U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-20-2007, 01:34 PM

23 posts, read 75,614 times
Default Affordable for the coast!

I guess it depends on what you are looking for. Many idealize CA and picture hot, sunny beach days. Go to So Cal and face the crowds! We have miles of beautiful beaches and sand dunes, and you have them almost totally to yourself or an occasional horseback rider. Los Osos is a town of only about 15,000 but close to San Luis Obispo, 1.5 hours to Santa Barbara, the Big Sur Coast, Paso Robles wine country! We are the most reasonable coastal town in CA and the weather is in the 60's and 70's year round. The only drawback is fog in the summer.
Susie in Los Osos
Montana de Oro State Park is spectacular!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2007, 10:25 AM

25 posts, read 190,404 times
yeah, I spoke with this woman who lives in westwood CA -lassen county . she is , like, the local director of a PFLAG group [ her son being gay and "out" and now in NYC of all places] anyway , after calling her for some information as to where I may find a decent endocrinologist[ maybe chico, redding, or reno!] she had warned me of how the local " republican welcome wagon" welcomed a new black preacher to their wonderful , warm community! what happened ? well they BURNED THIS HUGE CROSS on the new african american's family's front lawn! all I could say was " having lived down in orlando florida for 13 years , this sounds like what they did often in say, sumter county fla's center hill or coleman, maybe lake county florida and the panhandle!" OH WELL , I GUESS THAT SPEAKS FOR ITSELF ON HOW WELL " DIVERSITY" IS WELCOMED IN LASSEN COUNTY BY ALL THOSE " NICE CHRISTIAN " RANCHERS! she suggested that I may be happier if I instead chose CHICO , even REDDING OR RED BLUFF AREA. [ not that here in connecticut , we did not have our very own KKK wannabees- THE WHITE WOLVES ; show up about a year and a half ago to protest the CT civil unions act [ now law] .[ funny how such a wonderful animal such as the wolf has been given such a bad name by the humans ???]

Old 08-04-2007, 11:30 AM

2,498 posts, read 7,430,993 times
Probably the Clear Lake area.

Old 08-04-2007, 07:37 PM

4 posts, read 62,815 times
Cool Most affordable CA Cities

Hey, If your looking for affordable living in CA. Don't come to Yreka. Yea the realestate is affordable, but everything else is not. We have possibly the highest gasoline prices in the state. Groceries, furniture, even fast food is expensive. Most of the locals Here travel to Oregon to do their major shopping. It's a shame. The county has probably the highest rate of welfare and SSI recipients in the state. The drugs here are a big problem. Meth to be exact. Teen pregnancy also seems to be quite high. Probably because of the redily available welfare. Hey free money. If you don't want to work, and get all kinds of free services, well then, your more than welcome. The city is right off Interstate5. It should be booming. I won't get into other reasons why it's not, because it has to do with lack of interest by a lathargic group of self proclaimed politicians. Any way. If you like the outdoors please come it's beautiful. Enter the town at your own risk, Outsiders are not welcome. I and many others whom I've talked to feel the same way after relocating here. Please where ever you go do your home work.

Old 08-05-2007, 04:44 AM

2,613 posts, read 3,574,506 times
Affordable/California = oxymoron

Old 08-05-2007, 06:20 PM

21,157 posts, read 25,980,705 times
In defense of the Yucca Valley area: it seemed to have more of that 'Old School' California vibe when the dream was to flee back east for decent weather, etc. 30-50 years ago

If I had to live in Cali again (I am now in Arizona); it would likely be along Hwy 62 between Morango Valley and Joshua Tree.

I am uneasy about 29 Palms........the further east one goes towards Vidal Junction; the 'spookier' the vibes are.

Old 08-07-2007, 11:40 AM

31 posts, read 130,065 times
Default "Affordability" is all relative......

Just had to jump in as I read some of these posts regarding housing affordability...... I am a born and raised Vancouverite who has visited the states several times over the past few years. Right now I am fantasizing about buying a piece of land in the Yucca Valley to use as a vacation place for the next few years, then move there full-time when I retire. Have just been doing a little bit of digging to see what prices are. Just to give people a bit of perspective from another area of the world: I live a half-hour (on our rapid-transit line) outside of Vancouver in a (very dumpy) little city called New Westminster. My place is a 600 square foot open plan condo loft in a converted post office/warehouse. It's very funky with high ceilings and exposed pipes but still very basic (IE: no high-end finishes, just cheap carpet, laminate counters etc.) I bought it five years ago for $84,000 (which was a STEAL at the time) and right now it's worth around $220,000. So as I said, just to keep things in perspective - what something is WORTH is what it is worth to someone to LIVE there. Is a 600 square foot condo WORTH over 200K? Of course not. Would I buy it NOW at that price? I couldn't afford it! Why have prices gone INSANE in the past 5-10 years? Because people started BUYING. Where there's smoke, there're fire...... everyone wants in. So hey - nobody move to Joshua Tree 'cause I want my five acres and if everyone else moved there I won't be able to afford it! LOL

Old 08-07-2007, 07:20 PM

21,157 posts, read 25,980,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mausketeer View Post
Just had to jump in as I read some of these posts regarding housing affordability...... I am a born and raised Vancouverite who has visited the states several times over the past few years. Right now I am fantasizing about buying a piece of land in the Yucca Valley to use as a vacation place for the next few years, then move there full-time when I retire. Have just been doing a little bit of digging to see what prices are. Just to give people a bit of perspective from another area of the world: I live a half-hour (on our rapid-transit line) outside of Vancouver in a (very dumpy) little city called New Westminster. My place is a 600 square foot open plan condo loft in a converted post office/warehouse. It's very funky with high ceilings and exposed pipes but still very basic (IE: no high-end finishes, just cheap carpet, laminate counters etc.) I bought it five years ago for $84,000 (which was a STEAL at the time) and right now it's worth around $220,000. So as I said, just to keep things in perspective - what something is WORTH is what it is worth to someone to LIVE there. Is a 600 square foot condo WORTH over 200K? Of course not. Would I buy it NOW at that price? I couldn't afford it! Why have prices gone INSANE in the past 5-10 years? Because people started BUYING. Where there's smoke, there're fire...... everyone wants in. So hey - nobody move to Joshua Tree 'cause I want my five acres and if everyone else moved there I won't be able to afford it! LOL
The Vancouver, BC area is essentially Canada's 'California' in both weather and free spirit attitudes compared to say, Toronto I suspect.

Old 08-08-2007, 10:57 AM

8 posts, read 42,684 times
are you renting or buying? I guess I would say Riverside area is fairly affordable for buying. the cheapest you can find range in 350K to 400K if you consider that affordable. You can buy an amazing town home off the 15 and 60 fwys (if you don't mind the smell of cows) for as low as 260K. If you're renting. I guess if you don't live in Calif. now...then find a job first and base your rent on what you can afford based on your income. MOst apt. rentals for a one bedroom at cheapest in a decent area are 1,000 a month. That's not including your first month's rent and a deposit. So expect to throw down some dough.

An area that you'd never believe is getting some fixing up is East Los angeles. It's known for being predominantly Latino but borders Monterey Park which is predominantly asian/pacific islander and overall the area is cleaning up and becoming more and more diverse. I think it's because they are building a metro train route through there. Who thought there would be a Starbucks in East Los Angeles?pretty cool I think. Even the graffiti has become less. I heard alot of investors are buying up the properties, fixing them up and selling them. Currently I know rent there ranges from as low as 600 to 1,000 a month. You can always find a place in your price range...it all depends on what you want to surround yourself with and if it's a temporary situation or a long term. GOod luck.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:20 AM

1,887 posts, read 3,536,357 times
Salton Sea has houses for less than 150K. Secluded, scarcely populated and filled with natural beauties. Just take a look.

Google Image Result for http://parkerlab.bio.uci.edu/pictures/photography%20pictures/Venus%20over%20Salton%20Sea.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California