Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 12:48 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by children42 View Post
Hey~ folks, here I'm come.

So surprised there's many people come to help me, thank you thank you thank you, you're far too kind ~O(∩_∩)O~ I see all you guys reply and I'm read every single word. I have lot of word to say about those reply, advise. But not now, now is nearly 3:00am in china, and I'm so tire, I gonna sleep, I will back and talk about it tommow.
Good night to me, and good morning or afternoon to you guys~~

The last thing I want to say is: Nita, I'm a guy, so I'm not "she", I'm "he"
ok he, get a good nights sleep!!!

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 05:05 AM

10 posts, read 19,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
For people that want to jump to a university for community college, it is a low cost alternative to get your "general education" requirements out of the way, which are typically your first two years of college and they are sometimes called "two-year colleges".

In California, you can transfer credits from a community college to a state university with no problem, but private universities and universities in other states are a case by case basis as far as I know. And of course you need to meet admission requirements and actually get admitted, which can be difficult depending on the school.

Community colleges are much cheaper than universities, but they typically do not have on campus housing like universities do, so you will need to arrange your own shelter.

What I would suggest doing is contacting a community college in the area you will be living and talking to a counselor to plan your education. Certain community colleges are favored over others for admissions in to particular universities, generally based on proximity.
Thanks~ You give me many information about Community College. I will choose a Community College and contact a cunselor later.

Old 11-13-2009, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
good afternoon or probably tomorrow to you: If you do not have any career plans yet, community college is a good place to start. You can take all your basic classes and then transfer to a university. There are so many community colleges in the state, where you apply will depend on where in the state you are thinking of living. Most of the locations have a pretty high influx of Asians so you should feel very much at home.

You ask the difference: community college is the first 2 years before you transfer into a regular university. When you do transfer you will have completed your first 2 years and most, if not all your classes will transfer.

Hope this helps you with some of your questions.

Nita
I have to say I'm already know those information that you give me. but thank you anyway.

Old 11-13-2009, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I did it. Completed my first 2 years at Ventura College in Ventura California. Went on to the state system and completed my degree. This was a cost effective way to do it. Also if your concern is with how employers will look upon the Junior College, chances are they will be interested more in the school that you transfer too and graduate from. I don't think you will be asked if you went to a Junior College before completing your education.

Something to consider is the options available to you at a Junior College (JC). You can work on your General Education credits at the school. You can work on an Associates degree, you can work on completing the entire first 2 years of a 4 year degree.

If you want to complete a 4 year Bachelors Degree contact a counselor at the JC and find out what it will take to do that. Options are the State School requirements and another system that if followed helps you complete the requirements for most Universities. You will want to speak to a counselor at the school. This is a method that will allow you in most cases to enter the University level system when your GPA or classes from your nation may not be accepted.

One thing to consider is that when you complete an Associates level degree that does not mean you have completed the first 2 years of a 4 year program. Differant requirements apply. Plan ahead and determine what you want to do so that you are not having to take additional classes.
Yeah, I'll take your all advise, but I can't understand last paragraph. What's the Associates level? I know something about Community College. For example: If I want study management and go to UCLA, I must select some match programme to study.

Old 11-13-2009, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
I wonder if you might need a sponsor to come to the States and attend community college. In any event, it would be advantageous if you could work here for the required time to apply for "in-state" tuition and then attend community college and save some money that way. I would think that the Chinese embassy in the States or a consulate could help you with this information.
I don't think Chinese embassy can help me, beside, I just want to go to US to study, it's nothing work and immigrant business. Thanks for your advise.

Old 11-13-2009, 08:37 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by children42 View Post
Yeah, I'll take your all advise, but I can't understand last paragraph. What's the Associates level? I know something about Community College. For example: If I want study management and go to UCLA, I must select some match programme to study.
At the Junior College level you can choose to complete an associates level degree, which is a 2 year degree. The JC's have differant requirements for those degrees, some of which are transferable, and some that are not. Some students make the mistake of completing an Associates degree and then transfering to a University only to find out that many of the classes they took will not satisfy requirements for the first 2 years of a 4 year Bachelors degree program. Their are differant reasons for going to college and some choose to get an associates degree to gain insight into a particular field or dicipline.

The only field that I know of that will offer a student a good career with an Associates is the Nursing program. A student can become a Registered Nurse, earn an Associates degree and earn an income after completing school.

Old 11-13-2009, 11:11 PM

Understand, thank you! About choose program I can talk to counselor to make sure my choose is transferable.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:37 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Community colleges to offer Web data on their performance - latimes.com

Old 04-09-2013, 01:57 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
I wonder what happened to the OP in the end? He posted 4 years ago and never came back, plus re-reading it appears the suggestions given to him were not terrible well received. I wonder what he really wanted to know???

Old 04-10-2013, 12:36 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,012,366 times

"He's" doing Off-Broadway theater. I caught one of his shows in Manhattan recently; very good! Lots of dramatic flair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California