U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 11:38 AM

10,444 posts, read 14,006,153 times

Advertisements

Very few beaches have actual "boardwalks" made with wood, SC is one of the only places I recall having them and that's only along the amusement park area. Most "boardwalks" on CA beaches are just concrete basically but are still kind of referred to as "boardwalks" since they serve the same function but are just made of a different material. Lots of people riding bikes and rollerblading in addition to people just walking about too.

Northern CA beaches are nice to look at and hike around but not to spend an entire day at imo. They generally are cold, foggy, and windy much of the year. The water tends to be murky and dark on top of being very cold. But they are very scenic and postcard like. If you want to get away and be in nature, NorCal has some very nice, isolated beaches. There is very little in the way of a "beach scene" in NorCal and few people actually live along the coast. But the coast up there is stunning and very dramatic.

SoCal is much more beach/ocean oriented than NorCal. You have LOTS of cool beach cities right along the ocean with boardwalks, shops, homes, ect... It is much more crowded though as most of the coast from LA to SD is developed. The water is clearer, bluer, and warmer overall. The weather is warmer and b/c of that you see a much bigger, more vibrant beach scene in Southern CA. The boardwalk where I live in packed with people during the day, especially on weekends. For people watching, Southern CA beaches are the best in CA.

Basically two different scenes but both are worth checking out for different reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 01:35 PM

14,642 posts, read 12,605,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk - Millions of Memories at California's Beachfront Amusement Park Santa Cruz has one of the few boardwalks in California. It's crowded in the summer. The water seems to be clean and the waves are moderate by the boardwalk. A lot nicer than Asbury Park, NJ .
For someone who is used to the Boardwalks in New Jersey, Santa Cruz is a joke. It's not even made of wood, yet they call it a boardwalk. When I first saw it, I thought they were kidding.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:55 PM

10,537 posts, read 14,059,997 times
Ventura and Port Hueneme have concrete walk ways, we would call them sidewalks. Not normally near the water, usually on the sand between the parking areas and the sand. Many meander around in a curved fashion, some with picnic tables and barBQ pits near them. Most are used for bike trails. In Ventura and Santa Barbara they even have bike rental companies that you can rent normal bikes to 4 wheeled peddle vehichles that can seat up to 6 people.

Most of what would be like a carnival atmosphere, would be something like Santa Monica's Pier. It includes lots of cool shops, amusement park, game areas, and cool sights. But then again it is a pier and it heads into the ocean, does not run parelel to the ocean.

Old 12-01-2009, 03:29 PM

3,480 posts, read 9,193,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
For someone who is used to the Boardwalks in New Jersey, Santa Cruz is a joke. It's not even made of wood, yet they call it a boardwalk. When I first saw it, I thought they were kidding.
The Santa Cruz boardwalk was once all wood. I don't remember what it's now (like who cares??). I was last there in Oct and I really didn't notice what it was made of .

Old 12-01-2009, 04:52 PM

1,608 posts, read 2,239,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
...to 4 wheeled peddle vehichles that can seat up to 6 people...

It's called a surrey.

Thanks, so far this is very interesting

Old 12-01-2009, 06:35 PM

10,537 posts, read 14,059,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
It's called a surrey.

Thanks, so far this is very interesting
Cool. The 4 wheeled bikes have a name? I am even learning here. Never too old to learn something. lol

Old 12-01-2009, 07:31 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,474,035 times
Properly a surrey should have fringe along the top.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California