Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 07:28 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
OF the towns you listed which one is mostly nice neighborhoods? That is no scrappy ones?
Also, why not add Camarillo to you list? It is in a nice area?
I don't have intimate knowledge at the street level of those two towns. I just knew people who lived there, and I visited them occasionally when I worked at Point Mugu. This is in the 1990s too so, of course things may have changed for both the better and the worse. Still, it would be worth the original poster's time to check these out. That's where excellent tools like School Performance Maps and Find All the Homes for Sale & Experienced Real Estate Agents | Redfin and Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed come in.

Yes, Camarillo too; might be more expensive though. Also, not quite as close to the beach (but neither are Fillmore, Piru, and Santa Paula).

Last edited by Yac; 12-08-2009 at 07:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 09:47 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,544,666 times
Would any SoCalers recommend Oceanside in this discussion? From what I've heard from a good friend of mine who owns a home down there, it seems like it would be a good choice here... though not sure what the job market would be for the OP.

As for NorCal options, I can't think of many areas under $300k near the coast that meet the criteria. You'd have to look a little more inland. Maybe Gilroy/Hollister?

Old 11-17-2009, 11:01 AM

1,312 posts, read 6,469,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludachris View Post
Would any SoCalers recommend Oceanside in this discussion?
Not from SoCal, but I have looked into it. I think the answer is a qualified "yes." For the right kind of person, Oceanside/Vista might be the relatively affordable end of coastal San Diego County. In particular, those who enjoy gardening or need more elbow room than what a 4,000 sq. ft. lot provides, will have an easier time finding suitable housing in SD North County than almost anywhere else in SoCal. Drought and wildfire liability are some of the concerns there.

I would perform my due diligence on aircraft training missions out of Camp Pendleton, though. I know there have been a lot of complaints about low-flying helicopters, both day and night, in some parts of Oceanside. I think Oceanside/Vista is probably an up-and-coming area. 20 years from now, it too, will be unaffordable.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:54 PM

33 posts, read 78,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
The average price for a home in Santa Cruz, for example, is between 8 and 9K!
Here's a link to a post that provides "heat maps" for CA real estate.
Good "heat maps" re: home prices
Hey thanks -- the heat map sounds very helpful but I can't figure out where it is after going into the link. Please help!

Old 11-19-2009, 11:44 AM

33 posts, read 78,524 times
Default How bout Santa Maria

Quote:
Originally Posted by impala666 View Post
I second Oxnard but north Oxnard the area near to Oxnard High school is OK.
I looked into Oxnard and Ventura and liked both of them. Do you know anything about Santa Maria? It seems to have the cheapest prices in the area while still being a nice place to live. Are the statistics correct on this or are there other things to consider when comparing prices of Santa Maria, Oxnard, and Ventura?
Thanks,
Ariel

Old 11-19-2009, 01:05 PM

405 posts, read 1,345,900 times
I'd avoid Santa Maria... it's right next to the San Luis Obispo (5 cities) area and there's a reason why the real estate is so much cheaper than its neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California