U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 11:11 PM
Status: "Enjoying the the beauty of the PNW" (set 10 days ago)

5,506 posts, read 12,371,032 times

Advertisements

NPR is doing a series on Humboldt Counties prime industry - pot. Many ppl are moving into the area and cashing in on pot business and grow houses. All someone needs is a doctor's recommendation to grow their own jungle of buds in 100 sq ft area of their own home.

Quote:
Marijuana is now infused in almost every aspect of the region's economy. In Humboldt County, you see a glut of hydroponics stores, selling fertilizer and grow lights for cultivating cannabis. At the food co-op, you can order hemp milk and hemp butter...

Humboldt County has lots of pot entrepreneurs. One of them calls himself "Bucky Buck." He gets paid to convert homes into indoor marijuana operations, or "grows."

"It used to be like the Grateful Dead-style hippie thing, everyone's peace and chill," he says. "But now it's more like these aggressive, just transient kind of lifestyles. It's not like the whole peace, love and granola thing anymore."
The full transcripts are interesting to read. But I always enjoy listening to the show more as much can gleaned in listening to the tone and overall vibe - NPR Media Player

My biggest question is what will happen to these profits if California finally legalizes Marijana? If the common dirt farmer can grow weed and it becomes as available as cigars and cigarettes will the Emerald Triangle loose its primary industry again like it once did with logging?

Derek

Old 12-01-2009, 11:21 PM

8,275 posts, read 26,346,044 times
I can buy a bottle of 12-year-old scotch whisky for 30 bucks and a box of handmade cigars for 50 bucks, yet pot sells for thousands a pound?

Even if marijuana becomes legal in CA, the price will stay high because there are 49 other states to sell it to. The people involved in production of MJ have a vested interest in keeping MJ prices high, their insane profits. There is a certain pricing power the seller gets by having an illegal, essentially taboo product.

Legalization would destroy the profit motive and destroy those northern CA economies along with it. The price of MJ would collapse when faced with widespread backyard cultivation. MJ would be worth perhaps a little more than coffee or tobacco (have you ever seen what the process of getting coffee from field to table looks like?)

The idea that Medical MJ and the MJ trade is a bunch of gentle, peace-loving hippies is one of the more laughable images to come from this state's collective grand delusion. The reality is that for every hippy there is a thug, but no pothead can bear to admit that their "medicine" may have been produced by a killer.

I have said this before - I have nothing against MJ even for recreational use - and I even support some sort of regulated legalization - but what is going on right now is a low point in California's culture. "medical marijuana" is turning out to be nothing but a big joke and a middle-finger at both the people who respect the law and the few people who truly want to use this drug for medical purposes.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:31 PM
Status: "Enjoying the the beauty of the PNW" (set 10 days ago)

5,506 posts, read 12,371,032 times
Yeah,

I agree for the most part. I mean Marijana is not just about peace, love and live and let live anymore. Its a Big Business- Humboldt Counties prime cash crop. And so those profiting the most from it now would see huge potential loses if it became fully legalized. So I think keeping it illegal would be in their best interest. Otherwise all those growers would be so common the price would drop right through the floor. Then what industry would they look to to prop up their local economy?

Derek

Old 12-01-2009, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
I mean Marijana is not just about peace, love and live and let live anymore.
It's a plant that gets you high. It's got no moral component. It's neither good or bad. Sometimes Hippies smoke it and giggle and watch TV and sometimes gangsters smoke it and do a drive-by. MJ is not the cause or the effect, it is just the buzz, just like booze or pills or whatever. We all have to get past this idea that MJ is something more than what it is, that it's something special or different. The sixties are over, it's time to let it go.

As long as there is insane profit to be made, then there will be people of low moral caliber trying to get their hands on that money. I find it hilarious that a person who decries Wal-Mart as evil could justify smoking MJ commonly grown by both US and foreign drug cartels using toxic chemicals in National and State parkland.

The inability of the state and cities of CA to properly craft a law to adress the implementation of prop 215 (passed ten years ago) is just a one of many grand failures of our governments to address basic quality-of-life issues in so many CA cities.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:40 AM

1,458 posts, read 5,268,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Yeah,

I agree for the most part. I mean Marijana is not just about peace, love and live and let live anymore. Its a Big Business- Humboldt Counties prime cash crop. And so those profiting the most from it now would see huge potential loses if it became fully legalized. So I think keeping it illegal would be in their best interest. Otherwise all those growers would be so common the price would drop right through the floor. Then what industry would they look to to prop up their local economy?

Derek
In a way, it's like Aghanistan and the poppy growers.

Maybe instead of calling northern CA "The State of Jefferson", it should be called "The State of Aghanistan"

Old 12-02-2009, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvaden View Post
In a way, it's like Aghanistan and the poppy growers.
It's closer to that than you think.

If you want to read the sad story behind the sham that is Medical Marijuana in Southern California, read these articles:

Los Angeles News - L.A.'s Medical-Weed Wars - page 1
A visit to the medical marijuana doctor -- latimes.com
High fashion in the medicinal high business -- latimes.com

Old 12-02-2009, 12:05 PM

7,412 posts, read 8,246,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
I can buy a bottle of 12-year-old scotch whisky for 30 bucks and a box of handmade cigars for 50 bucks, yet pot sells for thousands a pound?

Even if marijuana becomes legal in CA, the price will stay high because there are 49 other states to sell it to. The people involved in production of MJ have a vested interest in keeping MJ prices high, their insane profits. There is a certain pricing power the seller gets by having an illegal, essentially taboo product.

Legalization would destroy the profit motive and destroy those northern CA economies along with it. The price of MJ would collapse when faced with widespread backyard cultivation. MJ would be worth perhaps a little more than coffee or tobacco (have you ever seen what the process of getting coffee from field to table looks like?)

The idea that Medical MJ and the MJ trade is a bunch of gentle, peace-loving hippies is one of the more laughable images to come from this state's collective grand delusion. The reality is that for every hippy there is a thug, but no pothead can bear to admit that their "medicine" may have been produced by a killer.

I have said this before - I have nothing against MJ even for recreational use - and I even support some sort of regulated legalization - but what is going on right now is a low point in California's culture. "medical marijuana" is turning out to be nothing but a big joke and a middle-finger at both the people who respect the law and the few people who truly want to use this drug for medical purposes.
Marijuana sold in dispensaries isn't expensive and the quality is quite good.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Marijuana sold in dispensaries isn't expensive and the quality is quite good.
Please explain to me how a plant which can produce several ounces of product per plant and requires little-to-no investment or knowledge to produce, can be worth 4-5 thousand dollars a pound.

Coffee, a product that takes years to produce and weeks of hard manual labor to prepare for sale, costs less than 10 dollars a pound.

What is the explanation for this incredible price difference? Does anyone actually believe that the cost of producing a pound of pot, even at a 300% retail markup, is a thousand dollars a pound?

"Police say the profits taken by pot dispensaries are often stratospheric — a charge pot advocates deny. But in the West Valley early this year, where 51 weed dispensaries operate, when the LAPD busted five linked locations they found a treasure trove of receipts showing that the small shops had together taken in $48,802 in a single day from 353 customers plunking down an average of $138."

"The dispensaries often charge customers double, or better, what they paid to organized crime groups, gangs and California growers for their pot, law enforcement officials say. It’s not unusual for pot clinics to charge $25 per gram or $540 per ounce, double what the growers charge them."

"Robert Holcomb, the Devonshire Division detective in charge of narcotics enforcement, says that with 100 plants capable of producing about 200 pounds in a hollowed-out suburban Valley home, and with a pound of ganja selling to dispensaries for about $4,000 to $5,000, a home-grow can bring in $800,000."

http://www.laweekly.com/2009-11-26/n...al-weed-wars/8

Old 12-02-2009, 12:20 PM

7,412 posts, read 8,246,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Please explain to me how a plant which can produce several ounces of product per plant and requires little-to-no investment or knowledge to produce, can be worth 3-4 thousand dollars a pound.

Coffee, a product that takes years to produce and weeks of hard manual labor to prepare for sale, costs less than 10 dollars a pound.

What is the explanation for this incredible price difference? Does anyone actually believe that the cost of producing a pound of pot, even at a 300% retail markup, is a thousand dollars a pound?
Nobody buys that much marijuana because it would last years. People don't want to spend the time growing their own weed plus others can steal the plants if grown outside. Marijuana, like wine, has different characteristics depending on where it is grown. There is something in the soil or climate of coastal Northern California that seems to produce good quality marijuana.

You can grow your own weed in California but if you want a certain kind of marijuana it is best to buy it. Plus the dispensaries have edibles and hash, etc. It only costs $20 for around an ounce of weed in the stores.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
You can grow your own weed in California but if you want a certain kind of marijuana it is best to buy it. Plus the dispensaries have edibles and hash, etc. It only costs $20 for around an ounce of weed in the stores.
According to this:
Radical Thoughts on Medical Marijuana Dispensaries | NORML Daily Audio Stash
and this...
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...type=printable

The price is ~$300-400/oz

"the labeling of the prices for 1.7g (one 1/16th oz) and 3.5g (one 1/8th oz), which seemed to be $44/eighth, once you figure in the 8.25% sales tax."

"Kristen Baumgartner, 22, who just completed chemotherapy treatment for bone cancer and said cannabis helped reduce nausea and stimulate her appetite, strolled out of a club on a recent afternoon with a $405 ounce. "

Based on what I have heard, prices are $20-25 a gram, not per oz.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or