.
3. I'd like a highly walkable or bikeable community. I'm not in a hurry to purchase a car, and at most I'd like to purchase a scooter.
4. I'm not impressed by celebrity status and huge riches, yet I'm not ultra-granola/crunchy either. Hard to explain, but I'm sorta in-between. Would that be average?
5. I like a mix of cultures, and diversity in restaurants and cultural offerings.
6. I'd love to live in a vibrant downtown area.
7. More indy shops, farmer's markets, boutiques, less Wal-Marts.
8. Proximity to learning institutions, including healing arts schools is good.
9. Oh and I'd love to be close to water.

Just thought I'd post as I continued to search the site. Any kind thoughts appreciated.
No, you are not a "dufus" for wanting to move to California. And yes, there is probably a place for you somewhere in this gigantic state. As the other posters have said, though, I would have my freelance work lined up first. That said, you should be able to find work for pretty much anything freelance somewhere in the state. What type of work do you do?

Old 11-11-2009, 01:11 PM

127 posts, read 309,375 times
Thanks for all the suggestions. I've paid NYC rents for years and was looking forward to coming down a bit. Think I'll opt to live alone in AZ and visit CA more to see if a city there will be right for me.

Oh, I write and work in fashion. But I'll be focused more on studying for awhile.

Old 11-11-2009, 04:23 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,468,721 times
Chico

Old 11-11-2009, 08:09 PM

302 posts, read 864,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve97415 View Post
Chico
Chico's good. Small town in the middle of nowhere, but good.

Redding?

Old 11-11-2009, 08:15 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,521,234 times
Quote:
Think I'll opt to live alone in AZ and visit CA more to see if a city there will be right for me.
Prescott, or Sedona, or somewhere in between, better than CA, in some ways.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:40 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,943,383 times
becareful where you go in az, in yuma it has the 2nd highest unemployment rate in the nation 25%. its a very depressed area, and the weather is awful 5 months out of the year. sedona is nice but far from anything. arizona is #1 most troubled state just found that on yahoo.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:50 PM

302 posts, read 864,056 times
Really? I haven't heard a lot of buzz about AZ, especially in regards to unemployment. I believe you, I would have just thought that MI or NV or CA would be in the most deep right now.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:21 PM

1,882 posts, read 3,110,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9times View Post
I've searched and I've searched. I've been eliminating states and I'm down to AZ and CA. Off the top CA appeals much more, and I know that this isn't the best time to move without a job but I'd be moving with enough savings to live for nearly a year. Also I'm very much a freelancer. That being said:

1. I want warm weather. I'm looking forward to NOT owning a big coat.
2. I have nearly eliminated San Diego due to high costs, though I'm single and would be renting so it might be manageable. I'd prefer a city where I could afford to rent alone, and for under 800$ a month.
3. I'd like a highly walkable or bikeable community. I'm not in a hurry to purchase a car, and at most I'd like to purchase a scooter.
4. I'm not impressed by celebrity status and huge riches, yet I'm not ultra-granola/crunchy either. Hard to explain, but I'm sorta in-between. Would that be average?
5. I like a mix of cultures, and diversity in restaurants and cultural offerings.
6. I'd love to live in a vibrant downtown area.
7. More indy shops, farmer's markets, boutiques, less Wal-Marts.
8. Proximity to learning institutions, including healing arts schools is good.
9. Oh and I'd love to be close to water.

Just thought I'd post as I continued to search the site. Any kind thoughts appreciated.
Hermosa Beach.

Old 11-12-2009, 03:32 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,021,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
...claims the 'expert' from inland and south of San Bernardino....
Yrs back i lived in salinas & went to S.F. often. Oakland is a very undesirabled & depressing city. I live far enough from san bernardino to where i feel safe. If the op wants to live alone im sure he can find a studio apt for maybe $700.00 or so in a safe/decent area. He just gotta be quick to get it. In SB a studio apt is about $550.00 month. I dont know how much they are here in yucaipa. The op could check into Redlands, Beaumont or Banning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California