U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 12:46 PM

1,170 posts, read 1,519,431 times

Advertisements

I am really liking this thread. It's a far cry from what I read on other threads, where entire cities (and sometimes regions) are verbally thrown into the trash with no thought whatever for their histories and their positive attributes. It almost brings tears to my eyes.

I currently live in Anaheim. I do not live near the downtown, though I am currently working not too far from it. I have not lived here very long but have traveled countless times through here so I apologize to life-long Anaheimers for anything I might miss.

Anaheim is doing some things to revitalize its downtown. It has a theater on Broadway not far from the city hall, and has a revitalized residential district (new old-stylized homes). This is the area around Harbor between Broadway and Lincoln, and points east, to around Lemon Street. This includes Anaheim Blvd.

People who grew up here and remember how much bigger "downtown Anaheim" was (extending down Lincoln west from Harbor almost to where the 5 is now) bemoan what has happened to the area through neglect.
Some people blame the Disney Corporation, but I am sure any role Disney had with this was through collusion with city officials, who in no way shape or form would turn down a relationship with a company that supplies (I believe) something like 30-40% of their city's tax revenue.

I don't say that Anaheim's downtown is a ghost town, but (especially along Anaheim Blvd north of Lincoln) there are businesses there that do not cater to a large swath of the population of the city. Some would say it resembles parts of Santa Ana. Others may not like that there are auto repair and restoration businesses clustered in the area, since they are not necessarily the most pleasing to the eye (and ear and nose).

However, I think it is a toss-up between a place like Anaheim and a place like Brea, whose "downtown", while esthetically pleasing and no doubt fills the city coffers with much needed revenue, is the result of a whole old town area that was pretty much razed sixteen years ago. Unless you walk along Brea Blvd. between Lambert and Ash, there is very little sense of Brea's story as a town.

I think Fullerton, of the places I know well, strikes the best balance. Not that everything is original, but at least enough remains from the distant past to where you have the sense of place.

(I love that I have a job with lulls where I can write stuff like this. Too bad I haven't been able to do this full-time and earn money at it.....I would have to do better, I know ).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 02:18 PM

16,585 posts, read 20,530,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
I am really liking this thread. It's a far cry from what I read on other threads, where entire cities (and sometimes regions) are verbally thrown into the trash with no thought whatever for their histories and their positive attributes. It almost brings tears to my eyes.
Yeah, imagine that. Someone actually posted something positive about Fontana. Whoda thunk?

Old 12-02-2009, 04:41 PM

8,044 posts, read 10,039,382 times
Regarding OC downtowns and older sections. There is a No Doubt video, I think it's Sunday Morning, that features an older section. OC is not limited to newer (or at least post War) plastic subdivisions.

Old 12-02-2009, 04:47 PM

25,291 posts, read 33,026,650 times
Love those Redwood City pics.

Old 12-02-2009, 06:11 PM

1,170 posts, read 1,519,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Regarding OC downtowns and older sections. There is a No Doubt video, I think it's Sunday Morning, that features an older section. OC is not limited to newer (or at least post War) plastic subdivisions.
Amen to that! With no disrespect meant to plastic! It just smells bad when it burns.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:37 PM

6,239 posts, read 12,013,745 times
along with what mrsltd said about anaheim, i have a few more thoughts.

up until recently, most people would have thought downtown anaheim and downtown disney were one in the same. unfortunately, downtown anaheim was razed for city hall and a shopping center years ago. the old neighborhoods that surround downtown are still around and in pretty good shape, so hopefully the city can build off that and the new apartments going up in the area to revitalize the downtown. i feel like i have a connection to the city as my grandma lived there nearly her whole life just behind anaheim high. my great grandfather also owned a bar in the old downtown before it was torn down for the old city hall building. it would be really cool to see anaheim's downtown match that of fullerton's or tustin's sometime in the future.

Old 12-03-2009, 05:02 PM

1,430 posts, read 5,311,527 times
Thank you to all who have participated so far. I can't wait see more city centers, across this magnificant state.

Old 12-03-2009, 06:01 PM

Fontana Theater, built in the thirties:

Sierra Ave, looking Southwest:

The Fountains at Sierra, affordable senior living:

Sierra Ave,South of the central business district, looking Southeast:

Old 12-04-2009, 11:22 AM

2,161 posts, read 3,222,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Fontana Theater, built in the thirties:

Sierra Ave, looking Southwest:

The Fountains at Sierra, affordable senior living:

Sierra Ave,South of the central business district, looking Southeast:
I love the '30's architecture! Super pics! Do you know if they're recent? *The skies are beautiful - esp. in the last photo*

Old 12-04-2009, 12:04 PM

They're all recent pics, SK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California