Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 12:52 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times

Advertisements

I found it funny that many of the Junior Colleges are dropping classes that would not help a student transfer to the University level. The JC's will be impacted as many students leave the UC's and CSU's for lower priced JC's. Why teach classes that will not help the student complete a BS or BA in the first place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 10:55 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
I can see why people would be upset at having to pay that much more to go to some of the second rate campuses like UCLA, but $10K/year is still a bargain for a Berkeley education.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:53 AM

1,465 posts, read 5,147,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
If high schools did their job (like they seem to in the rest of the developed world) college for everyone wouldn't be necessary.
I agree with the sentiment but I might reword it as "if parents did their job". I view it as a parent's responsibility and the schools being one tool.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:56 AM

1,465 posts, read 5,147,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I can see why people would be upset at having to pay that much more to go to some of the second rate campuses like UCLA, but $10K/year is still a bargain for a Berkeley education.
I have never heard anyone call UCLA a second rate school. They have some excellent programs there.

I think $10k is a bargain compared to private schools or public schools in some other states. Perhaps California has been over-subsidizing all these years.

btw, there are additional subsidies if the parents make less than $70k. In fact I think it is free. I am not sure of the cutoffs

Old 11-22-2009, 02:35 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownVentura View Post
I have never heard anyone call UCLA a second rate school. They have some excellent programs there.
Well they can hardly be considered to be on the same level.

Old 11-22-2009, 02:49 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The snotty and elitist attitude is on the part of these students who figure someone else should have to pay their way for them, they actually believe they are BETTER than hard working community college students or those university students too busy to party and riot because they are working after school.

A lot of us have degrees and we worked the entire time we went to college. We found ways to go that we could afford, it's these students who feel like they're special somehow, too good to have to make do with what they can afford.
Yes, some of these students are snotty and self righteous. But so was your comment.

As yourself this.....How may hours of work did it take when you went to college to pay tuition vs what it takes today? I think you'll find it's a lot harder for students to be able to work and pay tuition today than it was in years past. I'm only 39 and I see the difference between what tuition is now and what it was when I was in college. There's no way incomes are keeping pace with college tuition. It's a reality you can't deny.

Old 11-22-2009, 03:15 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Yes, some of these students are snotty and self righteous. But so was your comment.

As yourself this.....How may hours of work did it take when you went to college to pay tuition vs what it takes today? I think you'll find it's a lot harder for students to be able to work and pay tuition today than it was in years past. I'm only 39 and I see the difference between what tuition is now and what it was when I was in college. There's no way incomes are keeping pace with college tuition. It's a reality you can't deny.
I didn't pick the most expensive university to attend and I picked one within driving distance to my parents' home and where I worked. I worked 40-56 hours a week when I was attending college full time but a lot of it didn't go to just to college expenses. I also had a car but saved money by living at home.

As far as incomes not keeping pace - you also have to consider the incomes of the taxpayers who I'm sure the students expect to make up the difference, many people are unable to pay more taxes and getting tired of paying for everyone else, getting no benefit at all from all the money taken from them.

The students seem to not care about people losing their homes, the tent cities of homeless people who can no longer even pay for a place to stay. To me it looks like greed by these students.

It's time people catch on that the money is gone. States like California are spending much more than they are taking in, but they take far too much already from the working people who can't go any longer. If you raise taxes, the few people paying taxes will pack up and leave and then who pays for the state portion of the universities?

The students need to realize that they have to tighten their belts just like everyone else. Maybe give up the wild spring break vacation to Mexico or a couple of $100 concerts. Go out to eat a little less often.

Old 11-22-2009, 06:34 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Well they can hardly be considered to be on the same level.
Depends on what people want out of college. Berkeley isn't the golden goose for everyone. It's never impressed me more than other places, and I live in it's shadow.

Old 11-22-2009, 06:41 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,068,257 times
malamute, who said those schools are the most expensive to go to? They aren't, that in part is what made the attractive schools to attend.

What gives, it seems to me like you have something against people going to college?

Old 11-22-2009, 09:09 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
This is good news... I'm glad perception is changing and these degrees aren't holding weight.... It has just been a money system and social mandate for quite awhile... It is not really a good weeding out system because they let too many people in, and it lets people whos parents who are already rich get the prestigious degrees... The university system is pretty archaic esp after the advent of the internet. I can easily research and purchase or get an ebook of current books they are using at Harvard and Princeton and just read it myself vs. paying for a local class or a state school and use what they are using, or to sit in some program. Thanks for this thread. Sometimes I lean towards a grad degree but think that I might be sitting with the same numbskulls I sat with in undergrad. I am leaning towards the best route to just fight it out and go into business for yourself.

the current system forces many into ~20 years of debt slavery just to pay down their loans, it is a control mechanism, not that most of these people are offering anything new or advancing to society anyhow, just cogs in the machine. the equivalent of what many jobs just a few decades ago let you retire with full pensions out of h.s. ...getting a house is another thing as well that is much more difficult for what you get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California