U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 10:07 PM

15,206 posts, read 24,835,064 times
Yeah, Watts and Compton - those are pretty nice areas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2007, 10:21 PM

38 posts, read 5,694 times
have you heard the term "drive by shooting" it was coined in either watts or compton. i have realatives in compton and i won't go there.

Old 05-19-2007, 11:02 PM

9 posts, read 65,601 times
In CA it is hard to say anymore. It seems everywhere has jumped. I currently live in the High Desert Apple Valley to be exact. It is not affordable anymore. 8 years ago I bought my home for 60,000 in a quite neighborhood with great neighbors. Now 8 years later it is worth 265,000 and the neighborhood has went to the dogs. I posted a minuted ago that we think we heard a gun shot down the street. We are currently ready to move out. Apple Valley used to have the small town, good people and fair rent. But not anymore, as someone posted earlier, gangs are here now, the helicopter is always going bye, welfare is ramped. It is no longer a good place to be. In my opinion.

Old 05-20-2007, 01:06 AM

193 posts, read 1,058,637 times
Robi528...don't blame you for wanting to move out. A gun shot on your own street in Apple Valley? Who would have thought?

Old 05-20-2007, 03:44 AM

104 posts, read 474,439 times
Default Affordable CA??

Rwarky has not replied to any of the responses...perhaps it was just a question to see how good our sense of humor is? CA affordable? I agree with CityGirl72's reply: what does the poster consider "affordable"?

High Desert? It is all relative as to what each of us prefers as far as scenery, size of town etc. Personally, I don't care for any of the high desert areas - not anymore at least. MANY years ago the crime rate was very low and housing cost was very low; but again, that was 20+ years ago.

How about Needles? I found a 3+2 doublewide on the Internet for 80k...now, there's a steal! I guess it is if you want to live in a trailer in Needles...but, again, it's all relative isn't it? Some may find Needles the Garden Spot of America.

In all seriousness, unless you bought your home in CA when prices were within reason (say, before the mid 1980's), I have no idea how anyone in CA can afford the mortgage payments, unless they make mega bucks, or everyone in the family works two or three jobs.

Old 05-21-2007, 04:09 AM

3 posts, read 56,126 times
The answer is very easy--do not, under any circumstances, move to California. Don't get yourself stuck in the trap. Sure, there are places that are "affordable" by national standards, but affordability is also a question of not can you afford it, but SHOULD you. It's ALL overpriced, even if the price looks cheap. Check out the ten-year price histories on Zillow.com and notice all the locations where prices past 2005 suddenly went up 50%, 100%, sometimes as much as 250% in some locations. WHAT fundamental economics could justify that? Did everybody suddenly find gold mines or oil wells under their houses? To buy a house that has had that kind of price jump is to throw your family's fiscal health down the drain. Would you pay $15,000 for a used car that is worth $5,000? Why would you spend $350,000 on a house that should be $120,000, then (or, more likely, spend $700,000 on a house that would be $120,000 where you live now)?

I believe the cheapest "nice" county in California is Lake County around Clear Lake, but you wouldn't be near a lot of jobs, if getting a job is what you need. It is possible that the far northeastern counties of California (such as Modoc County) are also extremely cheap, but those are semi-desert and absolutely in the middle of nowhere.

Central Valley cities (Modesto, Stockton, Visalia, Bakersfield, etc.) are cheaper than coastal cities, but unemployment there is among the highest in the nation. Also, crime is high in these regions.

A question I have investigated for myself is "where is it affordable near Los Angeles?" and there are two unsatisfactory answers. One answer is the Lebec, Frazier Park area about an hour and a half drive north out of Los Angeles. Beyond the expense of commuting into L.A. from that distance (with gasoline now approaching $4.00 a gallon), not to mention all the time wasted, is the fact that this region is in a snow zone, which means that in winter you have to add time to putting chains on and off your tires to your morning commute. The second answer is one that is even farther out, about three hours east of Los Angeles in the desert beyond Mojave to California City and beyond. About a year ago, they were actually selling one-acre plots of desert land out there for $5,000 each, but now even those have seen a price increse to about $15,000 to $20,000 each. What you do out there on those lots, I'm not quite sure, but commuting back and forth to L.A. from them is not one of them.

Basically, the answer is to "stay in Ohio" or wherever it is that you already live. The California dream is a dream of the 1950s, and it began its death throes in the 1970s. Now that it is the 2000s, the California dream is a mummy.

Old 05-21-2007, 04:36 AM

104 posts, read 474,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasdosborneii View Post
The answer is very easy--do not, under any circumstances, move to California. Don't get yourself stuck in the trap. Sure, there are places that are "affordable" by national standards, but affordability is also a question of not can you afford it, but SHOULD you. It's ALL overpriced, even if the price looks cheap. Check out the ten-year price histories on Zillow.com and notice all the locations where prices past 2005 suddenly went up 50%, 100%, sometimes as much as 250% in some locations. WHAT fundamental economics could justify that? Did everybody suddenly find gold mines or oil wells under their houses? To buy a house that has had that kind of price jump is to throw your family's fiscal health down the drain. Would you pay $15,000 for a used car that is worth $5,000? Why would you spend $350,000 on a house that should be $120,000, then (or, more likely, spend $700,000 on a house that would be $120,000 where you live now)?

I believe the cheapest "nice" county in California is Lake County around Clear Lake, but you wouldn't be near a lot of jobs, if getting a job is what you need. It is possible that the far northeastern counties of California (such as Modoc County) are also extremely cheap, but those are semi-desert and absolutely in the middle of nowhere.

Central Valley cities (Modesto, Stockton, Visalia, Bakersfield, etc.) are cheaper than coastal cities, but unemployment there is among the highest in the nation. Also, crime is high in these regions.

A question I have investigated for myself is "where is it affordable near Los Angeles?" and there are two unsatisfactory answers. One answer is the Lebec, Frazier Park area about an hour and a half drive north out of Los Angeles. Beyond the expense of commuting into L.A. from that distance (with gasoline now approaching $4.00 a gallon), not to mention all the time wasted, is the fact that this region is in a snow zone, which means that in winter you have to add time to putting chains on and off your tires to your morning commute. The second answer is one that is even farther out, about three hours east of Los Angeles in the desert beyond Mojave to California City and beyond. About a year ago, they were actually selling one-acre plots of desert land out there for $5,000 each, but now even those have seen a price increse to about $15,000 to $20,000 each. What you do out there on those lots, I'm not quite sure, but commuting back and forth to L.A. from them is not one of them.

Basically, the answer is to "stay in Ohio" or wherever it is that you already live. The California dream is a dream of the 1950s, and it began its death throes in the 1970s. Now that it is the 2000s, the California dream is a mummy.
AGREE 100%!! You are correct, 1970's was the beginning of the end of affordable housing in CA. The "land speculators" hit CA in the 70's and began buying up houses faster than the blink of an eye and reselling even faster to make a quick profit. Their gameplan continued until the residents were infected with the greed bug and started doing the same....and the rest is history. Where it all went wrong is when the speculators left the "gold coast" and moved on to new territories but the CA residents didn't have enough sense to see where it was leading.

Before we knew it, housing prices skyrocketed to the point that mortgages reached the unreachable. Then the job market hit rock bottom and companies began laying off employees, or companies left CA altogether for greener pastures. That left many without jobs and unable to make their house payments.

In the mid to late 80's so many people wanted to get out of CA that there was a 6-8 wk waiting list just to rent a U-Haul! Home buyers began to walk into their banks and drop the house keys on the counter and get in their car and head East.

Two and sometimes three families would live together in hopes of making the mortgage payment.

It became a land of total insanity, and all because too many wanted to see how much money they could make by buying and selling quickly.

And now what do we have in CA? A living nightmare. Sure, if you bought a house pre-1970 and are still in the same house then you are okay...taxes have increased, but you no longer have a mortgage payment. And IF you needed to sell and move out of CA you'd come out smelling like a rose.

BUT, for those who still need to buy a home in CA, it is completely out of reach unless you earn $500,000/yr and up. And only a handful (compared to the total population in CA) earn that much money.

So, again, as Thomas wrote...stay where you are and live within your means.

Old 05-27-2007, 10:04 PM

25 posts, read 190,404 times
Default RE: affordable california? siskiyou and humboldt are cheaper than ANYPLACE IN CONNECTICUT!

Hi, I came across this site while first working on something in my novel and looking up monticello FL ; then decided to research some rural seemingly affordable northern california counties ; as I am considering moving either there or possibly rural oregon.

CONNECTICUT IS VERY EXPENSIVE ! SO IS NEW YORK CITY AREA ; MUCH LIKE SAN FRANCISCO CA. [ actually manhattan is higher even in harlem!] right now I am on an SSDI check and being displaced from mom's condo here in yuppie semi-rural , yet relatively fast paced and full of stuck up people southbury,CT . and even if I could get section 8 ? hartford? bridgeport? even ansonia or torrington all sucks full of hip hop gangstas [ actually willimantic out east is our cheapest with 1 BR apts for $590 and up and yes, gangstas!]

that, and I find most of the people here in CT to be some of the coldest, most cliquish,family-oriented, busy all the time , overly " modest" and totally UPTIGHT when it comes to fashion and " what not to wear" ; people I have ever seen. it is hard to make friend here unless you fit in as " one of them" and " know how to present yourself to live in their world ! "

but being a transexual woman in transition ? I have live someplace where I have rights , and at least this is one thing good about connecticut . calif.;new york; vermont; new mexico; illinois; maine;oregon;washington state; rhode island, and mass.[ both expensive like CT] are the few states in which they will allow me to keep my female gender designation upon recieving that state's driver's license! [ FORGET FLORIDA! which is not that cheap anymore, and the SOUTHERN " bible-belt " STATES! cheap but very red of neck! ]

I was thinking about upstate new york , loads of mobiles, apts, and small houses for $450-$550 within 4-5 hours drive of NYC.very pretty,green mountains,very poor and somewhat redneck/hillbilly with many artists, and quiet! but with the 7 month long " snowbelt" winters ? I re-thought about that one . vermont is nice , but now almost as expensive as connecticut ! and COLD IN WINTER . being that my low cost clinic where my endocrinologist is at is in manhattan, NYC ; this was why I thought of both upstate NY and VT ; to be within 3-5 hours of NYC .

and so, I am looking at siskiyou, humboldt, trinity, maybe lassen, shasta, or butte. that and also , southern oregon seems to be affordable, somewhat, as well , and from what I've heard ; has many laid back and reasonably open minded people similar to northern california.

finding a clinic similar to callen lorde , well that is the best reason to live in the big city , I guess ; as san francisco does have one . but I have heard that medi-cal covers hormones , endocrinologists, and well [ though they deny this! ] according to national center for lesbian rights ; the SRS in part or full if it is " medically nessesary" according to your appeals claim; for CA residents!

after a few rides on those crowded subways in NYC , and the aggravating traffic and tailgaters even here on all of connecticut's overcrowded " country roads" ; I decided I'd rather live away from " yuppieville" and " hip hop ghettoville" in some trailer or small house ; and well ; both northern CA and southern OR seem to have the lifestyle I want; within a state that has both hate crime laws and anti-discrimination laws in place [ forget mississippi, texas, or south carolina! ]

Old 05-27-2007, 10:20 PM

25 posts, read 190,404 times
RE: who wants to know's post- oh, and more on CONNECTICUT , AND OF COURSE ; THE GREATER NEW YORK CITY/LONG ISLAND/NEW JERSEY/TO BOSTON AREA[ actually from washington DC to southern maine!] in southbury CT , 4BR 2-1/2 bath home with a 2-3 car garage on 1-2 acres= $799,000+ want cheaper ? try ansonia CT a " dumpy old valley town full of abandoned factories; where for $339,000 you get a 60 yr old cape cod on 1/4 acre! even torrington CT is now $150-200,000+ for an old ranch home. white plains NY apts are $1,600 for just 1 BR houses , that same cape is $600K upstate new york around chenango to genesseo county - there you may find an older mobile home for just $12,000 , house in country for about $150,000-200,000[ apts/trailers are $350 to $600/800=the oil heat for 7- 8 months! I think the northeast and calif are similar???

Old 06-06-2007, 05:42 PM

8 posts, read 68,568 times
Default Very Expensive

I live a mere half mile from the beach (Seal beach Belmont shore)/In southern cali and I consider my self blessed. My 1 bdrm condo lists for $369,000 and I don't even have a balcony. A typical home in the housing tract next door will sell for more than 1.2 Million. And that is average!

Costal communities are still on the rise. Any city that touches the ocean or is just one city over is still climbing eventhough the rest of the nation is falling. Costal southern california is the most sought out real estate in the nation. Everyone wants to come here and I can't blame them. Because of our near perfect weather we enjoy 300+ days a year it is a real charmer to both business and consumers alike. A typical 4 bedroom 2.5 bath house in costal OC sell for about 750-800 on average. This is a good thing if you were already an owner but to those getting into the house market or those who dont make $75,000+ a year it is a sobering realty that you will not be a homeowner anytime soon--if ever.

The inland cities are still somewhat affordable but keep in mind that even 1 hour inland the cliamte changes drasticaly. On a day where it is 85 degrees on or very close to the beach it will be 100-105 in Fontana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California