U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-17-2009, 08:52 PM

5 posts, read 12,788 times

Advertisements

My wife and I soon will become empty nesters and would like to relocate from the Plains to Northern California. We are looking for a place that combines the following:

- Great climate (warm enough to be outdoors in the winter). We are used to hot summers and do not mind them.
- Beautiful outdoor scenary
- Within 2 hours of quality fly fishing
- A solid job market
- A "village" atmosphere
- Good schools. Our kids are out of the house, but we want them to relocate and raise their families as well.

We lived in Italy and grew found of the Mediterranean climate. We want to get out of the frigid winters asap.

Any help would be appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 09:36 PM

3,697 posts, read 6,990,463 times
Hmm... Thats a pretty tall order especially for Northern CA. Southern CA has warmer Winters but is also more crouded - definately not a village atmosphere - LA/OC/IE/SD combined make a pretty large concrete jungle connected by 405/5 FWYs and much traffic.

I would say you need to prioritize what is most important and be willing to make some sacrifices in other areas.

Is climate number 1?
Define what solid job market is to you?
Do you want to live near the coast?
If you live inland are you willing to deal with poor air quality due to smog?
Do you want to be close to a large city? Usually stronger job markets are nearer the larger cities?
How about traffic?
Are you aware of the the high cost of Real Estate in the most desirable areas (e.g. best climate, jobs, schools, etc...)?

For our family Monterey is the best of Ca. But others would rather have hotter year round weather (eg - Inland Empire, Central Valley). But those areas have some serious smog issues. I lived in SoCal for most of my life. But I prefer coastal central and NorCal now for closer proximity to natural beauty, fresh air and living outside the concrete jungle.

YMMV,

Derek

Old 11-17-2009, 11:34 PM

25,485 posts, read 16,796,497 times
Much will depend on you price range.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:53 PM

1,309 posts, read 3,941,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TightlineO View Post
My wife and I soon will become empty nesters and would like to relocate from the Plains to Northern California. We are looking for a place that combines the following:

- Great climate (warm enough to be outdoors in the winter). We are used to hot summers and do not mind them.
- A solid job market
- A "village" atmosphere
- Good schools. Our kids are out of the house, but we want them to relocate and raise their families as well.
All you have to add to that list is "affordable cost of living" and you'd have the complete head-in-the-clouds delusional want list. At this point, I'd say Sebastopol, Healdsburg or some place outside of Redding, but you'll have to give up some of your criteria in favor of others and you'll need a hefty sum of transferable equity if you want to buy a place. The "solid job market" had me laughing out loud (guess you don't read the newspapers). Under the best case scenario, California's job market will move from its current "extremely weak" to "moderately weak" status over the next 10 years of so. 50 billion dollars of debt is a big hole for a state to dig itself out of. Central California might be a better bet, but you should bring your own jobs with you.

Last edited by Steve97415; 11-18-2009 at 12:09 AM..

Old 11-18-2009, 12:41 AM

3,697 posts, read 6,990,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve97415 View Post
All you have to add to that list is "affordable cost of living" and you'd have the complete head-in-the-clouds delusional want list...
LOL... And the frequency of these same type of posts seem to be increasing in the CA forum. These are much of the time from ppl who have never even visited the state. Basically its like come up with some dream list and ask "So where in CA is it anyway? Oh yeah and affordable living is important too?"

Maybe it is Hollywood, Disneyland or the notion of a mediterranean climate that adds to the wild musings and speculations of that perfect little town where livin' is easy and all dreams come true.

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 11-18-2009 at 12:50 AM..

Old 11-18-2009, 04:34 PM

2,895 posts, read 7,998,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TightlineO View Post

- A solid job market
- A "village" atmosphere

We lived in Italy and grew found of the Mediterranean climate. We want to get out of the frigid winters asap.

Any help would be appreciated.
The central coast (Santa Cruz county for example) is a mediterranean climate.
You think that's cold?
North of the bay is not warmer needless to say.
Sounds like you need to move to SoCal

Old 11-18-2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Hmm... Thats a pretty tall order especially for Northern CA. Southern CA has warmer Winters but is also more crouded - definately not a village atmosphere - LA/OC/IE/SD combined make a pretty large concrete jungle connected by 405/5 FWYs and much traffic.

I would say you need to prioritize what is most important and be willing to make some sacrifices in other areas.

Is climate number 1?
Define what solid job market is to you?
Do you want to live near the coast?
If you live inland are you willing to deal with poor air quality due to smog?
Do you want to be close to a large city? Usually stronger job markets are nearer the larger cities?
How about traffic?
Are you aware of the the high cost of Real Estate in the most desirable areas (e.g. best climate, jobs, schools, etc...)?

For our family Monterey is the best of Ca. But others would rather have hotter year round weather (eg - Inland Empire, Central Valley). But those areas have some serious smog issues. I lived in SoCal for most of my life. But I prefer coastal central and NorCal now for closer proximity to natural beauty, fresh air and living outside the concrete jungle.

YMMV,

Derek
Climate for means high/lows of no less than 55/32ish in the winter. We do not mind hot temperatures in the summer.

Given the current economy in CA, I should have indicated a community that typically has a strong economy. The economy is bad everywhere right now, although I am sure worse in CA than most places.

Do not need to live near the coast and would like to live within an hour or so of a large city for reasons of travel, jobs etc.

I am hoping that distancing our home from a major city by an hour cuts down on traffic. Is that possible?

As for the high cost of real estate, we have equity and are aware of the cost of real estate.

Thanks for your info. If you can add more, it would be appreciated. We have traveled a fair amount but not much in California recently. We are looking at CA principally because it is the only place in the States with a Mediterranean climate.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
The central coast (Santa Cruz county for example) is a mediterranean climate.
You think that's cold?
North of the bay is not warmer needless to say.
Sounds like you need to move to SoCal
Thanks for the reply. For us, a pleasant climate is relative to what we have currently which is bitter cold in the winter. So long as the winters are mild and the summers are humidity-free, we are happy. I am probably not interested in SoCal for other reasons.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve97415 View Post
All you have to add to that list is "affordable cost of living" and you'd have the complete head-in-the-clouds delusional want list. At this point, I'd say Sebastopol, Healdsburg or some place outside of Redding, but you'll have to give up some of your criteria in favor of others and you'll need a hefty sum of transferable equity if you want to buy a place. The "solid job market" had me laughing out loud (guess you don't read the newspapers). Under the best case scenario, California's job market will move from its current "extremely weak" to "moderately weak" status over the next 10 years of so. 50 billion dollars of debt is a big hole for a state to dig itself out of. Central California might be a better bet, but you should bring your own jobs with you.
I would like to think that we do not have our head in the clouds, which is why we are beginning to do our due diligence on a move and selecting a time when real estate may be more affordable. We have significant equity, at least at the moment. Much can happen on a daily basis these days.

We've been to Healdsburg and loved it. The only issue is that I am an avid fly fisherman, and I just would rather not travel 2-3 hours each time I want to fish. That may, however, be the reality. Redding is a town that I am looking at. It is 2hrs away from a major city, but that may be fine if the town is worth it. What is the personality of the town? Other than the current disaster of an economy, does Redding have any large employers, entrepreneurial base etc.? I do not know anything about Sebastopol.

Also, I have not focused my reading on the California economy, and will have to soon I understand. I have had concerns that serious tax increases would be coming there. Are there some credible places where I can get some summary information on the outlook on property taxes and other economic impact discussion?

Old 11-18-2009, 08:20 PM

12,670 posts, read 8,919,446 times
Howdy TightlineO...

I wood suggest taking a look at the Whiskeytown Lake area & the Lake Oroville area on

www.google.com

also look on Craigslist for the area real estate prices.

Best of Luck to You Bro...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California