Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 05:52 PM

127 posts, read 309,375 times

Advertisements

I've searched and I've searched. I've been eliminating states and I'm down to AZ and CA. Off the top CA appeals much more, and I know that this isn't the best time to move without a job but I'd be moving with enough savings to live for nearly a year. Also I'm very much a freelancer. That being said:

1. I want warm weather. I'm looking forward to NOT owning a big coat.
2. I have nearly eliminated San Diego due to high costs, though I'm single and would be renting so it might be manageable. I'd prefer a city where I could afford to rent alone, and for under 800$ a month.
3. I'd like a highly walkable or bikeable community. I'm not in a hurry to purchase a car, and at most I'd like to purchase a scooter.
4. I'm not impressed by celebrity status and huge riches, yet I'm not ultra-granola/crunchy either. Hard to explain, but I'm sorta in-between. Would that be average?
5. I like a mix of cultures, and diversity in restaurants and cultural offerings.
6. I'd love to live in a vibrant downtown area.
7. More indy shops, farmer's markets, boutiques, less Wal-Marts.
8. Proximity to learning institutions, including healing arts schools is good.
9. Oh and I'd love to be close to water.

Just thought I'd post as I continued to search the site. Any kind thoughts appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 05:54 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,446,365 times
Most of those requirements don't exactly go with under $800/mo rent in this state.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:50 PM

Ok, how about a share for 800$. Guess I'll have to return to AZ to live alone for that. Thanks!

Old 11-10-2009, 06:51 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,446,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9times View Post
Ok, how about a share for 800$. Guess I'll have to return to AZ to live alone for that. Thanks!
Now that's doable.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:58 PM

Any city picks?

Old 11-10-2009, 07:04 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,306,923 times
I have an idea-- how about Davis, CA? Everything except for #9 and #2 (but not as expensive as many other places in the state).

Old 11-10-2009, 07:25 PM

Davis sounds good. I've heard lots about the bikeability of the city. Let me look more into it.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:38 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
I've searched and I've searched. I've been eliminating states and I'm down to AZ and CA. Off the top CA appeals much more, and I know that this isn't the best time to move without a job but I'd be moving with enough savings to live for nearly a year. Also I'm very much a freelancer. That being said:

2. I have nearly eliminated San Diego due to high costs, though I'm single and would be renting so it might be manageable. I'd prefer a city where I could afford to rent alone, and for under 800$ a month.
3. I'd like a highly walkable or bikeable community. I'm not in a hurry to purchase a car, and at most I'd like to purchase a scooter.
4. I'm not impressed by celebrity status and huge riches, yet I'm not ultra-granola/crunchy either. Hard to explain, but I'm sorta in-between. Would that be average?
5. I like a mix of cultures, and diversity in restaurants and cultural offerings.

Just thought I'd post as I continued to search the site. Any kind thoughts appreciated.
It's 69 times easier to find acceptable housing after you've found a job than it is to find a job after you've found acceptable housing.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:49 PM

36,657 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:

Have you ever been to San Francisco?

Aside from the weather(you wont need a big coat, but maybe a light jacket-LOL) and the cost of living, SF really meets every single one of your criteria effortlessly.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:50 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
the cost of living
Minor detail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California