Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 07:38 AM

10 posts, read 34,620 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,
I am considering moving to F-V area for settling. I did some internet based research. There are some issues that I need to get further info. Can you please help? I can settle in any of the cities of Clovis, Fresno, Visalia, Reedley, Sanger, Exter, Dinuba, Tulare or Hanford.
1- Are there family friendly areas? ie where kids can run around in the backyard, where you can forget to shut garage door at nights, where folks would stop and offer help if they see my car broken down by the curbside, where grocery store clerk smiles when thanking you, where people stop and let you come on the street from a side street, where honks are rare, quiet neighborhoods?
2- I understand taxes are high, but I also understand taxes are needed for growth and upkeep. I understand illegal Immig is a strain on the resources and have been a big equation in SoCal. How big an equation is it likely to be in F/V area in futue? Will it chase away tax-paying people? Does it make Hosp consider shutting down? Will it drain resources away from spending on health, safety, infrastructure etc?
3- How bad is traffic likely to be in future? Will we repeat SoCal experience?

I dont care for crime-ridden areas. I can avoid them. I dont care for weather. Every place will have its weather issues. I am aware of the housing/expensive issue as well and I can live with that. Religion or need for diversity is not an issue either.

Thanks you for your kind help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 08:16 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Yes, there are quiet neighborhoods, but I wouldn't leave my garage door open.

Illegal immigration has a big impact in the valley. They are "needed" for farm labor, and some smaller towns depend on them for their economy. There seem to be a large number of uninsured people, legal, or not, that end up in the ER because they can't afford to go to the doctor.

I hope traffic is never as bad in the valley as in LA, but there has been talk of sprawl eventually linking Fresno-Kerman-Fowler-Kingsburg-Selma-Sanger into one big mess of urban sprawl like LA. It could happen.

The air quality in the valley is horrible. you might want to look into that too.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:30 AM

1,687 posts, read 6,072,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlan View Post
Hello Everyone,
I am considering moving to F-V area for settling. I did some internet based research. There are some issues that I need to get further info. Can you please help? I can settle in any of the cities of Clovis, Fresno, Visalia, Reedley, Sanger, Exter, Dinuba, Tulare or Hanford.
1- Are there family friendly areas? ie where kids can run around in the backyard, where you can forget to shut garage door at nights, where folks would stop and offer help if they see my car broken down by the curbside, where grocery store clerk smiles when thanking you, where people stop and let you come on the street from a side street, where honks are rare, quiet neighborhoods?
2- I understand taxes are high, but I also understand taxes are needed for growth and upkeep. I understand illegal Immig is a strain on the resources and have been a big equation in SoCal. How big an equation is it likely to be in F/V area in futue? Will it chase away tax-paying people? Does it make Hosp consider shutting down? Will it drain resources away from spending on health, safety, infrastructure etc?

I dont care for crime-ridden areas. I can avoid them. I dont care for weather. Every place will have its weather issues. I am aware of the housing/expensive issue as well and I can live with that. Religion or need for diversity is not an issue either.

You will find quite a few family friendly areas in all of those cities. In fact that may be one of the strongest points of the areas you mentioned. I'd also add a few small cities like Kingsburg and Fowler.

For example, as I posted on another thread, my neighbors here hold block parties, pool parties, bunco parties, etc. In the summer neighborhood kids set up sno-cone and lemonade stands. Chalk drawn games appear on the street and sidewalk. Last night my wife was outside gardening and ended up talking with 3 different neighbors before she came back inside. She went across the street to talk because the family was outside with their 3 year old who kept waving and calling out hello to my wife.

I wouldn't necessarily say you can leave a garage door open all night anywhere any more and feel completely safe, but there are many very safe areas in the Central Valley.

For example, the city of Clovis has a crime rate similar to Mission Viejo, one of the lowest in the state. Fresno has cut its crime rate below that of Sacramento and San Francisco.

Fresno and Tulare Counties (covers all your cities but Hanford) have both passed transportation sales taxes to help improve roads and public transit so even with growth that should help avoid traffic problems.

Fresno County (Fresno, Clovis, Sanger, Reedley) also has passed sales taxes to improve the county libraries and the Fresno Zoo. So that probably also shows a focus on families and kids.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:37 AM

1,687 posts, read 6,072,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post

I hope traffic is never as bad in the valley as in LA, but there has been talk of sprawl eventually linking Fresno-Kerman-Fowler-Kingsburg-Selma-Sanger into one big mess of urban sprawl like LA. It could happen.
You may not have heard that the Valley cities from Chowchilla to Visalia have started a regional plan group. They are working together to create transportation corridors linking the area while preserving the farmland and open space in between cities.

It actually looks like they are agreeing on some things this time.

We may avoid the large uninterrupted city mass.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:40 AM

764 posts, read 2,036,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlan View Post
Hello Everyone,

1. Yes, lots of family-oriented areas for sure. I wouldn't make a habit of leaving the garage door open, but I've done it accidentally and had nothing taken. Helpful people, nice clerks, yes those are around. Not in every neighborhood, but in nicer areas.

2. Illegal immigration is an important issue, but it's also not new. These areas have managed to grow and prosper despite the issue that II brings. No, hospitals won't close because of it.

3. Not SoCal level, no. There are plans in place at the city, county, and regional level to be forward-thinking in solving traffic issues.

Old 08-25-2008, 12:23 PM

thanks everyone for your help.
How worried are you about the budget crisis? Is it something real or just political bru-ha-ha of maligning the other party?

Old 08-25-2008, 06:49 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
You may not have heard that the Valley cities from Chowchilla to Visalia have started a regional plan group. They are working together to create transportation corridors linking the area while preserving the farmland and open space in between cities.

It actually looks like they are agreeing on some things this time.

We may avoid the large uninterrupted city mass.
That's good.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:04 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,828,468 times
There are a couple of smaller gems that you have overlooked.... Selma and Kingsburg. We lived in Selma for about 15 years and raised our kids there. (Just left 4 years ago) We knew all of our neighbors, had "Block Parties" in the Summertime and one of the local grocers was kind enough to give my children and I a ride home when our car broke down!! (more than once )

Never had to worry in the least when our kids were running up and down the block playing. And I couldn't tell you how many times we forgot to close the Garage door! Usually one of the neighbors would give us a call, but if they didn't it was no big deal.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:57 PM

I am open to all towns in that area. A good neighborhood is more important than the name/size of the town.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:07 PM

3 posts, read 13,403 times
REEDLEY: Schools, Reedley College, 5 elementary schools, 3 K-8 schools, 2 high schools, 2 private schools, 1 boarding school. [URL="http://www.kcusd.com"]www.kcusd.com[/URL] Reedley High is best known for its outstanding music program and performing arts program with their 400 member marching band a.k.a BIG GREEN MARCHING MACHINE. Div. II County/Metro Athletic Conference. Immanuel High is best known for their performing arts. It is a private Christian school. Div. IV Central Sequoia League. The city of Reedley is 25,000+ with a small town charm. Just take a walk through downtown Reedley. The city lies along the Kings River where locals go tubing, kayaking, canoeing, drive their boats, and enjoy the sand that Reedley Beach offers. Reedley is centrally located. 30 min commute to Fresno or Visalia. 3 hour drive to LA or SF. 1.5 hour drive to the Central Coast. The 3 National Parks are really close by, Kings Canyon, Sequoia, Yosemite. Here's my advice: SEARCH UP "REEDLEY" on Wikipedia and you will get all your answers there. Awesome city with a small town charm. There's an Opera House, a future Sports Complex, Sierra Kings Hospital, the Blossom Trail, the Rails to Trails, a unique downtown that hasn't been engulfed by second hand stores. Reedley offers its history with the promise of progress while keeping its small town charm. Honestly, Reedley is a great place to live. Haha, and if you want your kids to stay home for a little longer, Reedley College is close by that it will be tempting not to stay for 2 more years at home. WIKIPEDIA: Reedley, California
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California