U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 08:00 PM

14,131 posts, read 27,086,546 times

Advertisements

Which university do most Calfornia high school kids want to get in to? Which one do their parents most want them to go to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 08:06 PM

300 posts, read 1,114,383 times
Hummmm....like the most prestigious California U's? Well....USC, UCLA, Cal Berkeley, Stanford. Then there's some private schools- Pepperdine, University of San Diego, etc. As far as UC school- San Diego and Santa Barbara are popular. As far as STATE schools....the largest one is Long Beach, a main draw due to location. Second to that would be SDSU (at least here in Southern CA).

Schools nationwide? That's hard to estimate! There are so many people here that came from other states, different countries and backgrounds....there isnt ONE place that everyone wants to go to. For a lot of kids, it depends on the sport they play (if they want to do college sports) and if a school has a good program for their major.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:53 PM

5,113 posts, read 17,459,794 times
Yep, really hard to say. Liberal youth love Berkeley for obvious reasons. Party kids want Chico State and San Diego State, or even Orange Coast College(known for being on top of Playboy's list for hot girls). Technical kids want to get in to Cal Poly SLO and CalTech(Pomona is a good school, but poor location). Stanford is the Ivy league equivalent school. Etc etc

Old 11-17-2009, 10:32 PM

30,699 posts, read 33,467,623 times
There is no one answer to the OP's question. I told my kids they could go to any public college or university in CA, all they had to do was get in.

Old 11-18-2009, 01:08 AM

71,957 posts, read 83,612,165 times
That depends on the kid, the family finances and parents attitude. There is no right answer. If money wasn't an issue I think I would choose USC for my kids but don't know why. I have just always been an SC fan. My parents wanted me to go there, but I would have had to live at home. I didn't want anything to do with that plan...

Nita

Old 11-18-2009, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
Yep, really hard to say. Liberal youth love Berkeley for obvious reasons.
Interesting how Californians views their universities. In many states, especially in Virginia, the University of Virginia is considered the top school and is the one kids most try to get into (and the one parents want to brag that their kids got into). They usually end up having to settle for a second choice (usually also a very good public school).

You have an even more highly ranked public university, UC Berkeley, and yet it's seen as the place for the "liberal" kids, rather than the smartest ones who want to get the best education possible at the most prestigious school. Nothing wrong with that, since it spreads the demand more evenly between schools. Also, perhaps Californians aren't as educationally snobby. Just another difference between places I guess.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:09 AM

5,113 posts, read 17,459,794 times
The west is not nearly as educationally snobby as the east, probably because it is more tech and aerospace oriented(school means nothing, results mean everything) and the west has some disdain for northeastern elitism/blue-bloodism that perpetuates from those universities(Stanford mocked as a wannabe Ivy league school, people like Palin[whatever you think of her] being mocked as uneducated despite having a degree from a major university out west because she didn't go to Harvard, Columbia, Yale, etc like the political elite in the country tend to do).

You forget that California is enormous and is the most populous state in the nation by more than 12 million over the next state. California has the largest and highest rated public college system in the US(3 separate systems actually, UC, Cal State, and Community College systems). Something like 10 of the top 50 colleges in the nation are in CA. The top two public universities in the nation are Berkeley and UCLA. Choice is much more than just picking the top school because your state only has a few top schools. Berkeley is a completely different environment and mindset from UCLA, despite both being excellent schools. If you're a Southern Californian, chances are you'll fit in better at UCLA. If you're a Bay area resident, chances are you'll fit in better at Berkeley.

Old 11-18-2009, 01:55 PM

Excellent insights. Can't argue with any of it except I think Cal is a slight cut above UCLA (including more Nobels and a better football team). Agree that Stanford smacks of NE elitism.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:19 PM

403 posts, read 1,166,967 times
The OP needs to give more specifics... as messed up as California is, one thing we're tops on is the choice of advanced education. There is a college for everyone here... far too many to list.

As for the schools most want, Stanford, Cal, UCLA are among the most popular ( in general ). USC has an incredible alumni presence but doesn't have the academic reputation the others possess.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:05 PM

23 posts, read 156,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
The west is not nearly as educationally snobby as the east, probably because it is more tech and aerospace oriented(school means nothing, results mean everything) and the west has some disdain for northeastern elitism/blue-bloodism that perpetuates from those universities(Stanford mocked as a wannabe Ivy league school, people like Palin[whatever you think of her] being mocked as uneducated despite having a degree from a major university out west because she didn't go to Harvard, Columbia, Yale, etc like the political elite in the country tend to do).
I dunno why you bring up Sarah Palin... have you seen her university career?
1982, University of Hawaii, Hilo
1982, Hawaii Pacific University
1983, North Idaho College
1984, University of Idaho
1985, Matanuska-Susitna College
1986-1987, University of Idaho

I think she's being mocked for jumping around 5 different universities before getting her bachelors. Maybe that's what makes her "mavericky"... I don't know anyone who accomplished something like this.

And I'm surprised only one person mentioned CalTech... and that person said it was a "technical school." It's not a technical school, it's arguably the top engineering and sciences school in California and up there with MIT in the nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or