U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 06:55 PM

60 posts, read 255,001 times

Advertisements

feankie1, we're disappointed to hear your report on Yreka as we have been considering it, along with southern oregon towns for relocation. But we're middle aged vegetarian, animal loving folks who would need a job in construction (general contractor with small business). We've spent time in the area in our fifth wheel camping trailer and love the feel and seasons, even the old houses. Is the town stuck in good old boy red-neck mode? Thought it might have changed with the influx of folks from all over as the southern oregon towns have to some extent. But, maybe not too many new people with broader perspectives have moved there. Big bummer... how long have you been living in Yreka and what is your occupation?

I, too, would definitely not recommend that the transgender person move to the far north of California... they're not ready for that yet and it could mean much pain and isolation, I'm afraid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2007, 07:29 PM

7 posts, read 43,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
What cities or metropolitan regions in California, if any, have the most affordable cost of living (i.e.: housing, groceries, utlities, etc.)?
If we have found a nice place to live in California, with low rents, low crime, low housing costs, etc, why in God's name would we want to invite you and your friends here?

Old 08-08-2007, 07:37 PM

7 posts, read 43,156 times
Yreka is full of hicks. I never felt as comfortable as when I lived in North Carolina. The only people here who welcome outsiders are the real estate agents. Most of the citizenry are outraged over the raping of our county by outsiders. If you think you will be welcomed with opened arms, go somewhere else. Also, Oregon doesn't like you either.

Old 08-09-2007, 11:10 AM

60 posts, read 255,001 times
Good grief, donutbandit, you sound like an unhappy person. We are native Oregonians raised in Northern California, raised our own families in the smaller towns of Central and Northern California. We've lived here for 60 years, volunteer at schools and animal shelters, built houses, repaired other people's houses so they look nice, pay taxes, have kids in America's military, kids who are teachers, and who own little mom and pop stores. We have raped nothing and contributed much. So where have you been and what have you contributed? Getting older and having a very modest income, we need those lower prices the small towns have to offer. Moving to try new surroundings and see what OUR West has to offer is part of the American Dream.

Old 08-09-2007, 11:21 AM

4 posts, read 63,791 times
[quote=Thai;1238914]feankie1, we're disappointed to hear your report on Yreka as we have been considering it, along with southern oregon towns for relocation. But we're middle aged vegetarian, animal loving folks who would need a job in construction (general contractor with small business). We've spent time in the area in our fifth wheel camping trailer and love the feel and seasons, even the old houses. Is the town stuck in good old boy red-neck mode? Thought it might have changed with the influx of folks from all over as the southern oregon towns have to some extent. But, maybe not too many new people with broader perspectives have moved there. Big bummer... how long have you been living in Yreka and what is your occupation?

I, too, would definitely not recommend that the transgender person move to the far north of California... they're not ready for that yet and it could mean much pain and i

Old 08-09-2007, 12:06 PM

4 posts, read 63,791 times
Thai: If your vegetarian you'll have to shop in Oregon. The prices are much cheaper. Organic food here is way over priced. That includes the market in Mt shasta city. Greed is rampent here and there. The town is stuck in the past. they also don't appreciate what compitition means. They hate it. If your an outsider you'll have a hard time breaking into the construction contractor business. It seems as though they have the opinion that price fixing is O.K. (that is my opion only)Change is coming. These old timers need to face that fact. I welcome and admire a person who can come here and break through the barriers, of change. So I welcome you with open arms. bring all your new ideas. You didn't mention if you were transgender. If so more power to ya. I am not your judge, I leave that job to a highr power. Just as other people should. Shame on you!

Old 08-09-2007, 08:33 PM

6 posts, read 37,400 times
You are quite the poet! Seriously, though, you make alot of really good points! For a couple who is considering relocating to CA from Philadelphia, you certainly have given us some grist for the mill! Thanks!

Old 08-09-2007, 08:42 PM

6 posts, read 37,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graffixjones View Post
I currently live in Butte County, and while my town is not too bad as far as culture goes, we're second behind in San Diego in housing prices vs. real wages in the entire nation!

Oroville is probably the last affordable enclave in our county, but the economy sucks, unless you want to work at Home Depot or WalMart, and it has the worst meth problem in the county.

One thing to keep in mind about California... if you can find someplace affordable, it's because nobody wants to live there!
If it's affordable, it has problems that are keeping Californians away... and in today's market, where everybody is looking for a more affordable place to live, that should be quite telling.

Just my own personal experience.

Also, while I agree that the high desert is quite beautiful, the meth labs and corpses would keep me from ever wanting to live there.

Good thoughts. We found a cute little bungalow in Santa Clara for about $1800 -- we did a little research, only to find it was a few miles from the San Jose airport and in the flight path. No wonder it was so cheap! Glad we didn't take it.......

Old 10-29-2007, 01:43 PM

26 posts, read 195,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donutbandit View Post
If we have found a nice place to live in California, with low rents, low crime, low housing costs, etc, why in God's name would we want to invite you and your friends here?
wow! the connecticut yankee attitude if there was ever any! LOL actually I am considering the northern calif . area , possibly yreka among others, but being that I am now living back in the same state [ CT] where I grew up as a teenager , I had to comment on this one! I can still remember back in 1974 , my family having moved to newtown [ then 17,600 now close to 30,000+ ] back in the days when you could ride a bicycle without a car passing in 5-10 mins. NOT NO MORE ! southbury here, where I live now { or " exist" } was so quiet you'd do the same on its main st south down the traffic lanes. and roxbury/washington CT had no cars at all after say 11 PM in 1979. NOT NO MORE.

only now can I better understand why they hated us " lawn guylanders" from new york . CT has become just as fast-paced, expensive, and overtaxed [ we've got " personal property tax" on autos here! ] ; even the ghettoes are expensive. yet in roxbury , despite being driven nuts by all those " rural suburanites", mostly busy soccer mommies and corporate daddies on the go 24-7-365 ; they still have just a gas station called roxbury garage , the roxbury general store, ice creamery restaurant and a few churches and white colonial homes. of course the cheapest , among very few , rentals cost over $950-1000 month with homes starting at $300,000-$500,000 , but the rich weekend new yorkers still call it " country "

Old 10-31-2007, 10:31 AM

4 posts, read 27,517 times
Default cherylsass123

I just wanted to tell you about this little town I discovered by accident while taking a short-cut home...
The town is Trinidad Colorado near the New Mexico border. It has been put back on the map by a doctor who has been helping people with gender re-assignment! I was totally shocked to learn this as I thought it was just another cool mountain town with old houses...I don`t have much more information but if you google it I am sure you can find out more by contacting the area hospital. I hope this helps you and best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California